Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

Don't get me wrong, I loved the experience in 89. I engineered a position as chief mannie for the play off and during lockdown and clearing out the garage, came across a pic of a young me (yes 1962 vintage too) in white jeans with the Quiet Please above my head as Greg Norman splashed OoB.

But once is enough. Fuck dealing with the public and stupid yank tourists again and being stuck on a stand or crossing point, where the idiot stewards end up and see fuck all.

18 minutes ago, Donofanewera said:

Can’t see anyone stopping Brooks making history over the weekend. He seems to be so much better than anyone out of the poa annua/ryegrass rough. If you’ve ever played on the west coast it’s so difficult to maintain club head speed through impact 

I can see Brooks not winning. His putts short at 2 and 3 were absurd, as was his 3 putt. His ridiculously conceited and contemptuous words in his pre-event interview may bite him on the arse.

The rough here this week, exactly like Bethpage on the east coast which I attended last year is a total lottery and that's not golf in my view. One of my clients couldn't get the ball within 50 yards on Thursday from 172 and yet his playing partner Patrick Reed smashed it on the green from the rough 200 yards out. It's not maintaining club head speed that matters. It's getting the club head to the back of the ball and it's pure chance whether we can or not. 

It's good to share opinions. It's not good to dispute facts.

The rough at Harding Park, like the rough at Bethpage is unlike anything we see at The Open (with the exception of Carnoustie in 1999). The PGA deliberately prepare this championship like this and there is a far bigger premium on finding fairways here, as Tiger et al have been saying. Having the strength of Koepka and McIlroy and BdC is an obvious advantage in golf, but much more so from the wispy cabbage on a UK links than from this rough, where I assure you that whether the ball is sitting down or on top of the rough is pure chance. Even the degree by which the ball sits down in the rough is variable and the big hitters who do generate the highest club head speeds have all had impossible shots already this week. The low GIR count this week is a combination of the greens baking up in the afternoons but much more influenced by the severity and the unpredictability of the rough, even for Short Game shots, not just Approaches, some of which are impossible.

1 hour ago, Donofanewera said:

What services do you provide to golfers rocket ?

Various, and depending on the client. It's taken me 35,000 hours of bespoke analysis and more than half a century of experience of the game to be able to do my job. Lee Trevino in 1968 was first pro golf I saw. I would've been there this week but for Covid but between my clients at Hanbury Manor and Harding Park (let alone all the other less famous), I'm glad not to have travelled. Not enough hours in the day. 

16 hours ago, Donofanewera said:

Can’t see anyone stopping Brooks making history over the weekend. He seems to be so much better than anyone out of the poa annua/ryegrass rough. If you’ve ever played on the west coast it’s so difficult to maintain club head speed through impact 

Given what's just happened, 3 bogeys in a row for Koepka, all because he drove it in the rough, I wonder if your prediction was based on data or whether it was just a wild speculation based on fuck all?

His very first drive on Thursday cost him a 5 and at the 1st, his 10th, one of the easiest holes, he barely advanced his second from the rough and cost him bogey. The correlations between his dropped shots this week and finding rough off his tee shots is pronounced.

Paul Casey has the best golf coach there is: Peter Kostis.

The reason Paul is so compactly strong is due to hours of daily training substituting a club for a medicine ball, swinging it back and fore. And although the modern game dictates that feet should remain firmly grounded, Paul will raise his heel on impact. A strange yet wonderful swing.

Bespoke analysis #1

1 hour ago, dons8321 said:

He sounds very much like a former poster on Aberdeen-mad...posted as Jack Jarvis - troll, racist, sexist.  Best ignored.

Assuming you're not talking about me but to me, I've never come across a poster with royal and deeside in their username but I'm already ignoring him, as he knows. At least I was polite and said goodbye in my last address to it.

Wasn't a tough decision. He started with shit about my wife, was obviously on a personal crusade and has yet to post anything vaguely worthwhile. I think he's got serious issues, as others on the hat do. I think there's one or two more who will get bored soon and fuck off back to fraternise with their intellectual equals. 

2 minutes ago, Madbadteacher said:

Much as you have irritated me in the past and despite disagreeing with several of your points of view, I'm with you here RS. Guy seems unnecessarily abrasive and intrusive. 

I irritate most on these forums MBT. It's never personal (with me, until they make it personal and then it can be fun).

Unlike these children though, we don't resort to sickness in our exchanges... although I guess that's not strictly true as I can be a cunt. We don't run away from debates though and ignore tough questions or invent nonsense or repeat shite uttered by others. These type of cretins ruined the hat over the last 10 years, zero integrity both of character and in posting. Saddos basically. 

Cameron Champ. 

Not a name I'm familiar with so have doing my research prior to commenting:

Amazing how he can retain that much lag and still keep his body in a good position where he isn't using much axis tilt. You'd think that with that much lag he would be compensating somewhere to not hit as far down on the ball. Big hitting at its best. 

I hope Champ doesn't lose his bottle and is indeed the champ.

Bespoke analysis #2