Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birmingham manager said in interview that recalling Stewart was down to the board and he had nothing to do with it. Has reconfirmed Stewart will play no part in his plans for the rest of the season.

It was the Sunday Mail that ran with the story of us being interested in GS. More than likely just a reporter taking a flyer to fill column inches. Given that he is on £6.5k/week at Birmingham, think it would be unlikely he would want to come to us on £3-4k/week, he could get a good bit more in EFL1. Clubs know that Birmingham are desperate to get shot, I'd guess they'll try to stiff Birmingham to subsidise any contract they get him to sign till season's end....I can't imagine Killie were covering more than £1.5k/week when he was there. Hopefully he just signs a pre-contract with a club and stiffs B/ham for his full wages till his contract ends....they deserve that for the way they treated Killie

I call it out as shyte

I want to agree.

Looking at the various "news" outlets on Newsnow, the only talk of this being a possibility is from celtic based websites who have as much insider knowledge as most folk on here.

I'd be fucking furious if we did sell our "prize asset" to a rival as well.

Inside knowledge or wish list?

Knowledge of how the weegie press works (brother does match reports for associated press). Any big signing at the arse cheeks is preceded by a tip off to all the papers (Herald, Retard, Evening Times) so that a reporter and photographer can be on site to snap the scarf being raised aloft for the next edition. Prior to this the online versions will be updated with a wee teaser "New defender*/midfielder*/striker* expected for smelly huns*/plastic Paddies*"

(* delete as required)

No such update is on the retard. If McKenna were indeed at the Brendanbeu they would be all over it

Any club who sells their best player in the January window is more interested in money than success.

Or they're just pragmatic? If it meant investing in a good left back, a decent attacking midfielder and a decent winger, then I'd sell McKenna in January. The sums we are talking about for McKenna (and I don't believe the ones touted in Jan) would be worth several seasons' prize funds, so it's not about money v success. Retaining McKenna isn't going to be the difference between us finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd, but not having a left back, some decent supply and a finisher might. I'm pretty certain that we could assemble a team to beat the huns and tims without McKenna in it, but we certainly won't do it with the existing first 11. The Tims cashed in on Dembele when they could. If they'd held onto him for longer, there was a huge risk that they could lose a lot of his value for little return. It's about positioning yourself in the wider game and understanding the correct balance between letting players move on and associated detriment to the team. For the right amount of cash we could let McKenna go and be no more or less succesful because of that (if re-invested to a smaller degree).

I agree about selling him if the offer is big enough. I actually wouldn't have a problem selling him to Celtic as long as it was a pure cash offer (no throwing in Hendry or Hayes as partial makeweights......i do not want either of them) of £8million or over. Ideally prefer him to go south, but it would certainly be in our interest to have 2 or more clubs entering a bidding war for his services. He's by no means the finished article yet and still very prone to dropping almighty clangers.....

Of course I'm basing my opinion on the board allowing at least £3 million for DM to go out and get us at least 3 other players (replacement CH, left back and number 10). The cynicist in me says he would get £1 million and the rest siphoned off to pay for Kingsford phase 2....

I just don't think mckenna is interested in celtic 2bh.

He should be. No successful professional athlete wants a glass ceiling above them. Every ambitious sportsman wants to win. Aberdeen under Milne can't win the league because it's not even the goal. McInnes won't succeed because he's not capable and isn't a winner himself. Why would McKenna not want to join one of the only two teams in Scotland who are capable of winning, now that the old duopoly is back and here to stay by the looks of it?

No person - in sport or otherwise - would turn down the chance to treble or quadruple their income.

These comments, whilst true, do NOT add weight to the rumour of Celtic being in for McKenna, the origin of which is unknown (to me).

Ok think I can shed some light on the whole Celtic/McKenna shyte from earlier......

It appears Mr McKenna allowed himself to be pictured with the driver of a taxi he was about to get into earlier today in Glasgow. Cannot confirm where in Glasgow but presume the airport having not long arrived back from Dubai.

Anyway this must have been witnessed by some Dhimwit, who, as anyone naturally would ( :hammer:), assumed that the only place in Glasgow that could be his destination was Celtic Park.....and promptly took to twitter/text/smoke signals to inform all his wee jakey pals. Thus he became the credible source so often alluded to in the ensuing bhollocks story.

I can not so exclusively reveal that McKenna's actual destination was Heart Radio, where as I write he is taking part in the "Drivetime Show" and no doubt is fielding requests from the Great Glasgow public for such popular hits as "Fields of Athenry" and that great dubstep choon "No Pope of Rome"

Happy fucking days.....

I posted that in a rush, apologies for not getting my point across better.  What I meant, rocket, is that I suspect Mckenna has his eyes on a bigger prize. Why go to celtic when you will earn 30k tops and be tied to a 5 year deal when you could go to England and not only earn triple that but play in a much better league for one's development?  When celtic came sniffing in the summer he didn't seem at all fussed that afc dinghied the bid.