Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

When Rocket was in his 20's he played football. In his 30's tennis was his pastime

When he got to 40+ that's when golf took hold.

Now he's well in to his 50's it's just a matter of time before marbles becomes his passion.

As his stomach expands and his voice gets squeakier, it's no surprise his balls are shrinking.

Edited by hercule poirot

20 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Not one wifie under par just now in the Women's Open at Troon. A stiff breeze on this classic links, in phenomenal condition right now is sorting them out. Just perfect conditions to separate the wheat from the chaff. Golf doesn't get better than strong winds on links. Pure. 

Well good luck to the women today.

Just had monsoon like conditions came though here.

Wind to get up late morning/noon and 45 mph winds with potential heavy showers.

That can all of course change in the blink of an eye (well a change of wind direction actually).

Shame there are no spectators as it is adding nothing to the local economy whatsoever. Even the competitors are all staying at The Hilton in Glasgow and getting driven here and back.

The best coaching model I've ever come across includes controlling the flight as one of the key focus areas. In links conditions such as these at Troon, this becomes an even more valuable core skill and so many of them simply can't do it.

World class Short Game and Putting are two of the other focus areas and whilst the data proves that the women are considerably worse than the men on and around the greens, I'm not sure that anybody knows why this is the case. I certainly don't and I've yet to hear a credible suggestion let alone an explanation.

21 minutes ago, royal deeside cowie said:

Stuck a pony on Hayley Moore yesterday morning with the intention of purchasing a new PXG driver with the winnings. If she pulls it off now l could be in line for a full set plus tour bag. 

Oh dear, 21 holes down, she will only have 15 more this week, assuming she doesn't walk off and go to the catering van.

Just now, ayrshire_don74 said:

thats the course protection if theres no wind its relatively straightforward

True, and at the Old Course in St Andrews, the difficulty of the course is totally dependent on the wind.

Some say that the bunkers are its protection but that's garbage. They were waxing lyrical about how Tiger avoided bunkers for all 72 holes when he won the Open (in 2000 possibly) but for anyone who knows the course, it takes a really bad shot to go into any of them. More difficult to avoid when blowing a gale of course but even in a stiff breeze, we should never be in any of them, the drive at the 12th having the most danger.

53 minutes ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

I played St Andrews few years back in 40 mph winds marshall said if open etc they would have cancelled, example hit reasonable fade into 11th wind caught hold and with reasonably quick greens i was putting what 100 yards from the 7th mental

We were playing foursomes on the Old - the Guy Campbell, the oldest foursomes tournament in the world - against a couple of old guys. We couldn't get over the burn in 2 at the 1st despite our combined handicap being 2! I said look at this - the mannie had a 5 Wood or something and yet was playing from 70 yards from the burn. He hit it bonny, it went skywards, it possibly made the distance but blew back and they were short of the burn in 3! That was the strongest wind I have ever played golf in and it would have been impossible to play an amateur medal round in, let alone the Open.

I might be playing at deeside tonight. Protected from the wind, but will likely be too soggy for my abilities (shite). I've got a new (second hand) 3 iron to try out. I bet I'll be shit at it. I'll never play enough golf to be good, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Balnagask is about the level of my links abilities. Played murcar once in difficult conditions, it didn't appreciate the nuances of my game.

2 hours ago, royal deeside cowie said:

Stuck a pony on Hayley Moore yesterday morning with the intention of purchasing a new PXG driver with the winnings. If she pulls it off now l could be in line for a full set plus tour bag. 

She's 125th in a field of 144 so she's still got a chance of being dead last.

Given your remarkable prediction rates and losing so many ponies, you should tell us immediately about your selections so that the rest of us can lay your picks on betfair and make a fortune.

12 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I might be playing at deeside tonight. Protected from the wind, but will likely be too soggy for my abilities (shite). I've got a new (second hand) 3 iron to try out. I bet I'll be shit at it. I'll never play enough golf to be good, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Balnagask is about the level of my links abilities. Played murcar once in difficult conditions, it didn't appreciate the nuances of my game.

I liked the original course but the new(ish) layout - and the club and the members - does nothing for me.

19 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I liked the original course but the new(ish) layout - and the club and the members - does nothing for me.

I've only played it a few times. One of my mates got a membership recently. Aye there once, wasn't bad, wasn't great. It's like a middle class hazelhead, but pleasant scenery and the like and forgiving enough for people like me. I haven't really mingled there as such, but I found it a lot more welcoming than portlethen. I can well imagine that for proper golfers, it is a little bit lacking.