Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

7 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Disagree, Ramirez's wage alone proves we started spending bigger the moment Mcinnes left. That season we also payed fees for besuijen, Jet and bates as well I think? Brown would have been on a higher wage than anything Mcinnes could have offered either.  

I agree however Goodwin was given even more to play with but of the three Mcinnes clearly had the smallest pot and imo it's because Cormack wanted to move him on.  

Aye but McInnes was likely in significantly more than Glass was, so shits and roundabouts.

Would JET have been on big wages? He would have been on commission minimum wage & relying on tips at Livingston.

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Aye but McInnes was likely in significantly more than Glass was, so shits and roundabouts.

Would JET have been on big wages? He would have been on commission minimum wage & relying on tips at Livingston.

Just read that back and hardly any of that made sense 🤣

Been a loonnngg day.

I am getting to the point where I don’t think keeping Leven as caretaker until end of the season would be a disaster - if it means waiting to get the right person in. Warnock’s departure has caught the FMB with their pants down.

Obviously, if the right person is available then get them in the door but I hope the club don’t rush this and do it properly. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, STFU_Donny said:

I am getting to the point where I don’t think keeping Leven as caretaker until end of the season would be a disaster - if it means waiting to get the right person in. Warnock’s departure has caught the FMB with their pants down.

Obviously, if the right person is available then get them in the door but I hope the club don’t rush this and do it properly. 

Doing it properly would involve employing the technical director before the new manager. For me, unless there's an outstanding candidate for manager that waiting a month to employ would cause is to miss out on him, we get that position filled in the international break and allow them to get the lay of the land before getting a manager that suits their vision.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Doing it properly would involve employing the technical director before the new manager. 

Agreed*

*Assuming the new technical director is qualified for the job and not just another puppet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slim said:

The reigning ‘German Football Manager of the Year’ who managed a Budesliga team in the Champions League last season? Seems highly unlikely.

Currently unemployed 2bf

7 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Nothing on the club website.Looks like Fischer is off to Freiburg

Message from a mate, has been correct in the past but has also been way off the mark many times.

7 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Nothing on the club website.Looks like Fischer is off to Freiburg

Not yet he's not E.D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Message from a mate, has been correct in the past but has also been way off the mark many times.

Not yet he's not E.D

If memory serves the consultants  we brought was a German company?  

Wouldn't be totally shocking if we brought in someone with German football experience from that pov

On 21/03/2024 at 20:40, RicoS321 said:

Aberdeen are set to announce the appointment of up and coming young manager, Peter Leven Neil Warnock, with a contract until May March 2024.

My level of expectation right now

• Like 2

We really are that unattractive these days, aren’t we? Mental owner, freeloaders, Weird board thingy and a paper thin squad with no realistic euro prospects. I know there’s a route through the cup, but really? I’m fully expecting Lemon to appear now:

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

We really are that unattractive these days, aren’t we? Mental owner, freeloaders, Weird board thingy and a paper thin squad with no realistic euro prospects. I know there’s a route through the cup, but really? I’m fully expecting Lemon to appear now:

I'm not sure how it compares to other leagues in this regard (probably similar), but the club is mainly unattractive for reasons outwith our control. There is such a low chance of success up here because of the absolute domination of two teams. The cups are largely a lottery, as has been shown this century (our only win coming through the luck of the draw, for the most part). I doubt that there are many people looking at Naismith at hearts just now, for example, despite a good season (and he's only in that role because the other options were pish). There's also a weird myth that up and coming young foreign managers will come to Scotland in order to get seen down South, as if there are clubs bigger than us who are somehow unaware of the locations from which we fish for managers in the 21st century. As a stepping stone, we're not really an attractive option, as if you're good enough for Aberdeen already, then the English championship clubs that you will attract if you do well will already know about you. It took McInnes a good few years of sustained success to be offered a job, with even clubs like West brom going through about 80 managers without testing their club legend. Alex Neil was the last manager I can think of that actually stepped up from a club lower than the Dons to one higher (Tam Courts went to Honved, but probably not a step up from us). Most managers come here, do badly or do well, then get sacked or move sideways. Taking Aberdeen back to third place would barely raise an eyebrow. Consistently doing it for three years might get Sunderland to take a punt on you. If you're coming to Scotland, then you're far better off going to a smaller club, where the ceiling is a bit higher and there's a good chance to outperform your budget by several league places (like Martindale). Even then, yer Martindale's and Robinson's don't seem to get much traction.

I've said it many times before, we should approach our managerial appointments in the same way we do players. Get the backroom in place, with heaps of support, and promote within - preferably - or get young managers from in Scotland or elsewhere. Make it very clear that this is our approach so that fans are less quick to scream at them (although it's not unusual to hear people screaming at our young players!). I just don't believe that we're an attractive club to any manager that is at a club close to us in size, and in order to get someone we'd end up paying a ridiculous amount. Even after that point, we'd still have the lottery of the transfer window, which has an outsized effect on our season (more so than manager in my opinion). I believe that all three of our managers would have greatly benefited from an experienced technical guy above them, who'd have steered them away from the repeated mistakes they all kept making (Glass playing out from the back, Goodwin playing Ramadani in the hole, Robson playing Clarkson similarly (but for different reasons). Obviously, the difficulty would then be in getting the technical guy right and retaining him, but I'm guessing that there are many out there who can combine the psychology and football knowledge without wanting the upheaval that comes with management.

• Like 3

Nobody in the media - social or otherwise - seems to have a clue about what’s happening or where we are yet, as usual, there are folk all over the place getting worked up into a frenzy.

Much better to take however long is necessary to get the right guy than to rush into something to appease the fans. In an ideal world, the technical director or whatever we’re calling it should be coming in first or at least at the same time, having had an input into the manager.

The team will be - relatively - fine with Leven in the short term as over the last few games we’ve been much better defensively so will hopefully pick up enough points to keep county and the rest of them at bay.

Edited by wee toon red
  • Like 2