Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

Must be in negotiations over a permanent contract, otherwise why else would they send him on loan after recalling him from Killie.

Loan is probably so he can play this weekend.

That was my assumption, to get him for the weekend. Since he's been recalled from the Killie loan you have to assume the permanent deal is coming. Given his form, I think this is a good signing provided he plays alongside and centrally with Cosgrove.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised by the silence to the Stewart signing. Maybe I'm the minority with a few spare Donstalk minutes. He was excellent for Killie, must be a real kick in the teeth for them too.

Really curious to what happens with Shinnie and GMS. Thankfully Lowe is back so we have a legit defender, so Shinnie is still planned to be in the middle of the park. No clue if the link with McTominay was shite, probably, but so far I'm happy with Lowe and Stewart and if we had the funds to add McT i'd be happy. Praying Stewart doesn't get punted out wide if GMS leaves.

Welcome back Greg, if he carries on the form he showed at Killie then we are laughing.

8 goals in 16 games, but he also had 6 assists too. That's good form, and since he doesn't have Christie and McLean to compete with for the withdrawn striker/attacking mid role you'd like to think we'll see a central Stewart doing well for us.

I would've been totally underwhelmed by the news of Greg Stewart returning but for his performances at Killie.

He never showed he was that good with us, even though many of you were excited by his first coming based on his performances at Dundee.

This is an excellent move, as is getting Lowe back. Good work McInnes. Credit where it's due  :thumbsup:

Very pleased to have Stewart back, we all knew there was a player there and kudos to killie for getting it out of him. The comment about not having to compete with McLean or Christie is a good one, so hopefully we'll see him continue where he left off with killie.

So far, after a slow start, so good.

2bh I think we got lucky getting Lowe back so I'm not sure the club deserves too much credit in getting him back.  Hell, Derby probably called us. 

The whole thing is an odd one re Stewart being recalled.  I can't help but wonder if afc got in touch and said we will pay more and brum had a free recall clause. 

Heard a couple of days ago that we were in talks with Joe Shaugnessy , appears we are & St.J gaffer has confirmed it.  Could be a decent addition .

Odd one if it happens. Was McInnes that punted him, no? Also likely only to be a back up to Devlin and McKenna.

lewis morgan being talked about loan deal

No for a number of reasons

Probably means GMS is away

Puts him ahead of McLennan

Develops an opponent's youngster

Unable to play in games against them.

Dislike everything connected to that racist club

No for a number of reasons

Develops an opponent's youngster

Unable to play in games against them.

These would be my main two objections. Christie deal should and subsequent cup winning goal should be putting us off any further loans from teams in our own league unless it’s a try before you buy set up.

Should also say your last point also has merit.

Thought we may have learned our lesson from loaning players from Celtic after Christie, it would seem not.

Obviously I hate us getting players from them, but pragmatically speaking though, we got a player who won us several points and progressed us through tournaments (semi final goal v Hibs for example). Whilst we developed a player for the Tims, arguably they could easily have just bought a player of similar calibre (Rogic let's say) who would have done a similar job and also had no bother scoring against us. I think, overall, we gained a lot from Christie's move in terms of our on the park performances - we were a better team with him in it (although I never thought him and McGinn worked particularly well together, but that's not specific to Christie). Celtic also gained massively too, but that's neither here nor there given the gulf in finances. You also have to factor in the points gained by another club (say Hertz, Hibs or whoever) had they signed Christie instead; he's clearly a good player that thrived on game time. From a short term perspective, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Christie or Morgan as a temporary solution for six months is fine if there are few other obvious options (which is almost always the case in January). The biggest problem is the long term defecit that it creates. Celtic are developing a model whereby they can pick up the best young players (Christie, Morgan, Allan, Griffiths) with zero intentions of developing them. They send them out on loan to either success or, in the case of Allan, not quite there. By facilitating these loans (and, let's be honest, they will just loan Morgan to someone else if not us) we're actively promoting a model which allows Celtic to have zero/minimal downside to taking a punt on a young player. They can pay a comparitively small fee and then have a significant portion of the subsequent wages funded by the loan move with a resulting asset generally worth more than the initial outlay and wages less loan wages received.

To me, it's a systemic issue that needs to be addressed further up the chain than AFC (although AFC could certainly highlight it), perhaps by preventing loans between clubs in the same league. Whilst Morgan could probably have/may still go down South for a spell, that possibly wouldn't give him the same Tim-ready experience that he'd get in the SPL. I think that would be a simple solution to a problem that isn't being addressed or recognised, and would probably prevent the Tims going for players like Morgan in the first place, who clearly aren't anywhere near ready for their first team, but allows them to have significant control of the best players in the league(s). Until that type of legislation is passed however, we may be cutting our noses off to spite our faces - from an entirely pragmatic perspective - by not pursuing these types of loans, as inevitably our loss would be someone else's gain.

Obviously I hate us getting players from them, but pragmatically speaking though, we got a player who won us several points and progressed us through tournaments (semi final goal v Hibs for example). Whilst we developed a player for the Tims, arguably they could easily have just bought a player of similar calibre (Rogic let's say) who would have done a similar job and also had no bother scoring against us. I think, overall, we gained a lot from Christie's move in terms of our on the park performances - we were a better team with him in it (although I never thought him and McGinn worked particularly well together, but that's not specific to Christie). Celtic also gained massively too, but that's neither here nor there given the gulf in finances. You also have to factor in the points gained by another club (say Hertz, Hibs or whoever) had they signed Christie instead; he's clearly a good player that thrived on game time. From a short term perspective, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Christie or Morgan as a temporary solution for six months is fine if there are few other obvious options (which is almost always the case in January). The biggest problem is the long term defecit that it creates. Celtic are developing a model whereby they can pick up the best young players (Christie, Morgan, Allan, Griffiths) with zero intentions of developing them. They send them out on loan to either success or, in the case of Allan, not quite there. By facilitating these loans (and, let's be honest, they will just loan Morgan to someone else if not us) we're actively promoting a model which allows Celtic to have zero/minimal downside to taking a punt on a young player. They can pay a comparitively small fee and then have a significant portion of the subsequent wages funded by the loan move with a resulting asset generally worth more than the initial outlay and wages less loan wages received.

To me, it's a systemic issue that needs to be addressed further up the chain than AFC (although AFC could certainly highlight it), perhaps by preventing loans between clubs in the same league. Whilst Morgan could probably have/may still go down South for a spell, that possibly wouldn't give him the same Tim-ready experience that he'd get in the SPL. I think that would be a simple solution to a problem that isn't being addressed or recognised, and would probably prevent the Tims going for players like Morgan in the first place, who clearly aren't anywhere near ready for their first team, but allows them to have significant control of the best players in the league(s). Until that type of legislation is passed however, we may be cutting our noses off to spite our faces - from an entirely pragmatic perspective - by not pursuing these types of loans, as inevitably our loss would be someone else's gain.

Excellent post. Have a Simmie  :thumbsup: