Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

When I have time, I'll respond.

Don't see it as a debating competition. You don't understand my points of view. That's fine. It's the responsibility of the communicator to ensure that the communicatee understands so it's my fault, not yours. I wrongly assumed that certain truths are so widely known that they didn't need spelled out. Assuming is always a mistake, just like you assuming what the goal should be, before changing your mind, feeling a bit silly about it and then reverting to your original rhetoric and making an arse of it.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I have time, I'll respond.

Don't see it as a debating competition. You don't understand my points of view. That's fine. It's the responsibility of the communicator to ensure that the communicatee understands so it's my fault, not yours. I wrongly assumed that certain truths are so widely known that they didn't need spelled out. Assuming is always a mistake, just like you assuming what the goal should be, before changing your mind, feeling a bit silly about it and then reverting to your original rhetoric and making an arse of it.

Excellent. While you're at it, could you provide quotes to backup the bit in bold as I think you've misunderstood what I have said.

Excellent. While you're at it, could you provide quotes to backup the bit in bold as I think you've misunderstood what I have said.

You're still treating it as a competition between us. You've agreed to disagree, you are communicating more effectively (by not drowning your points and arguments in thousands of words) but you've not swallowed your pride.

I will probably respond later but I'd rather just fuck off to be honest. Here's the quotes you asked for: -

The goal (I assume) is to finish as high up the league as possible whilst spending an amount of money roughly in line with our turnover.

I do believe that our goal is to win the league every year, or at least the dream is.

...or evidence that backs up your claim that our goal is not to win the league, or any evidence that having a goal of winning the league makes any difference whatsoever to realising that goal over and above just having a goal of finishing as high up the league as possible and signing the best players we can within our budget...

Dreams and goals can be related but they are very distinct. I assumed (wrongly, making an "ass" out of "u" and "me") that that one was well known.

I will probably respond later but I'd rather just fuck off to be honest. Here's the quotes you asked for: -

Dreams and goals can be related but they are very distinct. I assumed (wrongly, making an "ass" out of "u" and "me") that that one was well known.

Thanks. The quotes you supplied show zero evidence of me changing my mind, the three being entirely compatible with one another. You've misinterpreted them.

It works two ways doesn't it?

You wanted quotes and I gave you them. I asked for my quotes that you interpreted as "massively flawed"?

No worries. Again, I'm happy to admit I'm wrong here, "massively flawed" is just my opinion and apologies if it was overstated. But specifically, I was referring to this:

we are not 7-8 players short, we are ONE manager short.

It's flawed, in my opinion, because by saying that we are one manager short you aren't simply ruling out AFC. You are ruling out all other managers that have worked in Scotland since the early nineties who also haven't been good enough to overcome the huge financial disparity for their clubs. That ONE manager hasn't been found by anyone. Unless you're suggesting that AFC are in some way uniquely placed, which I don't think that you are. You then correct me (correctly) by saying:

I also totally refute that expensive managers are the key to success. The best managers weren't expensive when they did their best work - including our own history if you're old enough to remember - and the evidence of expensive and big name managers failing in recent years, recent days if we want to include Jose at Man U is a very long list indeed

A point I'm happy to concede because you're clearly right. However, it does the reduce the pool somewhat for SPL chairmen/directors if they have to find the ONE manager before they have their first success and they become too expensive.

Scott Burns

?

@ScottBurns75

19m19 minutes ago

More

@CelticFC's Lewis Morgan looks set to disappoint @AberdeenFC by joining @SunderlandAFC on-loan.  @ScotExpress.

---

Scott Burns

?

@ScottBurns75

20m20 minutes ago

More

@officialdafc make approach to @AberdeenFC to try and loan Bruce Anderson and Scott Wright.  @ScotExpress

---

Scott Burns

@ScottBurns75

18m18 minutes ago

More

@AberdeenFC now keen to see if they can get Jonny Hayes back on-loan from @CelticFC.  @ScotExpress

Back on topic...

Scotsman seem convinced we were both in for Morgan and that he's going to Sunderland instead, no direct quotes though:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/scottish-cup/aberdeen-set-to-lose-out-to-sunderland-in-bid-for-lewis-morgan-1-4863894

They also seem to think we have proposed a 3 year deal for Greg Stewart, based on how he performs for the rest of the season.

Scotsman, pinch of salt etc, but both interesting and January window related  ;)

Sadly I fear that having missed out on Morgan, we are about to take Hayes in on loan till the summer. Really think this is a retrograde step but if GMS is offski prior to the Yank window closing then I'm prepared to suck it up as it allows us a bit of time to source the long term GMS replacement.....as long as Hayes himself doesn't become the long term replacement.

I'm surprised by the reaction towards the potential return of Hayes. He was our best player a year and a half ago. McGinn has deteriorated, GMS is inconsistent, Wright is the new Pawlett, and the young guys still need time. Hayes will be our best wide player even if he's not fully the player he used to be. Looked ok when we played Celtic recently, I'd rather take him than some diddy from Division 3.

I'm surprised by the reaction towards the potential return of Hayes. He was our best player a year and a half ago. McGinn has deteriorated, GMS is inconsistent, Wright is the new Pawlett, and the young guys still need time. Hayes will be our best wide player even if he's not fully the player he used to be. Looked ok when we played Celtic recently, I'd rather take him than some diddy from Division 3.

Our top scorer was some diddy from EFL2 (or division 4 as you would call it).....

The thing with Hayes, even if he was half as good as he was previously at us, he'd probably be out best winger! The guy was easily a 8 out of 10 performer most weeks, guaranteed assists, chipped in with plenty of goals & defended brilliantly.

He hasn't played an awful lot of Football since he left us though, he's ageing now and has probably lost a bit of his biggest asset, which was his pace, he'd be ineligible to play against Celtic and we'd be back to square one when the loan expired.

If I weigh everything up, I'd be against it, and I fucking loved him, genuinely, he was amazing in his spell here and I actually thought he'd retire here.

YAWN! ::) can we get back on topic please gents.

Anyone got any news/rumours? What happened with the Shaughnessy offer? Is he still considering his options? I reckon he's a replacement for Reynolds.

If they want to debate, let them. It's what the forum is about. You don't have to read the posts.

The thing with Hayes, even if he was half as good as he was previously at us, he'd probably be out best winger!

Great post and totally agree on every point. On your first point, isn't it tragic that our squad is so weak and/or imbalanced (due to shite management) that a reduced Hayes probably would be our best provider?

The chances of him being as good as he was are negligible given his age now, his rustiness from not playing regularly and the fact that he suffered a serious injury.

And as you say, fuck loan deals.

I'm surprised you're surprised LA. Then again, I shouldn't be as I've been wrongly assuming that most AFC fans are like me and want us to win the league, something that others think is impossible due to financial disparity and the game being rigged.

One aspect of winning in a team environment is culture, arguably the most influential aspect despite it not being discussed and acknowledged enough in these types of debates. A winning culture is engineered by a strong man with an exceptional mental outlook and high levels of self discipline and work ethic which inspires all around him. That exceptional man is not McInnes.

As ED said to me elsewhere, not sure why we'd accept less than what Villa offered last time around.

Is there any evidence at all that they did actually offer the reported amounts? They seemed exceptionally high bids and not really the sort of bids that the dons would turn down. The BBC reported that the Tims bid around £3.5M, which would seem about right, they didn't report on the Villa amount other than to say it was more. I just don't see any club thinking that they would need to bid more then £4-5M for an AFC player. It's 3-4 times our second place prize money.

Great post and totally agree on every point. On your first point, isn't it tragic that our squad is so weak and/or imbalanced (due to shite management) that a reduced Hayes probably would be our best provider?

The chances of him being as good as he was are negligible given his age now, his rustiness from not playing regularly and the fact that he suffered a serious injury.

And as you say, fuck loan deals.

I'm surprised you're surprised LA. Then again, I shouldn't be as I've been wrongly assuming that most AFC fans are like me and want us to win the league, something that others think is impossible due to financial disparity and the game being rigged.

One aspect of winning in a team environment is culture, arguably the most influential aspect despite it not being discussed and acknowledged enough in these types of debates. A winning culture is engineered by a strong man with an exceptional mental outlook and high levels of self discipline and work ethic which inspires all around him. That exceptional man is not McInnes.

I’m just surprised little or nobody speaks positively of Hayes potentially returning. I did say earlier he’d be our best wide player and that’s a sad admission but true and an upgrade which is a good thing. Our January dealings have been very underwhelming. As much as Lowe is a good player we all want a big more glamorous signings rather than three potential players returning to the club. Highlights the weaknesses in our scouting and transfers but I’m not surprised.