Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Gary Hooper - out of contract in the summer and not played for Sheff Wed this season.  Superb goal scoring record throughout his career.  Would be a great replacement for Adam Rooney, whether he would be affordable is another thing.  Worth a shot.

Probably nothing in this one, but just heard that Michael O Halloran is a target. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

I’d take him, there’s a good player there. Success at a Scottish team, move to the old firm didn’t work out. Very similar to GMS, and potentially his replacement?

Hibs linked with a loan for Morgan, I’d take him. Mulumbu loan would be a good signing. Has he ever played for Celtic??

I’d take him, there’s a good player there. Success at a Scottish team, move to the old firm didn’t work out. Very similar to GMS, and potentially his replacement?

Not sure what O'Halloran you have been watching but he is only similar to GMS in that they both earn a crust playing football for a living. His one asset is his lightning pace.....which coincidentally is his one way of taking on a defender.......boot the ball beyond and outpace him. Fine if the defender is last man but there's usually cover....GMS operates on a totally different level.

Oh and despite being a rabid Dhim (his father is actually a paid member of their coaching staff ffs) he chose to join sevco (pretty disastrously as it turned out though no doubt the £6k/week turned his head a bit) so not really of the moral fibre I'd want at our club...

Expect to hear he's on a 'plane to Dubai in tomorrows papers  :hammer:

Cheerio Tansey, wasn't disappointed when he signed, thought he'd add technical ability to the midfield, but looked uncomfortable here, like he never believed in his own ability.

Usually one out means we're about to add one ( The freed up wages? ) and we're now being linked with someone called Jack Whatmough, but allegedly Rankgers and Ceptic are interested in him as well.

Had 18 months left on contract. Would guess we have given him 12 months cash up front in order to get him to f@ck off now. He would only have been paid somewhere around our average wage.....at £3k/week we have saved ourselves somewhere in the region of £75k in doing so. Hardly a fortune but should be enough to cover the pay rise Cosgrove just earned himself.

Not sure what O'Halloran you have been watching but he is only similar to GMS in that they both earn a crust playing football for a living. His one asset is his lightning pace.....which coincidentally is his one way of taking on a defender.......boot the ball beyond and outpace him. Fine if the defender is last man but there's usually cover....GMS operates on a totally different level.

Oh and despite being a rabid Dhim (his father is actually a paid member of their coaching staff ffs) he chose to join sevco (pretty disastrously as it turned out though no doubt the £6k/week turned his head a bit) so not really of the moral fibre I'd want at our club...

Expect to hear he's on a 'plane to Dubai in tomorrows papers  :hammer:

Whit?! Moral fibre? Should he have turned down the chance to move to a bigger club and advance his career  just because of the team he supported as a boy? That’s a nonsense attitude.

We all have a go at the Rat for joining sevco and did the same to Robertson, Wright and Theo when they joined oldco. Just not something I could do if I were in that position.

As for advancing his career.......really? From the minute he got there it was obvious his heart wasn't in it...and sevco realised that pretty sharpish too. Only thing that advanced was his bank balance.

Whatmough is an excellent player, would be amazed, yet delighted, if he signed for us, can't see it though.  Doubt he'd go to the Glasgow scum either.  Think it might be an agent angling for a bumper deal before Pompey go up (hopefully).  There'd be hell to pay down here if he left for next to nothing.

Doubt tansey got much from us, afc would have known about the Helen move i suspect.

He will be lucky to get half of what we were paying him down in Paisley. He certainly wouldn't go down to make any less than what he was due to be paid for the rest of his contract here. So we certainly haven't just given him a token pay off. It will be at very least half of what we were due him for the remaining 18 months and as I've already said, probably a touch more to ensure he left (He will have relocation costs, new house etc)

He will be lucky to get half of what we were paying him down in Paisley. He certainly wouldn't go down to make any less than what he was due to be paid for the rest of his contract here. So we certainly haven't just given him a token pay off. It will be at very least half of what we were due him for the remaining 18 months and as I've already said, probably a touch more to ensure he left (He will have relocation costs, new house etc)

Not necessarily true. He's rotting in the reserves here and his career has gone to shit. Maybe he jumped at the  chance to join St Mirren and ripped up his own contract. Highly doubt we gave him nothing but the chance to play top level Scottish football and play regularly might just get him one more transfer fee in the future. Going nowhere with us.

Not necessarily true. He's rotting in the reserves here and his career has gone to shit. Maybe he jumped at the  chance to join St Mirren and ripped up his own contract. Highly doubt we gave him nothing but the chance to play top level Scottish football and play regularly might just get him one more transfer fee in the future. Going nowhere with us.

I agree, although I think there'll be an element of both, with a reasonable compromise. I doubt that there are many players who'd want to sit around the periphary of a club and not play for a large chunk of their careers. The notion of being "due" money from us is a bit ridiculous and I doubt would trump any player's desire to play fitba (unless at the very end of a career, or after a bad dispute). I can only really think of Bobo Balde in recent years who seem to actively want to sit on a bench and collect money. Obviously, the opposite side to that is the agent in the middle, who will want to get his client the best deal, and I would have thought there would have been a decent pay off for the lad that would have been orchestrated by the agent in order to get the deal with St Mirren through. Perhaps an agreement to pay him until the summer (the equivalent of) or some such. Still the cost of a Cosgrove transfer fee though, but freeing up budget.

It's another failed signing though, and needs to be recognised as such. Tansey is just another example of a signing that was never going to be good enough (his team-mate Miles Storey being another). It was an unacceptably bad signing. I had watched enough of Tansey to know that he didn't possess the attributes required to be an AFC midfielder presently (he'd have been fine under McGhee, Brown or late Calderwood of course). His movement was poor, his dynamism not there, his left to right tracking when the ball wasn't in our possession terrible. He was like a really shite version of Kenny McLean, without the positional sense to be a Ryan Jack. Capable on the ball of picking a pass and taking a dead ball, but not the fitness, pace and effort to back it up. The thing about Tansey is that he played in our league long enough for us all to recognise that. I believe that Gleeson is in exactly the same position as Tansey, which is why I don't think he should be near our first team. People get tricked by his occasional excellent pass and tidy ball play, but he's so short on movement, strength, positioning and dynamism that he's never a starter. I have no idea what Gleeson was like down the road, so I can't tell if he has the ability to consistently raise his game in those areas, but in all the years of seeing Tansey it was very obvious he couldn't. Hopefully Gleeson will come good, but there is nothing in his play to date to suggest he can (TC mentions he can't last 90 minutes, but I think that this is less of an issue than his 60 shite minutes on the park so far). I think at some point we'll need to make a decision on both Gleeson and Forrester and they'll suffer the same fate as Tansey if there is no improvement. The problem is that - given their lack of game time in the SPL - there won't be a St Mirren waiting to pick them up, so we'll probably have to take a decent hit on both. I wouldn't rule out Gleeson just yet mind, but it's not looking good.