Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Partick Thistle V Aberdeen

Can't believe I am about to say this, but I am now at the stage where I would now take on Jack Ross.

I was adamant several months ago that I would not entertain him, purely because he's still unproven, but he's all but won the Championship and I would get him in now to asses what he has and give him a pre-season and transfer window before the start of next season.

I am going to make a prediction here, and it's not all that wild, we won't win the Scottish Cup and Hibs will pip us to 3rd place. 2nd is categorically gone and when the split comes, we will be lucky to win a game or two. I could be wrong, but if memory serves me right, our post split record is abysmal under McInnes.

I get the feeling that even players are starting to doubt the manager now and his belief in them, because they look shot to fuck in terms of confidence.

I get that he probably had one eye on Tuesday night's replay, but we had an opportunity to get to within 3 points of the vermin, who will likely capitulate tomorrow, and give us the gap back from Hibs. Fucking infuriating and all self inflicted. I liked him, I thought he was the correct appointment, but he broke me after that Celtic game a few weeks back and I won't be won over now, I want him gone.

Our Plan B seems to be lump the ball forward to the target man. Now, we don't actually have a target man so we use Rooney in that role but that's not important. If hitting the target man is our Plan B, do we actually practice this scenario in training?

I saw Rooney win maybe half a dozen headers, not a single one of them resulted in an Aberdeen player touching the ball next.

Now, I've never managed or coached a football team, but surely it's a case of instructing Rooney to flick the ball either forward, behind, left or right and nominate someone to stand off him ready to intercept before Woodman/McKenna/O'Connor thumps the ball forward?

If there's no clear and concise plan to retain the ball after Rooney heads it, then what's the point? We're just cheaply giving away possession.

Need to stick up for Dom Ball here, did the job he was asked to do and as soon as he was off the park Thistle started to stream through the middle of us on the counter.

How Christie survived the hook is incredible, rarely found a Dons shirt all day and that's been in keeping with his recent performances. Always wants/takes a hard first touch, generally from where the ball has come from - has to get his head up quicker and realise what's happening around him.

Huge difference between today and the first quarter of last week's game (when we actually attacked well) was trying to attack down the left; predictably our flow just stops with Considine - offers us nothing in an attacking sense and is getting poorer defensively.

Greg Stewart being flung on for the final ten to try to nick it for us when we've not seen him since the Ibrox debacle smacked of desperation from McInnes. I like Stewart but it's clear DM has taken the huff with him, his only first team football in two months is the last ten mins when we need a goal... hardly fair on the lad is it? Hard enough coming off the bench and affecting the game never mind when you've not had a kick for 2 months.

Deserved boos at the end. Not for the effort of the players, but the directionless, unimaginative management on display yet again.

Dear god I only got to see part of the second half but it was more than enough to make me lose whatever 'guilt' I had for not going to what is essentially a home game for me.

At one point I found myself almost screaming at the laptop for any player on the field, partick or dons, to actually take control of the ball and play it on the actual ground. I used to put up with is in my blind loyalty days but football in general now is daylight robbery on all counts.

I don't know what the ticket prices were but I can now see why so many fans are get hammered before going to games.  :hammer:

Just home.....fucking soaked, frozen and raging.

Agree with every word of Bobby's post.

Ball certainly one of our better performers today.

Christie was fucking honking.

Woodman's kicking is shite.

Changing May for Rooney made no difference..

Fucking dreading Tuesday night.

Off to golf club to get pished.

Yep thought Ball was effective enough in the role he was asked to do, he's better on the ball than AOC and more disciplined than Nwakali. When he went off Partick midfield took control.

Horrendous miss by Shinnie no more than 8 yards out either a bit of height or a bit more power and he scores but he made it too easy for Thistle keeper to save.

Hibs on fire, we are honkin right now looks like 4th place unless everyone rapidly bucks up their ideas

Our Plan B seems to be lump the ball forward to the target man. Now, we don't actually have a target man so we use Rooney in that role but that's not important. If hitting the target man is our Plan B, do we actually practice this scenario in training?

I saw Rooney win maybe half a dozen headers, not a single one of them resulted in an Aberdeen player touching the ball next.

Now, I've never managed or coached a football team, but surely it's a case of instructing Rooney to flick the ball either forward, behind, left or right and nominate someone to stand off him ready to intercept before Woodman/McKenna/O'Connor thumps the ball forward?

If there's no clear and concise plan to retain the ball after Rooney heads it, then what's the point? We're just cheaply giving away possession.

Well, I have coached teams for the last 23 years and have done all my badges/licenses, and while I don’t coach at the pro level, yet again our tactics are fucking awful.

We get absolutely nothing from our center forward, Rooney or May, but in their defense, service is shocking. Long ball to chase or high ball to win against a taller and more physical defender. We usually get fuck all from that and got nothing today.

Our tactics of getting it wide and attacking the line/wide also got us nothing today. We stuck with that tactic for 90 mins when a different approach was clearly needed.

We got nothing from our attacking mid/number 10 today. Dropped too deep and left the forward all alone up top. No link or support play.

Our subbing made very little difference. Subbing GMS and Stewart is like for like. We needed a tactical change as well as personnel change.

McLean was shit when Ball went off, made him worse. Did he even touch the ball after that?

Very clear our confidence is low and our manager doesn’t appear to know what to do...

Just home.....fucking soaked, frozen and raging.

Agree with every word of Bobby's post.

Ball certainly one of our better performers today.

Christie was fucking honking.

Woodman's kicking is shite.

Changing May for Rooney made no difference..

Fucking dreading Tuesday night.

Off to golf club to get pished.

Oh and we have some total arseholes in our support.

Punches thrown amongst our own support towards end of game in the presence of children..

Fucking disgraceful.

Need to stick up for Dom Ball here, did the job he was asked to do and as soon as he was off the park Thistle started to stream through the middle of us on the counter.

How Christie survived the hook is incredible, rarely found a Dons shirt all day and that's been in keeping with his recent performances. Always wants/takes a hard first touch, generally from where the ball has come from - has to get his head up quicker and realise what's happening around him.

Huge difference between today and the first quarter of last week's game (when we actually attacked well) was trying to attack down the left; predictably our flow just stops with Considine - offers us nothing in an attacking sense and is getting poorer defensively.

Greg Stewart being flung on for the final ten to try to nick it for us when we've not seen him since the Ibrox debacle smacked of desperation from McInnes. I like Stewart but it's clear DM has taken the huff with him, his only first team football in two months is the last ten mins when we need a goal... hardly fair on the lad is it? Hard enough coming off the bench and affecting the game never mind when you've not had a kick for 2 months.

Deserved boos at the end. Not for the effort of the players, but the directionless, unimaginative management on display yet again.

I think it’s interesting that GMS and Stewart were starting to find consistency/form and then we signed McGinn. Since that point we’ve juggled formation again and players have lost confidence and consistency. Delighted we have Niall but we need to give another player an extended run to find form.

I’d drop Christie for Stewart. We lose Christie anyway so give Stewart the chance to find form in the deeper attacking mid/number 10 role. Pretty sure we can sign Stewart permanently if we want him so worth the change.

Oh and we have some total arseholes in our support.

Punches thrown amongst our own support towards end of game in the presence of children..

Fucking disgraceful.

Saw something in front of us today where the stewards stepped in but don't think punches were thrown - a lad screaming for DM to change it was told to "support the team". He turned and told the "happy clapper" to fuck off, few words said and the stewards moved in.

There is a bit of a divide in the support; some are fed up of the manager, some have faith he'll come good again.  It's frustrating for everyone though at present.

That was brutal today. We looked totally devoid of ideas. Ball was only one to get pass marks. He was not spectacular but kept things simple and worked hard. Rest of the team were awful. We look like a team that cannot wait for the seasonto end. Woodman's distribution makes me miss clangers. Christie was like being a man down. How he managed to avoid being subbed is beyond me. Most worrying thing is McInnes seems to have no idea how to change things.

That was brutal today. We looked totally devoid of ideas. Ball was only one to get pass marks. He was not spectacular but kept things simple and worked hard. Rest of the team were awful. We look like a team that cannot wait for the seasonto end. Woodman's distribution makes me miss clangers. Christie was like being a man down. How he managed to avoid being subbed is beyond me. Most worrying thing is McInnes seems to have no idea how to change things.

It's a similar situation to previous seasons with McGinn (instead of Christie). McInnes will stick with these guys for the entire match, or a large part of it, despite having a poor game. It's the old "but he's got the capability to produce something from nowhere" school of thought. It's true in part, however it ignores the multiple game streaks of poor form (McGinn early last season, Christie recently) where they have played several 90 minutes without producing and also playing badly in general. He doesn't have to drop them, just take them off early when it's clear that they're not performing. Ball was defending better and using the ball better and so he should have stayed on the pitch. Christie should have been hooked at half time for GMS or whoever (the choices aren't great) and given the replacement a good run at it.