Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

He posted on Instagram at the end of October a photo of him playing for Aberdeen and said "soon be back out there", so don't think he's done for just yet. He may have had a set-back since then mind you or is just following a strict plan that doesn't see him back playing until summer.

But, and here's putting two and two together and getting yellow. He was liking all the messages anyone posted saying "good luck", "hope to see you back playing soon" etc, yet if anyone posted anything about coming back to Aberdeen (and plenty of Dons fans were doing just that) he peculiarly didn't like any of those posts. Yeh I know, I know.

I'm gonna guess he will play again, but not for Aberdeen. Probably at a very low level in England.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully this means the end of Main, but still left wundering how we signed him in the first place.

Correct, a fucking bonkers addition, he's rank rotten & should never have been signed.

You'll get the odd oddball that'll defend him, saying he's not getting service ( When played ) etc.... but if you look at his career stats, you'll see quite clealry that he's just not a good Player, simple as, and smacked of an utterly lazy signing. I hope he leaves, wether it's for Kennedy in this window, or just in general.

Still think Devlin is better than Taylor. Not quite sure why Taylor seems the established central defender now, although if Leigh were fit the form two in the middle would be the two lefties.

Totally against the return of Taylor BUT impressions so far are that he looks more accomplished than his first time around. If he sticks to the basics he is ok, but oh my God, the distribution leaves an awful lot to be desired.

The Devlin we saw early doors last season made him look like a player but seems to have lost his way and never recovered the form of pre the injury he picked up with the Scotland squad

I assumed Devlin would only go there on loan, which would be a good idea. As poor as he’s been these last couple of months, swapping a Scotland international defender for a player we can get for free in a couple of months would seem a little foolish.

I assumed Devlin would only go there on loan, which would be a good idea. As poor as he’s been these last couple of months, swapping a Scotland international defender for a player we can get for free in a couple of months would seem a little foolish.

Why? The fact he is a Scotland international is purely down to us having totally shyte options there as opposed to Devlin being any good. He's only really had 3 months during his time with us when he was any good, the rest either being long periods of out through injury or when he got selected being no better than distinctly underwhelming. Considine has generally kept him out and now Taylor is doing the same.....entirely on merit. Having him sit on the bench at his age and on his salary is doing neither the player or the club any good.

Letting him go would free up a relatively big wage. We could then bring in a young prospect from the lower leagues, as I have said before...even paying £100k, the savings on Devlin's wages mean it would be self-funding in not much more than a year. If we stumble on a gem...then we are quids in down the line.

There can be no question that what we lack right now is someone who can play on the wing or as a second striker that has genuine pace. Therefore Kennedy is a priority. Sacrificing Devlin to get him onboard to my mind is a reasonable bit of business.

Devlin is off form, I wouldn't say he's a bad player. We're better off trying to help him get his performances back up rather than getting rid of him which not only leaves us with Ash Taylor as first choice, but unless we can find a *good* defender in the next nine days we'll either be chronically short in defence like we were last season when Dominic Ball was playing CB, or we sign another stop-gap of the standard of well, Dom Ball.

I have no idea how much Devlin gets paid but it can't be that much if St Johnstone think he's within their budget. Unless his wages are not within their budget which means we'd still be on the hook for the difference between his current salary and what they can afford to pay him for the next 18 months. Which would be even more foolish.

If he goes there on loan, he's either shite and that gives us the justification to get rid of him in the summer or he does well and he comes back and resumes his place as an asset in our squad.

As it stands, I'd be surprised if he leaves at all, we still need to hedge against a possible bid for McKenna during this transfer window.

My take on Devlin is that he recovered pretty well from his cruciate injury. Made himself an automatic pick and got a Scotland call up, deservedly although as I said before....there's hardly a wealth of other options to select from. However suffered a mysterious injury whilst away with the Scotland squad that kept him out far longer than we were originally told. I think this has caused him to suffer doubts as to his long term ability to stay fit and is playing (when he gets selected) within himself in an effort not to get injured again. But playing within himself just isn't good enough and hence Mcinnes only picks him in an emergency now. I said a couple of weeks ago that I heard that he is....and I quote..."unsettled" Hasn't really settled in Aberdeen and if the chance came of a move back to the Central Belt, as long as the terms were broadly similar to what he's on now he would jump at the chance. He hasn't requested a move just yet....although he has had words with Mcinnes. If we were to keep him on...he won't tolerate the present situation a whole lot longer.

Unless we sell McKenna, we really wouldn't be short of central defensive cover. Vyner doesn't require an op and should be fit in 3-4 weeks. Leigh should be fit  2-3 weeks beyond that releasing Considine back to central defence and putting Taylor on the bench. Devlin then gets an occasional game as an over age player in the U20s but generally earning a big wage for doing not very much at all. I think we will hang fire until the last few days of the window to see if someone does bid for McKenna. If nothing comes in, I suspect we will let Devlin go in a swap for Kennedy

I'd assume it's timing. If McKenna goes we're short given Leigh and Vyner are injured, and having had the injuries we've had I understand DM is unwilling at present. I really liked the Devlin signing, as much as I disliked the Taylor signing, but not sure what has happened. As acknowledged, he hasn't been the same since the Scotland injury.

Offering Main is a poor effort on our part, we want a creative player and offer a complete opposite in return. Would rather see them get McLennan on loan for 6 months, even Campbell on loan too given our potential log jam in center mid, but obviously these could well have been discussed. Surely we tried to give them Gleeson too.

According to Wiki, Joe Shaugnessey has played 2 games for Southend  this year, what has happened to him? Signed a one year deal last year, worth a look?

Shaughnessy can gtf…..had agreed to join us on a pre-contract verbally then allowed his agent (his father) to suddenly increase the demands. And if he cant get a game for Southend who are embarrassingly bad, he certainly isn't good enough for us.

Nothing to add to that TC.

Summed up perfectly.

seem to be eyeing some no mark detritus from wolves

Ryan Giles to be exact

Turns 20 on Sunday.

Former youth academy POTY

Been on loan to Shrewsbury this season

Was supposed to be a season long loan but recalled to Wolves owing to injuries so not sure how he can now be coming to us  if we don't get Kennedy in this month  ???