Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Next manager

41 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Mmmm the clock is ticking on Robson.

Worst win percentage of any permanent Aberdeen manager.

Let's put that into context. Worse even than McGhee

Nae idea of who we might get, but the club should be already planning for what looks like an inevitable parting of the ways.

What's Robbie Neilson up to these days 😂

Club should always have next manager candidates lined up even when the manager is doing well. I seriously doubt we do on the evidence of the replacement of Glass and Goodwin.

4 minutes ago, Jute said:

Club should always have next manager candidates lined up even when the manager is doing well. I seriously doubt we do on the evidence of the replacement of Glass and Goodwin.

I think that is wishful thinking. A manager's position is so volatile that they can never really plan to be available. You can certainly look at managers, of course, but if they are with a club and go on a run of defeats then they don't look so promising, or if they're not with a club, then it's very unlikely they'll still be available when the time is right (unless they're shite and nobody wants them). If they do well then they're maybe out with our budget. That said, I do think we had a manager lined up when Goodwin was appointed, it's just that it was Goodwin. I am almost certain we'd had a close watch on him since the Glass appointment. I don't think utd will give him back though.

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Considering Robson was caretaker for three months before being given it permanently, you'd like to think the club in that time were looking at suitable candidates, and therefore still have a list of potentials to move for should Robson not work out.

Or am I just being naive?

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Considering Robson was caretaker for three months before being given it permanently, you'd like to think the club in that time were looking at suitable candidates, and therefore still have a list of potentials to move for should Robson not work out.

Or am I just being naive?

They will have, but half of those are probably now employed elsewhere because they were successful or turned out to be shite after all. 

On 29/10/2023 at 15:09, BigAl said:

Mmmm the clock is ticking on Robson.

Worst win percentage of any permanent Aberdeen manager.

Let's put that into context. Worse even than McGhee

Nae idea of who we might get, but the club should be already planning for what looks like an inevitable parting of the ways.

What's Robbie Neilson up to these days 😂

You not counting the games before he was formally appointeed?

Stats ive seen say he has a 41% win ratio

McGhee had 24%

Curious for people’s thoughts on Stephen Robinson at st mirren. Decent experience and from what I recall did ok at Motherwell. Don’t watch st mirren so no clue about the quality of play but based on results he must be doing something right??

well traveled, good age, and knows our league. Other than going the foreign route no clue who is appealing and out there, one of the reasons I think Robson got the job to begin with.

34 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Curious for people’s thoughts on Stephen Robinson at st mirren. Decent experience and from what I recall did ok at Motherwell. Don’t watch st mirren so no clue about the quality of play but based on results he must be doing something right??

well traveled, good age, and knows our league. Other than going the foreign route no clue who is appealing and out there, one of the reasons I think Robson got the job to begin with.

St. Mirren looked very good against us few weeks back that then it was against us!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

He's a good solid manager, like McInnes. I like him, but I don't think he'll be what we're looking for. 

Regardless, Robson now on an unbeaten 45 minute run, so we're sorted.

5 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Curious for people’s thoughts on Stephen Robinson at st mirren. Decent experience and from what I recall did ok at Motherwell.

This sums it up for me. We should be raising the bar higher for the Aberdeen job.

Has had a good three months. But it's November, let's see what he achieves over the season.

Jack Ross

Jim Goodwin

Robbie Neilson

Paul Hartley

All managers who had decent spells, were hailed as impressive young managers, made a step up and got found out.

You could of course add Barry Robson to the above group. But he's about to win the League Cup..

Robinson like a typical fast talking Scottish league manager that can lift a side for a season or so,but can't sustain it. He's done better at Saints than I expected though,but judge him at the end of the season.

Question for me is,if Robson wins the Hibs game well on Saturday,does he buy himself to the January window...

20 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Robinson like a typical fast talking Scottish league manager that can lift a side for a season or so,but can't sustain it. He's done better at Saints than I expected though,but judge him at the end of the season.

Question for me is,if Robson wins the Hibs game well on Saturday,does he buy himself to the January window...

He's here until Christmas anyway... a cup semi is acceptable - albeit the bare minimum - and we're a game in hand away from 4th place. Against the backdrop of basically a whole new team and the distraction of Europe then he's doing alright, if not exactly setting the world on fire.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

He's here until Christmas anyway... a cup semi is acceptable - albeit the bare minimum - and we're a game in hand away from 4th place. Against the backdrop of basically a whole new team and the distraction of Europe then he's doing alright, if not exactly setting the world on fire.

Agreed. Some of the stick he's been getting elsewhere has been way OTT.Assess again at Xmas,and judge if he looks like he's learning,and expect a few more dodgy results/formations til then

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wee toon red said:

Against the backdrop of basically a whole new team and the distraction of Europe then he's doing alright, if not exactly setting the world on fire.

I hope he gets a bit more time and certainly if he wins on Saturday then you have to give him a crack at the final but I don't agree he's doing alright.  This season it's played 17 with 5 wins, 5 draws and 7 losses.  That is poor by anyone's standards. 

I think the Europe thing is a poor excuse.  If you look at the Championship in England, they basically play 2 league games every week of the season so we cannot really use the excuse of too many games. 

9 hours ago, wee toon red said:

He's here until Christmas anyway... 

Agreed. I think the board, like the fans, will be disappointed with some (a lot of) the performances and results.

However, he's had enough good performances to show that maybe there is something there and they should hang fire. You can't argue he's useless when he's won at Ibrox, stuck four past Ross County and Motherwell, was close to results against Frankfurt and PAOK, and this time tomorrow night could be in a cup final. And add to that leading the club to third after the Goodwin shambles last season.

And the board don't want to be accused of being trigger happy anyway, and as poor as it's been under Robson at times, it hasn't reached the critical levels it did under Glass and Goodwin yet.

I think we're all just bemused at this long ball football when we've actually managed decent results when we've passed the ball.

9 hours ago, Elgindon said:

Agreed. Some of the stick he's been getting elsewhere has been way OTT.Assess again at Xmas,and judge if he looks like he's learning,and expect a few more dodgy results/formations til then

The Hat and Twitter? Aye. The Dons support can be a cesspit at times. 

There's a large percentage of Aberdeen fans who never wanted Robson and will refuse to accept he'll ever be the right man. Winning the league cup won't change that, because it didn't for McInnes who suffered the same (not from the majority, but a very vocal minority) and even at his peak was still receiving ridiculous criticism.

8 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I think the Europe thing is a poor excuse.  If you look at the Championship in England, they basically play 2 league games every week of the season so we cannot really use the excuse of too many games. 

Yes and no.

To be fair, everyone in the Championship is playing the same number of games, and they all have similar sized squads, so therefore there's no real advantage. That's not the case with us - we're playing more games than everyone bar the two clubs with massive resources and bigger squads.

However, don't complain the players are tired when you're essentially picking the same team every week bar two changes.

And stop launching long balls that gift the ball to the opposition meaning we're always chasing and having to press to get it back, then claim the players look leggy.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Panda said:

However, don't complain the players are tired when you're essentially picking the same team every week bar two changes.

That’s a strange one because he has not used the squad at all. I know we are not privy to training but Robson must be thinking a lot of our signings are just not up to it.  The likes of Williams, MacDonald, Dadia, Sokler and Gueye really have not had a chance. Seems like we are handicapping ourselves by relying on the same group of players all the time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

That’s a strange one because he has not used the squad at all. I know we are not privy to training but Robson must be thinking a lot of our signings are just not up to it.  The likes of Williams, MacDonald, Dadia, Sokler and Gueye really have not had a chance. Seems like we are handicapping ourselves by relying on the same group of players all the time.

It's extremely difficult, and was always going to be so. MacDonald has been unlucky with the timing of his injury and also the signed defenders being of similar stature and style as him, which is why he isn't replacing Rubezic. There's also the desire not to break up a defence and play them into a unit, coupled with the fact that defenders usually cover less ground. Secondly, we're simply not spending enough, and in volume, to guarantee that our second tier players are better than average SPFL. Especially when you take into account failures in the transfer window. Realistically, making four changes to our team takes us to the level of Kilmarnock or someone. 

• 3 weeks later...

393d8530-b422-44b5-be3a-50d4c310e805.thumb.jpeg.33e99a352c4f1c5367e26d91611d5aaf.jpeg

Stats, miniskirts, etc.

Robson's highs are still better than any high Goodwin managed. But the performances v Celtic, Kilmarnock and Hearts in particular match up with Goodwin's December and January failings that ultimately earned him a meeting with the FMB.

I'm not for a minute calling for Robson to be sacked. I think he deserves until January at least and we'll assess it then. But those highs of winning at Ibrox and Hampden, and encouraging away showings v PAOK and Frankfurt, are like a boxer getting beat up but managing to throw enough punches to convince the referee not to stop the fight.

There could be the peculiar situation where we fall further behind third place, turn in some more terrible performances, but win the League Cup. Could the board sack the manager two weeks after he's won a trophy?

8 hours ago, Panda said:

393d8530-b422-44b5-be3a-50d4c310e805.thumb.jpeg.33e99a352c4f1c5367e26d91611d5aaf.jpeg

Stats, miniskirts, etc.

Robson's highs are still better than any high Goodwin managed. But the performances v Celtic, Kilmarnock and Hearts in particular match up with Goodwin's December and January failings that ultimately earned him a meeting with the FMB.

I'm not for a minute calling for Robson to be sacked. I think he deserves until January at least and we'll assess it then. But those highs of winning at Ibrox and Hampden, and encouraging away showings v PAOK and Frankfurt, are like a boxer getting beat up but managing to throw enough punches to convince the referee not to stop the fight.

There could be the peculiar situation where we fall further behind third place, turn in some more terrible performances, but win the League Cup. Could the board sack the manager two weeks after he's won a trophy?

Aye, it's interesting. I'm hoping that the club realises that, after two failed attempts, that employing a younger manager requires a lot more support and a lot more patience. Robson is exactly the type of guy (local, former player) that the club could publicly state that they're being patient with, with a view to him learning in the role. Not via an unhelpful burst on sportsound of course! The turnover of players has a huge impact on the manager and it's still too high at the moment. It means you're constantly clearing out the shite, and the inevitable shite that you accumulate each window is exacerbating the problem. I'd stick with him as long as we can to give him every opportunity to continue building. I'd really like to see another face behind and above to hold that build to account though.

Tbf I think we started the season really well under Goodwin if my memory is correct. It was around this time it all started going downhill. So that's the context here. In my opinion some of the mitigating factors arethere have been some really difficult fixtures in between our European games. After tomorrow we will have played the both Rangers and Celtic twice in the league while most of our rivals have only done so once. We have a cup final to come and turned over about 50% of our squad during the summer. I think Robsons position depends on where we are come January now and we could go either way as I see it at the moment.