Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January transfer window and the squad as it stands

Broom played at Cheltenham. Was player of the season the year we should have gone up before Covid hit and a temp run of form which was being put right ended up with us dropping out of the autos just in time for the season being finished early. Might have been our top scorer that season too. 
Plays on the right mainly, did play centrally occasionally, if I remember correctly. Can be hit and miss but skilful and likes to take a man on. Sold the summer before we went up as Champions so clearly not integral. Obviously hasn’t settled/deemed not good enough at Peterborough. Was loaned last season to Burton (I think) and this to Plymouth. 
Think Peterborough paid Cheltenham about £150k-£200k. Not sure he’d be the level we need and bit of a short arse. That said he’s only 25,  there’s definitely ability and is a goal threat. 

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

St Mirren allegedly wanting £350k for McGrath in this window, which is basically the same fee as was agreed in the failed transfer to Hibs back in the August window. The difference being they don't want players as part of it this time around.

The key is to get a pre-contract with the player. That'll force their hand a little. It'll likely be a very late in the window thing for any move in January.

51 minutes ago, manc_don said:

With all the talk of Ferguson and hedges leaving, I’m slightly surprised neither has happened yet. Hoping they’re not going to be last min jobbies leaving this to be a struggle to get beyond a pre contract (which will be good in itself).

Seems a little uncalled for referring to Hedges & Ferguson as jobbies 😉

• Haha 2

Hedges is worth more to us for the rest of the season than getting whatever Blackburn are willing to pay to get him now rather than signing him on a Bosman.  Would leave a gaping hole in our team for the remainder of the season if we were to sell him in January.  Him leaving could be the difference between finishing 6th and potentially challenging for 3rd, if he stayed fit that is.

7 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Hedges is worth more to us for the rest of the season than getting whatever Blackburn are willing to pay to get him now rather than signing him on a Bosman.  Would leave a gaping hole in our team for the remainder of the season if we were to sell him in January.  Him leaving could be the difference between finishing 6th and potentially challenging for 3rd, if he stayed fit that is.

I'd have agreed last season when there were no fans in the ground. Hedges is the type of player that can easily go a whole game without producing anything of note (like all players in his role), and I wouldn't be surprised if the fans got on his back and accused him of not trying etc. I could well imagine a situation where he's more of a hindrance than a benefit. If we get the right offer then I'd deal and try and get McGrath in early (if we're even going to sign the lad). Big Dante will fill the hole left by Ferguson, Hedges and Ramsay.

• Like 2

Glass is wanting to keep Devlin it would seem, he's close to full fitness.  I do think there is a player in there 2bf but we've not seen it really since his first season.  Still, he's probably going to be on a low basic and with consi due back in the near future too that leaves us well stocked with cb's for the rest of the season.  With all cb's fit  we may see Mcrorie in midfield more, especially if ferguson moves on.   

I can't help but wonder if glass is thinking about moving to a 3 at the back more regularly.   He doesn't seem the type that is wed to one system and, personally, I think we look more solid with a 3.  You could also argue that it gets the best out of Gallagher and given what he's on wage wise that's desirable.  A back 3 of bates, Gallagher and Considine doesn't really have too many weaknesses to my eye, I would be quite happy with that starting against anyone in the league. 

10 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

A back 3 of bates, Gallagher and Considine doesn't really have too many weaknesses to my eye, I would be quite happy with that starting against anyone in the league. 

Agreed.

gets McCrorie into the midfield too. I’d like to see him and brown together and Ferguson pushed further up

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Glass is wanting to keep Devlin it would seem, he's close to full fitness.  I do think there is a player in there 2bf but we've not seen it really since his first season.  Still, he's probably going to be on a low basic and with consi due back in the near future too that leaves us well stocked with cb's for the rest of the season.  With all cb's fit  we may see Mcrorie in midfield more, especially if ferguson moves on.   

I can't help but wonder if glass is thinking about moving to a 3 at the back more regularly.   He doesn't seem the type that is wed to one system and, personally, I think we look more solid with a 3.  You could also argue that it gets the best out of Gallagher and given what he's on wage wise that's desirable.  A back 3 of bates, Gallagher and Considine doesn't really have too many weaknesses to my eye, I would be quite happy with that starting against anyone in the league. 

In fairness it was about 8-12 weeks of form before his first injury on international duty. Canna mind if it was on here or on twitter where I saw it suggested that the reason we've kept Devlin so long is because his wages have been being covered by the SFA, so has cost us £0. 

56 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

In fairness it was about 8-12 weeks of form before his first injury on international duty. Canna mind if it was on here or on twitter where I saw it suggested that the reason we've kept Devlin so long is because his wages have been being covered by the SFA, so has cost us £0. 

Fucking result of so, especially if he can find previous form