Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

Given some of the pish that we have had to support in a red jersey I'm pretty pleased that Christie will be with us next season.

Yes in an ideal world he wouldn't be on loan and I don't think anyone disagrees with that but most recognise the financial constraints we work with nowadays.

Patrick Roberts was on loan too remember! 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I accept I'm a voice in the wilderness but all we are doing is helping the likes of Celtic to hoover up all the young talent in the game, whether or not they have any intention of playing them.

I think maybe it would be a good idea to consider whether Inverness

would have been relegated with Christie in their team.

Take a look what happened to Dundee United.

I know we all enjoy a laugh at the jutes but fuck sake, Celtic just came and decimated their team.

We are now complisit in this, it stinks.

:thumbsup:b

Well, I accept I'm a voice in the wilderness but all we are doing is helping the likes of Celtic to hoover up all the young talent in the game, whether or not they have any intention of playing them.

I know we all enjoy a laugh at the jutes but fuck sake, Celtic just came and decimated their team.

We are now complisit in this, it stinks

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

We are now complisit in this, it stinks.

You're making valid points DD, very valid and have a feeling that in the long run you will probably be proved correct on your stance.

I would prefer we took players on loan from outside our league that way we are not helping our nearest rivals to profit in the long run. 

It may well stink DD but other than for a very short period in the early to late 80s it was ever the case the Old Firm would between them buy up any young promising Scottish talent from their rivals. At that time this was viewed as a positive thing, the fees received being passed on by the likes of ourselves to lower league clubs buy buying in their  promising talent in turn as replacements. Those at the Old Firm doing well would be signed in turn by your Manchester Uniteds, Liverpools, Leeds etc. These guys were, although famous, really not earning a lot more than your average working man.

The difference in pay levels in those bygone days was relatively small. going to the Old Firm you might, if you were lucky, double your pay at your present club. Going to England from the cheeks might have done the same for you if you went to one of the bigger clubs.

Now the difference in pay levels that we can offer compared to Sevco is still around that "double your money" level. That's bad enough but Celtic, with their Champions League cash, can offer money to young loons that will, over the course of a 3 or 4 year contract, set them up for life no matter how their future career pans out. So no one can blame these guys for choosing the option to sign. Some will be a success ( Armstrong, Lego muncher) others will never make the grade there ( GMS and in all likelihood Christie).

So whereas historically we would pay cash for a player surplus to requirements from the Old Firm ( Willoughby or even Joe Miller) nowadays its a sad fact we cannot pay wages even close to making us attractive to signing a player from them unless he is released at the end of his contract (and has no more lucrative offers lined up) or he gets a pay off from them covering the shortfall. In the end we all realise that sadly second place is all we are playing for. Christie may not be good enough for Celtic. He is good enough for us. I dont want to finish below sevco. So we need players of Christie's quality to achieve this. Season long loan not ideal but its better than nothing. Welcome back loon...

Reasonable points TC min, I can't disagree with any of that.

Borrowing a player from Celtic is just a step too far for me.

I wish it wasn't, I don't want to boycott the Dons, they've been my life.

Watch out for a mannie in a long coat, a bunnet and an obvious false beard hovering near the exit on the Y next season.

I think certain poster(s) are looking at thing through red tinted glasses.

Christie can't sign for Aberdeen permanently. Impossible. Why would someone take a 50% pay cut to sign for Aberdeen?

Loan players are a fact of life - Danny Ward was one also. Morata at Juventus was a loan player.

For usual red tinted glasses reasons Christie has gotten stick for coming to Aberdeen in loan yet Hayes is "getting off scot free" when he is the one under contract who has run off for the cash and glory.

I watched Ryan Christie last season. This player is good, very good probably just as good technically as Hayes. And AFC are reaping the benefits not Celtic.

Stop looking at Christie situation while reading newspapers wearing big red flashing dandy dons glasses. Take them off.

Christie is a top player and AFC have just made £1m+ out of the deal.

Its win win all round.

Maybe I'm missing the point but is there a difference signing a player from Rangers or Celtic/or ex Rangers or Celtic players or is that unacceptable too? I know there's people here too who don't accept that. Jim Bett is one of the best players I've ever seen play for the dons, and obviously McGinn was a success.

Christie played 10 games for Celtic scoring twice and has already played 15 games with 6 goals for us. I see him as being a better player this year.  Is it conceivable to see him as more of an Aberdeen player given he's played more for us and done more for us? It pisses me off he can't play against Celtic but it's certainly a good signing i'm happy to make.

Another name doing the rounds on Twitter ( I know, I know ) that we are apparently close to signing, is Tom Adeyemi, a midfielder released from Cardiff, Spent the season on loan at Rotherham, I would imagine if there's any truth in it, that he's in to beef up the midfield, will wait and see I suppose.

Is he good at kicking Judas Huns??

Christie is a quality player and will be one of, if not the best player Pittodrie next season, but the very opponent we absolutely need him to play against, he can't.  We'll probably survive matches against the rest if we don't have one of our best players, but against the team we are aspiring to catch, we probably can't afford to always be short of our best players when we meet them. 

Another way of looking at it - Personally think Christie could be more influential than eg,McGinn.If you deduct McGinns non efforts(allegedly  ;)) v Celtic,you could argue we may be getting better value with this deal.

I liked McGinn,but I think Christie brings an extra enthusiasm and buzz to proceedings which we sometimes lack.

Replacing Hayes is another matter,though it may be more a case of altering our style a bit,than trying to replicate him?

Dons being linked with a £250k move for none other than......Stevie May!

It wouldnt be a transfer window without us being to linked to good ol Stevie.

Thank feck

We need someone we can rely on.

Sorry but no striker is reliable at AFC at the moment.

Can't we bring back big Hecto...

How much would he cost. He loved it here didn't he?

Risky move paying that much when he's been out for a long time with a serious injury and has barely kicked a ball in anger either side of the injury.

^^^This. He's very similar to Rooney too. If we'd signed him in January, I wouldn't have complained, but I think that now we've got some time to scout players I'd prefer we went a bit wider with the search. I've always thought that, like Rooney, he lacks that extra yard of pace that would give us something a little extra. Whilst he was good at St Johnstone, I always thought that was him at his peak. He worked extremely hard to get to where he was then, but it didn't look like there was much room left for improvement. He didn't strike me as being as good as Scott MacDonald in his early Motherwell days, Naismith for Killie as examples. Players who were good at the time but you could tell had a long way to go in terms of their overall abilities. Much like Theresa, I think we reached peak-May a number of years ago. However, I think if we bought him he'd come here and score lots of goals like Rooney. If we are signing him, I hope we go for someone else too to give us a different dimension, like Moult at Motherwell. Someone that has potential too.