Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Season 2019/2020 Rebuilding

I cannot quite agree with folk saying it has been a good window for us. Our squad still looks weak and unbalanced and failing to see where the all important creative spark is coming from.

On our new right back I can remember we had one from South America before who was superb at crossing the ball, up with the very best, Juan Cobain I think the name was and he disappeared without trace after a few games.

Hope I am proved wrong a nd these signings are a turning point and we start to play football, but like some zoomer told me yesterday we are VERY lucky to have McInnes and people like me make him sick to the core.

Time will tell.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the Radio Scotland transfer window live show on from 9-12...it actually ran over until 12.15 so they could round up the business done. But there were 2 interesting points about us specifically raised just before and just after midnight.

Firstly, just before midnight, the panel of pundits started to spear Derek Ferguson about Lewis. Specifically...had he any information on any other clubs that might be interested in him. The way they hounded him it was obviously a loaded question. He got quite tongue tied to begin with but said that Lewis is very happy at Aberdeen, has just bought his first house  and didn't expect things to change. They didn't let up though....and eventually they forced out of him that yes indeed.....he was aware of a couple of clubs who are interested in him but that he expects Lewis to stay for the time being but might be tempted to move "a few years down the line"

Secondly..just after midnight they read out a statement from the club. No names were mentioned but the club confirmed they were trying to get a striker in, they worked at it right up until the last minute but ultimately just couldn't get it over the line.

I'm guessing Stewart fae county. The right height for getting on the end of a Taylor punt.

Overall, not a great window. Strengthened areas that didn't really need strengthening with players that are similar to what we've got with two of them, and an exciting one that could be the next chidi or the next [insert successful recent foreign import here], but in a role that probably won't change the team on it's own. Good that we have a right wing Venezuelan though.

I'm guessing Stewart fae county. The right height for getting on the end of a Taylor punt.

Overall, not a great window. Strengthened areas that didn't really need strengthening with players that are similar to what we've got with two of them, and an exciting one that could be the next chidi or the next [insert successful recent foreign import here], but in a role that probably won't change the team on it's own. Good that we have a right wing Venezuelan though.

You are guessing wrong, They had interviews with most managers during the show, The Coonty manager said that they only had one bid for Stewart yesterday and that it came from an EFL1 club and fell way below their valuation. They actually believe he is in the same league as the Motherwell loon that signed for Hull yesterday  :o

I thought it was a good window in the sense I think we signed 3 starters that should strengthen our starting 11, although we didn’t sign our biggest weakness, a #10. I also think we punted 2 guys who were probably decent earners and ultimately a waste of money.

Strange window though in the sense that I don’t think mcgeouch was needed. We’ve got Ojo, Ferguson, and Bryson in there as the defensive workers, add McGeough that’s 4 potentially top earners at the club and only 2 should start. I just don’t see Ferguson or Bryson as the attack minded guy getting up alongside and ahead of Cosgrove. Add Campbell too, he needed to go out on loan.

Can’t speak for Kennedy as I’ve never really seen him play but we have/ had hedges, Wilson, Gallagher, and, McLennan as creative wide guys, didn’t think this was essential. However, I don’t rate McLennan, Wilson was the square peg round hole, and Gallagher is limited, so maybe we upgraded.

We did need a right back and I think Logan’s number was up after the euro penalty in Croatia. The Motherwell goal just highlighted again that he’s past his prime. No clue if this boy is any good but a four year deal to an internationalist suggests he is. I’d actually move Logan to left back until Leigh is fit and move Considine in with McKenna.

None of our signings will change the way we play and that’s the biggest disappointment. Still expect plenty of hoof ball and a clear lack of creativity from players, and more importantly, the coaching staff.

Weve an odd assortment of decent players.Something that we miss IMO is a prominent squad member with local ties, ala Shinnie,Anderson,Robson.and a bit of passion,we're just a bit nice.

Using what weve got,given the lack of a no.10,could we use an aging mcGinn in there,or Kennedy/McLennan/Hedges meantime.Someone to run at a defence.

Could Gallagher(tin hat) be turned into a Willo Flood chaser/destroyer/pain in the arse while he's here.

Weve an odd assortment of decent players.Something that we miss IMO is a prominent squad member with local ties, ala Shinnie,Anderson,Robson.and a bit of passion,we're just a bit nice.

Using what weve got,given the lack of a no.10,could we use an aging mcGinn in there,or Kennedy/McLennan/Hedges meantime.Someone to run at a defence.

Could Gallagher(tin hat) be turned into a Willo Flood chaser/destroyer/pain in the arse while he's here.

Fair point on flood/Gallagher but it won’t happen given the amount of center mids we now have. I’ve said the same too, McGinn or even hedges should be #10 but I really feel the manager has dug himself in a hole that if fit he has to play Ferguson Ojo and mcgeouch. No space for a 10 and absolutely no clue where Bryson fits in if ever healthy.

Looks like the same 3 in the middle for the foreseeable then. Playing the same tactics with a new face.

Does anyone think that wright would get a run at 10 if he got fit?

No problem playing the three away at Ibrox (or timland). Similar worked in the recent past. Not for all other games though.

I definitely think Wright would have been playing there a number of times had he been fit. However, 6 minutes in, he'd have switched him to left wing, then right then back again, so he wouldn't have had a run of games in the no 10, which is an obvious place for him.

I seriously think McINnes sees wright as a James Maddison type and wants to play him at 10, but the problem is Wright would need a good few games and patience, much like he gave Cosgrove, and with the midfielders we have now I just don’t see McInnes having the stones to bench Ojo Ferguson McGeouch and a fit - if ever - Bryson.

I seriously think McINnes sees wright as a James Maddison type and wants to play him at 10, but the problem is Wright would need a good few games and patience, much like he gave Cosgrove, and with the midfielders we have now I just don’t see McInnes having the stones to bench Ojo Ferguson McGeouch and a fit - if ever - Bryson.

I agree, although there's no way he can continue playing those three against poorer opposition and creating nothing. By the time Wright is back you'd have expected the horrendous experiment to be over. Although Wright has a very long way to go to prove himself of course, but he's definitely the type of player we need in there.

Hernandez may well be a great signing for us and time will tell, but I would love to see that young lad we have out on loan at Arbroath get some game time next season, he will gained a lot of experience playing in the Championship.

Part of a really decent victory over The Arabs today and earning good reviews

mainstandmoan(usually in the know) on Abmad saying we paid £800k for Hernandez  :eek:..... in the belief he can be sold for millions in a few years.

Also saying that our playing budget is now £2m more than it was a year ago

Richard Gordon said on Radio Scotland that the fee we paid was "closer to £1million than £500k" so seems to back that up.

Where's the money coming from?

Sounds like our Atlanta connection are going over McInnes head as far as some recruitment goes,when a player they think may return on their investment comes on their radar

Nae sure how much will go thru with McInnes approval,or more 'were doing it anyway'

Interesting to know who gets what when a player gets sold on,and whether McInnes is happy with his role being diluted.

Pretty sure the Atlanta model has a director of football type responsible for player recruitment. The manager (the coach) has a say but his job is primarily to coach. Given the (significant) money wasted and the shite McInnes has signed, including Wilson, Gleeson, forester, May, Main, Storey, Tansey, Maynard etc since Cormack has been involved, I’m certainly ok with a change in recruitment policy, don’t blame them!

I've been saying for years that should be our approach. Far too much responsibility given to one man. He should identify positions of course and have a final say (or be part of a final say) but we need to build proper recruitment that transcends the current manager, regardless of who that is.

To be fair to McInnes he was saying that once the training facilities were sorted we needed to sort our scouting. Seeing as that is the case you would assume he would be happy to delegate to said scouts identifying players. Although I'm sure he would always have to buy into the signings we make.

I think this is a high risk strategy if Cormack goes for it, but I would suspect he's a more of a risk taker than Milne.  If we sign 3 or 4 players for say £1M and can sell two of them on for £3-4M a couple of years down the line we have a model that gives us a better standard of player and also some profits.  But injuries, loss of form, failure to make the progress expected etc could all see the idea blow up in our faces.

It's exciting but I'll hold my breath and see how it works out before I start cheering.  It could transform the club for the better, but it could also damage us badly if it doesn't work. 

In its favour, the alternative is managed decline.  There's an, IMO, crazy consensus among a lot of Aberdeen fans that the ceiling we keep hitting is down to the manager. It's not: it's down to the fact that the wages we are paying only allow us to bring in risky players that are more likely to fail than succeed, even at SPL level.  Every SPL club outside the ugly sisters has the same problem, which is why Hibs and Hearts keep sacking their managers and don't get any better.  This at least offers a different route.  Let's pray it works.

I think this is a high risk strategy if Cormack goes for it, but I would suspect he's a more of a risk taker than Milne.  If we sign 3 or 4 players for say £1M and can sell two of them on for £3-4M a couple of years down the line we have a model that gives us a better standard of player and also some profits.  But injuries, loss of form, failure to make the progress expected etc could all see the idea blow up in our faces.

It's exciting but I'll hold my breath and see how it works out before I start cheering.  It could transform the club for the better, but it could also damage us badly if it doesn't work. 

In its favour, the alternative is managed decline.  There's an, IMO, crazy consensus among a lot of Aberdeen fans that the ceiling we keep hitting is down to the manager. It's not: it's down to the fact that the wages we are paying only allow us to bring in risky players that are more likely to fail than succeed, even at SPL level.  Every SPL club outside the ugly sisters has the same problem, which is why Hibs and Hearts keep sacking their managers and don't get any better.  This at least offers a different route.  Let's pray it works.

I agree, it's an interesting model. I wonder if the risk is being pooled at a group level between us and Atlanta? I don't really like the idea that - because we have a slightly richer benefactor than our rivals - we can subsequently operate beyond our means and I'd like to think that there would be some sort of league ruling that prevented that. However, currently it's just a guy we've purchased from a Norwegian club, so I'm guessing his wages are well within our structure.

I presume Cormack is willing to take the hit if it doesn't work out, he seems like he is a proper supporter so I hope he wouldn't walk away if it does go wrong. And although its a lot more than we have paid for anyone for a long time its still not a crazy amount especially with what a European run could bring in nowadays.

There was a few times during Milnes tenure that had he invested a little more at the right time we could have moved forward instead of regressing but he didn't do it. I think we are at that point again (and possibly have been for a few seasons) where we need a little bit more to get us back on track.

Unfortunately there are certainly no rules that forbid benefactors coming in and splashing the cash. In fact sadly in modern football its almost always a prerequisite to success. Look no further then sevco who are making massive losses. I believe the financial fair play rules which Fifa have implemented allow clubs to make a loss of £30million a season before they get penalised. That may curtail the PSG's a bit but at our level its an irrelevance.

Anyway hope this can push us on I really would like to see a few more European nights at Pittodrie before we move.