Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Andy Murray

K-9

I totally agree with what you have said about his achievements and I support him all the way despite not being that fussed on tennis per say. I certainly don't want to see him fail but aside from the emotive response I stand by the fact that Andy Murray is a frustrating player who can storm through several ATP tournaments and beat the best tennis has to offer en route. However, when he steps up to the bigger tournaments he has recent form of....let's call it under performing if the word choke is too upsetting. This is particularly true last season where he lost to players who are significantly below him in the rankings in 75% of the majors, 50% of these in the 4th round (hence my comment about this tournament). Arguably, he has performed worse last year than the previous when his ranking was lower and his standing less although his 1st round exit in Australia was particularly honking.

Again, I think that's a bit unfair!  He was beaten by Tsonga, again someone who was red hot, playing the Tennis of his life!  Djokovic eventually stopped him in the Final, but en route he thrashed Nadal in straight set!

I think we'l just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I think I offered a fair assessment and argument of his performance in the majors last season.  As I said, Roddick was in awesome form and was just simply better than him - he'd been playing the better Tennis in the earlier rounds too.  i thought he was unlucky not to win the whole thing.  As for the Gonzo and Verdasco matches... did you watch those matches? If you did, I can't believe you could say he choked.  They absolutely brutalised Murray with their forehands - Murray wasn't making errors, or giving them free points...

Cilic, I'll give you, he certainly under performed... but his form leading into the US Open was patchy and was poor in the earlier rounds.  Cilic is a very good player on his day.

I hope Andy will win a major one day, I'm unashamedly a massive fan... I watch almost every game he plays on tour.  I love tennis and we'll never see a Scottish player as good as Murray ever again, so I intended to make the most of it.  However, if he is to win a major he'll have to improve his game, or gain a large slice of luck along the way.  I certainly don't see him as a multiple slam winner... not yet anyway.  I will be disappointed if Murray is unfairly labelled a choker by our press/public, as I feel he's done the best he possibly can with his god-given ability.

He's been unlucky, in a way, to be playing at a time when mens tennis is in such amazing shape.  7 or 8 years ago, guys like Hewitt, Ferrero, kafelinkov, Korda, Johanssen and Muster were winning majors.  These guys wouldn't have sniff these days.

Again, I think that's a bit unfair!  He was beaten by Tsonga, again someone who was red hot, playing the Tennis of his life!  Djokovic eventually stopped him in the Final, but en route he thrashed Nadal in straight set!

I think we'l just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I think I offered a fair assessment and argument of his performance in the majors last season.  As I said, Roddick was in awesome form and was just simply better than him - he'd been playing the better Tennis in the earlier rounds too.  i thought he was unlucky not to win the whole thing.  As for the Gonzo and Verdasco matches... did you watch those matches? If you did, I can't believe you could say he choked.  They absolutely brutalised Murray with their forehands - Murray wasn't making errors, or giving them free points...

Cilic, I'll give you, he certainly under performed... but his form leading into the US Open was patchy and was poor in the earlier rounds.  Cilic is a very good player on his day.

I hope Andy will win a major one day, I'm unashamedly a massive fan... I watch almost every game he plays on tour.  I love tennis and we'll never see a Scottish player as good as Murray ever again, so I intended to make the most of it.  However, if he is to win a major he'll have to improve his game, or gain a large slice of luck along the way.  I certainly don't see him as a multiple slam winner... not yet anyway.  I will be disappointed if Murray is unfairly labelled a choker by our press/public, as I feel he's done the best he possibly can with his god-given ability.

He's been unlucky, in a way, to be playing at a time when mens tennis is in such amazing shape.  7 or 8 years ago, guys like Hewitt, Ferrero, kafelinkov, Korda, Johanssen and Muster were winning majors.  These guys wouldn't have sniff these days.

That post was typed up and sent before I saw your response so wasn't a response to you, I agree you have offered some very good insight into the discussion and I bow to your superior knowledge of the game. I am not pig headed enough to carry on arguing (well actually I am) but I'm not going to as my lack of depth of knowledge will only sound like I'm arguing for the sake of it. That doesn't mean my opinion is any different though  ;) For the record, I hope he makes me look foolish this next two weeks!

That post was typed up and sent before I saw your response so wasn't a response to you, I agree you have offered some very good insight into the discussion and I bow to your superior knowledge of the game. I am not pig headed enough to carry on arguing (well actually I am) but I'm not going to as my lack of depth of knowledge will only sound like I'm arguing for the sake of it. That doesn't mean my opinion is any different though  ;) For the record, I hope he makes me look foolish this next two weeks!

yeah I wasn't having a go either... and just because I watch a lot of Tennis, I'm not claiming to know exactly what I'm talking about.  I just feel strongly that Murray isn't a choker.  In my opinion there are better guys out there - and these days, to win a major, you have to do something extra special.  It's unbelievable that we have Nadal and Federer both competing in the same era, while the supporting cast like Del Potro, Djokovic and Murray are all hugely talented players too... add to them Roddick and Davydenko, who also show occassional flashes of brilliance.

I hope Andy can improve, but I don't see him winning a major until he sorts out his second serve, or becomes more consistent on his first serve.  He also needs to play more agressive (in my opinion)... if he meets one of the top guys, on top form, when they are locked in, his strategy of attempting to force errors will continue to see him fail.

I'm a bit nervous about Istner, because he's on good form.... I haven't actually seen him play before.  I missed the match that announced his arrival, with Roddick in the US Open.  However, from what I've heard his game should match up with Andys pretty well.  Additionally, the Australian Open is the slowest non-clay surface on tour, so surely this is another negative against the big server?

I am really hoping for a Quarter final against Nadal... that would be an amazing match - Particularly if both players go in fresh and avoid a five setter in the 4th round.  Andys semi final against Nadal in the US Open was just incredible to watch!

Guest rocket debris

Additionally, the Australian Open is the slowest non-clay surface on tour, so surely this is another negative against the big server?

Shit. That's slow? I was at the Australian Open in January 1992 and it looked fast as fuck to me. Have they changed venues/surfaces? It was in Melbourne next to the MCG at the purpose built tennissy placey.

Not that my opinion is worth shit. Only other tennis I ever saw was at Kooyong the week before, on grass. 

Guest rocket debris

Regardless of his results, Murray wins with with no little skill. That alone seperates him from almost every other Scottish sportsperson alive.

Harsh. Almost every other famous Scottish sportsperson maybe but he will never be as dominant in his field as Chris Hoy. Spook, the boy fae Inverurie that had one of the six beds in an ARI ward with me 10 years ago was a champion in his field and nae cunt had heard of him let alone realise that there was a worldwide interest or that it was a regulated sport. I would say that there are golfers in Scotland that have done more in their field than Murray has in tennis, including a regular Aberdeen supporter.

Shit. That's slow? I was at the Australian Open in January 1992 and it looked fast as fuck to me. Have they changed venues/surfaces? It was in Melbourne next to the MCG at the purpose built tennissy placey.

Not that my opinion is worth shit. Only other tennis I ever saw was at Kooyong the week before, on grass.

The surfaces have changed quite a lot over the past 5 or 6 years.  In Melbourne they finish the surface with a paint that contains a lot of sand, which increases the friction and obviously slows the ball.  This is why Nadal tends to do favour melbourne over flushing meadow, which is a slick acyrilic surface.

They showed a really interesting graphic during the wimbledon coverage a couple of years ago... time was when wimbledon was the fastest surface, but its been formulated different these days and rather than skidding so much the ball has started bouncing higher and holding up.  This is why you don't see players serve/volleying so much at Wimbledon.  5 or 6 years ago, I don't think Nadal would have beaten Federer at wimbledon.  These days the US Open, and the courts on the North American hard court circuit in general, are the fastest in the world.  Which is why andy does so well in America.  His best performances have come on this type of surface in New York, Cincinnati, Montreal and Miami.

Regardless of his results, Murray wins with with no little skill. That alone seperates him from almost every other Scottish sportsperson alive.

This is why I like him.  As a big sports fan, it's nice to be able cheer a Scot with a bit of finesse and ability - rather than some chump who's "just pleased to be there"

Guest rocket debris

Any man in his late teens/early 20's that doesn't have sex exploration as his number one driver is a man not to be trusted in my book. Same goes for any man in his mid to late forties and any age in between as it happens but when Murray gets interviewed I think, not every second but certainly if he gets more than 4 or 5 seconds air time which he usually does, then certainly within that time scale, I think "you're nae a real mannie".

I try to take the mitigating factor of that grotesquely asexual Judy or Julie or whatever her name is mother of his into the equation when considering him but the overwhelming rocket instinct is telling me he's nae real. The English lassie dumped him cos he was too much into gaming I heard. Fundamental priority fuck up if you ask me. Never warmed to the cunt.

Just in and Murray at 2-2 in sets but the most amazing break of serve. The giant US lad absolutely trashed in that game, fucking amazing! great jump at 0-30 into the crowd to hit a winner and at 0-40 the winner down the line!!!!

That's quite an achievement considering Murray won in straight sets.... ???