Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Andy Murray

K-9

Wont be long before Nadal and Murray are fighting for number 1 and 2 as i see Federer dropping out soon..

Why would Federer drop out? I think its great the three of them battling it out between each other, so I'd hope he doesn't. Obviously though, I'd prefer it if Murray got a major tournament win under his belt. Just to ruffle a few feathers.

Why would Federer drop out? I think its great the three of them battling it out between each other, so I'd hope he doesn't. Obviously though, I'd prefer it if Murray got a major tournament win under his belt. Just to ruffle a few feathers.

I just think the younger guys will overtake him in the rankings soon as you cant stay at the top forever..

Not really, the rankings are based on the last two years results, and just because Nadal was out for a couple of months, Murray still had to perform which he has done.

Fingers crossed for the US Open!  :thumbsup:

Yeah can accept that, but my point is that with Nadal out for over a couple of months, he has to have lost out on points that he had previously banked, and taking nothing away from Murray's achievements, genuinely believe that the position would be different if Nadal hadn't had time out

Yeah can accept that, but my point is that with Nadal out for over a couple of months, he has to have lost out on points that he had previously banked, and taking nothing away from Murray's achievements, genuinely believe that the position would be different if Nadal hadn't had time out

Of course it would have been different.... Nadal as wimbledon champion, defended 2000 points, which he forfeited by not playing this year.  If we assume Nadal would have made the final of wimbledon, losing to to Federer, that equates to a loss of 600 points rather than 2000!  Hypothetically you can then argue this means Nadals true position would be +900 points with respect to Andy Murray.

Hasn't Murray also missed some tournaments in the past 2 years through injury?

Yeah, but the rankings only take into account tournaments played within exactly 12months of the current date.  I think the Canadian Masters has been rescheduled since last year, with cincinnati shunted forward by a week.  I am just trying to make sense of these new rankings, and Andy Murray has lost the 1000 points he won last year from winning Cincinnati (things have fucked up by moving the Madrid masters from hard to clay courts this season).  I am assuming this means he was effectively defending the points he won in Cincinnati the previous year at the Canadian Masters, which means a clean slate for the 2009 Cincinnati masters.  Which is good news for Murray and gives him an excellent chance of holding onto the number two spot... which he should do unless Nadal wins next week and Andy has a complete shocker.

Although he has a really shit draw next week.... Federer, Del Potro, Roddick, Soderling Wawrinkwa, Verdasco are all in his half!  Out of form Nadal and Djokovic have it easier on the other side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...