Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January window

Rico, I have to be honest and say the only time I ever saw Tansey for 90 minutes prior to joining us, was when he played against us, and to be fair to him, he looked capable, but obviously you can't judge a player over the course of 2-3 games, he certainly had technical ability, but that would appear to be all he had. He moves on and it has to go down as another poor McInnes signing.

As for Gleeson, I think he's made a marked improvement to our performance whenever he's came on, certainly against Hearts and Livingston. He contributes the ball well, is always looking for the ball and made a good impact in both games I mentioned. We still haven't seen enough of him, I'd like to see him get 3-4 consecutive starts, in where he'd last a full game, then we can get a good look at him, like you, I sincerely hope he changes opinions, much like Cosgrove did, because there is definitely a player there, I don't think we missed Ferguson even remotely in the Livingston game there, and when Gleeson came on, he contributed more than Ferguson normally does. Ferguson is a good young player, I am happy he's an Aberdeen player, but other than his goals, albeit important ones, his overall performances have been unnoticeable if we are all being honest. Not to say I think he should be dropped etc... but perhaps he could play the 10 role and maybe Gleeson could partner Shinnie in the deeper roles, that is something that I think could work.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Gleeson, I think he's made a marked improvement to our performance whenever he's came on, certainly against Hearts and Livingston. He contributes the ball well, is always looking for the ball and made a good impact in both games I mentioned. We still haven't seen enough of him, I'd like to see him get 3-4 consecutive starts, in where he'd last a full game, then we can get a good look at him, like you, I sincerely hope he changes opinions, much like Cosgrove did, because there is definitely a player there, I don't think we missed Ferguson even remotely in the Livingston game there, and when Gleeson came on, he contributed more than Ferguson normally does. Ferguson is a good young player, I am happy he's an Aberdeen player, but other than his goals, albeit important ones, his overall performances have been unnoticeable if we are all being honest. Not to say I think he should be dropped etc... but perhaps he could play the 10 role and maybe Gleeson could partner Shinnie in the deeper roles, that is something that I think could work.

I wasn't at the Livingston game, so couldn't comment. The Hearts game Gleeson did quite well when he came on, but only in comparison to Campbell who was struggling a little. His performances earlier in the season were weak as pish (especially the opening hun game) and it was no surprise that both Ferguson and Ball have been in ahead of him all season. Ferguson has been light years ahead of him in terms of movement, covering, pace and general game intelligence and at the moment Gleeson will - correctly - get nowhere near the team if Ferguson is avaible (I see our midfield as Shinnie and Ferguson, with Ball covering for Shinnie and Gleeson for Ferguson). Where I think Ferguson struggles, is in the attacking midfield role that you suggest could work - I think he's been poor nearly every time he's been played there. He's basically a direct replacement for Kenny McLean, who came into his own when played in the deeper role leaving Shinnie to do the pressing and hassling. He has a lot to learn, but everything suggests that Ferguson has the attributes to be a better player than McLean. From watching him in every game apart from the Livingston one, I don't believe Gleeson possesses those attributes and thus will struggle to ever be the player that Ferguson is/will be. The only question for me is if we are paying Gleeson far too much money to be midfield cover. I'm inclined to think so, however Campbell's introduction against Hearts suggested that holding onto Gleeson at least until the end of the season would be beneficial.

Interesting rumour on the Hat of a new player on his way to Dubai to be signed up by the weekend. If true it's a cracker.....

And I'm nae tellin you lot who is  :laughing:

I just saw it, can't see it at all if I am being honest. Although.....It would be a terrific signing.

I am seeing Nathan Delfounso being mentioned a fair bit on Twitter. Also GMS to Sheff Wed allegedly.

I just saw it, can't see it at all if I am being honest. Although.....It would be a terrific signing.

I am seeing Nathan Delfounso being mentioned a fair bit on Twitter. Also GMS to Sheff Wed allegedly.

It was the "wages to be covered by Cormack personally" that says to me there could be something in it......

(the terrific possible signing, nae Nathan f@cking Delfounso obviously)

I wasn't at the Livingston game, so couldn't comment. The Hearts game Gleeson did quite well when he came on, but only in comparison to Campbell who was struggling a little. His performances earlier in the season were weak as pish (especially the opening hun game) and it was no surprise that both Ferguson and Ball have been in ahead of him all season. Ferguson has been light years ahead of him in terms of movement, covering, pace and general game intelligence and at the moment Gleeson will - correctly - get nowhere near the team if Ferguson is avaible (I see our midfield as Shinnie and Ferguson, with Ball covering for Shinnie and Gleeson for Ferguson). Where I think Ferguson struggles, is in the attacking midfield role that you suggest could work - I think he's been poor nearly every time he's been played there. He's basically a direct replacement for Kenny McLean, who came into his own when played in the deeper role leaving Shinnie to do the pressing and hassling. He has a lot to learn, but everything suggests that Ferguson has the attributes to be a better player than McLean. From watching him in every game apart from the Livingston one, I don't believe Gleeson possesses those attributes and thus will struggle to ever be the player that Ferguson is/will be. The only question for me is if we are paying Gleeson far too much money to be midfield cover. I'm inclined to think so, however Campbell's introduction against Hearts suggested that holding onto Gleeson at least until the end of the season would be beneficial.

I am fairly certain they are being asked to play different types of roles, I didn't think Gleeson performed badly at all against Rangers, but I do think he's perhaps training poorly or there are other factors involved, in why he's being left out. He started all of our pre season games ( I think ) and then the opening league game, Ferguson is obviously more energetic and I think the Scottish Game requires that, but other than his goals, I don't think he's produced an awful lot else, that is not to say I am writing him off, far from it, I said at one stage he was our best performing & playing at the same time, midfielder, but I think Gleeson has shown enough now to merit more game time.

Interestingly, if you look at the starting 11 vs Rangers on the opening game, it's something I have alluded too, barring Ball at RB, that is a straight swap for Logan now.

Lewis

Ball

Devlin

McKenna

Considine

Gleeson

Shinnie

McGinn

Ferguson

GMS

Cosgrove

It's a reasonable 11, the positive with Ferguson though, is that he is still very young and has barely played top flight Football until he came to us, he will continue to develop and learn and be a shoe-in for a starting spot for seasons to come hopefully, and having the likes of Gleeson here will only help him, but I believe, and it's only my opinion, that Gleeson can become a key player for us, or at least I hope he does. Unsure as to how many opportunities he will get to prove himself.

If he gets himself fit to last 90 minutes he will get plenty opportunities going forward with Shinnie likely to be offski in summer. Quoting the sevco game in August was probably a bad idea given that their 10 men totally steamrollered our midfield that day until the last 15 minutes with Gleeson needing subbed off just after the 50th minute as he was blowing ut his arse.  I agree he has looked decent in the last month and does look to have shifted some of the excess baggage he was carrying. Hopefully the rest will come off in Dubai and we are then left with what almost amounts to a new signing

It was the "wages to be covered by Cormack personally" that says to me there could be something in it......

(the terrific possible signing, nae Nathan f@cking Delfounso obviously)

You've been had mate. Johnny Russell is not currently on a flight to Dubai. The boy Galloway is also a lot of shite, while Delfounso was from the well known troll Agent Kevin.

I am fairly certain they are being asked to play different types of roles, I didn't think Gleeson performed badly at all against Rangers,

He was fucking rank against the hun, poofed out of several challenges and struggled to move after half time. It was an atrocious performance. Difficult to understate how shite he was that day. I'm surprised anyone thought otherwise.

Lewis

Ball

Devlin

McKenna

Considine

Gleeson

Shinnie

McGinn

Ferguson

GMS

Cosgrove

It's a reasonable 11, the positive with Ferguson though, is that he is still very young and has barely played top flight Football until he came to us, he will continue to develop and learn and be a shoe-in for a starting spot for seasons to come hopefully, and having the likes of Gleeson here will only help him, but I believe, and it's only my opinion, that Gleeson can become a key player for us, or at least I hope he does. Unsure as to how many opportunities he will get to prove himself.

But Ferguson is poor (or wasted, he's not shite there) in the forward role, whereas very dynamic in the sitting role with plenty of room for improvement. All his attributes point to him playing that role, he's nae a James Maddison/Ryan Christie type. I certainly don't think he'll learn anything from Gleeson as he's already a better player.

I'm not saying that Gleeson is shite like, he's just very run of the mill. He's Rob Milsom. Tidy on the ball, doesn't give up possession too easily with wayward passing but moves side to side and is a fanny in the tackle. From memory, he had an injury and missed the first part of pre-season so perhaps fitness has been an issue. He looked steady but unspectacular against Hertz, with one decent ball that nearly came off. I definitely wouldn't write him off, I just think that we could do better (or cheaper) in our back up positions. I certainly don't think he's a charlatan either, like Forrester, I think he's genuine enough and will definitely improve given opportunity (just nae enough I don't think).

Can I ask, do you attend the games? The reason I ask is that, to me, he's the type of player that looks good on TV as he's tidy on the ball and has a certain gait about him that makes him look like a fitba'r. When you actually attend the games though it's visible that he's limited in his tracking, covering of full backs, dragging opponents away and so on. He's about half as good as Jack was, and I really wanted/expected that we'd get a player who could replace that role (I thought Forrester might be the McLean replacement before actually seeing him).

Johnny Russel doesn't really excite me. Decent enough player but I just don't think he's what we need.  Had a look at his stats for last season: 10 goals and 7 assists in 30 games which doesn't sound too bad 2bf but when you dig a little deeper his passing and finishing are not the best.  He's a blunt instrument when we need a scalpel.... Imo anyway.

This simply doesn't happen. There had been a couple of (very weak) rumours before that Milne was supposedly funding a transfer personally or paying the wages of a new player etc. but it's total bullshit. For a start, you don't get rich by pissing money away. Nobody gives nothing for nothing and trust me, there is nothing philanthropic about Messrs Cormack and Milne. Even philanthropy gets done in a tax-efficient manner but this idea that a director is personally funding this or that is total shite. The club has enough working capital to fund a new footballer. It's had it's debt cleared by Wm Donald (for what in return, we have yet to learn) and is running in profit. The more interesting angle is the source of these supposed weak rumours? My guess is that some arselicking cunt like Duncan Fraser or one of them who have vested interests in tonguing the hoop of the established order have been encouraged to "say something in passing" when in conversation with one that they know will repeat it, but deliberately NOT to a journalist. There is NEVER any proof or facts behind this sort of shit rumours... but certainly an agenda in place to convince i.e hoodwink the fans into thinking that the board want what we want and that the club is being run in the best interests of AFC plc, which it isn't and hasn't been since Stewrat usurped the hapless baby Donald (Ian),

Rico, not been to Pittodrie this season, but been to a handful of away games, I usually get to most of the away games ( live in Ayrshire ) but out of work at the moment, will be able to make a better fist of it when that changes.

I thought he absolutely changed the complexion of the game vs Hearts, we were losing the midfield battle quite alarmingly then he came on and immediately brought a level of calm and composure, and we started getting up the pitch more and the game turned in our favour more so. Him & Wilson made the difference against Livingston.

I just really want him to succeed, as I do every signing we make, and I maintain he comes with pretty decent pedigree, but admittedly that has dried up last season in England for him, could be the reason he's now an Aberdeen player I guess. Time will tell, it always does, and even more so if we add another midfielder this window  :o

I'm not sure about all this diverting folk to other forums rather than just repeating the rumours with the caveat that they will likely be utter pish.

It's Johnny Russell, by the way. And some cunt called Brendan Galloway (Mike's brither).

Agreed, no more of this nonsense please  :thumbsup:

I hadn't realised Russell wasn't even 30 yet, feels like he's been around for ages.

This simply doesn't happen. There had been a couple of (very weak) rumours before that Milne was supposedly funding a transfer personally or paying the wages of a new player etc. but it's total bullshit. For a start, you don't get rich by pissing money away. Nobody gives nothing for nothing and trust me, there is nothing philanthropic about Messrs Cormack and Milne. Even philanthropy gets done in a tax-efficient manner but this idea that a director is personally funding this or that is total shite. The club has enough working capital to fund a new footballer.

^^^^^This. Did folk just ignore the entire EBT side letter thing with the huns? Directors cannot directly fund a player's wages. They can provide investment to the club, which in turn can be used to pay players. That investment would be detailed in the accounts. They can provide loans, like the new hun. They cannot pay all or part of a players wages whilst being a professional football club in Scotland as it would invalidate that player's registration and any titles won when that player was registered would be stripp..... actually, fuck it, you can do what you like.

GMS in talks with NYC, cant really begrudge him that move, cracking opportunity.

Aye, if I was a player with relative ability like GMS and my options were here or shit-hole towns in England playing second tier fitba, and NYC came offering an opportunity, I'd be off like a shot.

If the NYC story is true then it's cheerio GMS.

Their season starts in March, there would be no point in them showing interest but waiting till his contract runs out in late May by which time half their season is gone so hopefully we can tan them for £200k (more realistically £100k but you have to at least try) so they can get him in time for their pre-season training.