Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Andy Murray

K-9

Do they? Got any examples of this?

I can't speak for media, but down here in England Murray is quite unpopular.  Most people I know, down here, who take an interest in sport have no time for him.

I don't believe the English would ever take a talented scottish tennis player to their hearts, but his comments relating to the English football team, however much they were taken out of context, have given people - that I know anyway - an excuse.

It would be hilarious if he won wimbledon, while I'd obviously be delighted to see a young Scotsman reaching the pinnacle of his chosen sport - these feelings would be tempered by uncontrollable laughter.

It was a genuine question, as I wasn't aware the media didn't like him.  I knew the general feeling amongst the public wasn't too positive towards him.

As it goes, I haven't read anything from the English media that has been overtly critical.  He doesn't get the hype from the media in Englandm that Henman did, but I do believe, in general, they are quietly respectful.  It did annoy me slightly, however, that Laura Robson, taking part in her first senior tour event, recieved more publicity and airtime discussion, than Murray making the final of the US Open.

A couple of times the English football team comment has been brought up, however, I read a brilliant article from the times journalist who actually conducted that interview, sticking up for Murray.  He mentioned that himself and the other guys interviewing him, had been goading murray earlier about Scotlands failure to qualify for the World Cup... and that Murray's reponse was actually just a tongue-in-check reponse to their teasing.

A couple of times the English football team comment has been brought up, however, I read a brilliant article from the times journalist who actually conducted that interview, sticking up for Murray.  He mentioned that himself and the other guys interviewing him, had been goading murray earlier about Scotlands failure to qualify for the World Cup... and that Murray's reponse was actually just a tongue-in-check reponse to their teasing.

Ah, but there's the problem, people don't like looking at the big picture...  :thumbsup:

Do they? Got any examples of this?

I don't have examples, no. No doubt there are some somewhere in the internets bit I can't really be hooped looking.

Following Murray's joke about supporting whoever England plays the English media succeeded in getting most of England to dislike him. Alot were already itching for an excuse as they didn't like this young Scot toppling Tig Tim from the top of "British" tennis.

Murray uses Scotland flags as often as he can get away with. Legend.

Following Murray's joke about supporting whoever England plays the English media succeeded in getting most of England to dislike him. Alot were already itching for an excuse as they didn't like this young Scot toppling Tig Tim from the top of "British" tennis.

Murray uses Scotland flags as often as he can get away with. Legend.

Brilliant.  ::)

I think he'll take the US this year. He has bulked up again by the look of him in the final at the weekend and is generally considered to have the best all round game in tennis today.

I agree with you on Murray taking the US or even the Australian open, and also on his all-round game.  He's now got the experience of playing in a US final as well as regularly beating Federer/Nadal/Djokovic, who are the three he'll probably end up having to beat to secure a title.  

The contrast in Murray's play over the last year compared to previous years is incredible, he really does have everything required to win a major.  His serve is now regularly 130mph+, he's got the power and stamina to play the game from the bassline, the reflexes to play at the net, and also has the pace to get around the court when his opponent has the upper-hand (which he'll experience when playing Federer/Nadal/Djokovic).

I'd fancy him for Wimbledon but think the pressure would be too great for him should he get to the final.  I actually see him losing a Wimbledon final before he wins it, and also think grass is better suited to Nadal/Federer's game.  The advantage they also have is they've both won it and they don't have the added pressure of being a Brit at Wimbledon.

The contrast in Murray's play over the last year compared to previous years is incredible, he really does have everything required to win a major.  His serve is now regularly 130mph+, he's got the power and stamina to play the game from the bassline, the reflexes to play at the net, and also has the pace to get around the court when his opponent has the upper-hand (which he'll experience when playing Federer/Nadal/Djokovic).

Playing tennis there must be a fucking nightmare.

A5_BasslineBattle_frontsmall.jpg