Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

Even when it was the only available sport during lockdown, I wasn't tempted.

I do know about McIllroy though, he dumped Caroline Wozniacki. What an idiot. He was punching well above his weight there. If he was no use at golf she wouldn't have given him a second glance.

Golf is a good analogy.

In the early 70's when golf wasn't popular, it was only real enthusiasts participating. Us kids had been taught well, about the traditions, the history and the etiquette. There was great respect shown towards the game and fellow participants. Then colour TV came along and popularity surged. This brought with it incompetent practitioners and beer-swilling louts. The time it took to play swelled from three hours to 3.5 and then 4 hours, and considerably longer than that often these days. The corporates came along, buying memberships and spoiling the courses with their golf days, where rich businessmen who didn't have a clue would pollute the fairways and they would think they were doing us a favour by "putting money into the club".

It was better and more pure in the past. When it gets too busy, shit starts floating to the top. DT is Panmure in 1970. The hat is the Links next to Pittodrie in 2000.

Quite tragic really that The Amateur has no spectators. People watching, with or without a mask, outside on a classic links are obviously big risks of being spreaders.

Good start by Scotland's best prospect. Ben Schmidt the best in England in my opinion, despite watching Conor Gough in the Walker Cup in September. All these lads not even 18 yet. 

B14825B0-DA09-42E0-863A-BC5E241E97DA.png

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, scotfree said:

Who you recon will win the Ryder Cup, @Bigal1903?

That course looks a bit crazy. 

Very hard to see past the Yanks on home soil but then again I've thought that before and been proved wrong.

Best odds I can see at present for European victory is 12/5 at present.

I won't bet on overall because in a two horse race the potentail returns are just not worth it.

I have a day one result bet on USA 5.5 Europe 2.5 @ 8/1.

One thing is certain, I'm looking forward to it more than I am looking forward to going to the St Mirren game on Sunday

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wee toon red said:

Yanks to win by miles. I know folk say that almost every time but I think this year is a step too far for Poulter, Westwood and Garcia. The only thing that gives a bit of hope is that it's clear that a few big name members of the US team clearly don't care about the Ryder Cup.

A bold statement wee toon red, never in my years watching the Ryder Cup have the yanks ever won by miles.  In fact, seldom have they ever won!

A lot being said about the players positions in the world rankings and that the US have 8 of the top 10 in the world but let's be honest the world rankings are a pile of shite in most sports and golf none more so.  They reflect the last few months and are heavily weighted towards a few big tournaments.  If it comes down to a couple of matches on Sunday I'd still back Westwood to do the business against Morikawa, Poulter to beat Koepka or Garcia against DeChambeau. 

I also don't buy the US argument that they have rookies with no Ryder Cup battle scars so won't be weighed down by history.  They seem to trot this one out every few years as if they want to make themselves believe it but their main five or six players have all played before and experienced being humped!

The states are historically crap at creating good partnerships, Harrington eluded to it the other night when he was asked about pairing players from the same country.  He said that does not automatically make a good pairing and you have to consider a lot more than just whether they like each other.  The US broke up their best partnership of Speith and Reed last time around to go with Speith and Thomas just because they are best mates which was just foolish management.

The only negative from a European perspective is that the crowd will be all one sided which does give the US a massive helping hand.

46 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

A bold statement wee toon red, never in my years watching the Ryder Cup have the yanks ever won by miles.  In fact, seldom have they ever won!

A lot being said about the players positions in the world rankings and that the US have 8 of the top 10 in the world but let's be honest the world rankings are a pile of shite in most sports and golf none more so.  They reflect the last few months and are heavily weighted towards a few big tournaments.  If it comes down to a couple of matches on Sunday I'd still back Westwood to do the business against Morikawa, Poulter to beat Koepka or Garcia against DeChambeau. 

I also don't buy the US argument that they have rookies with no Ryder Cup battle scars so won't be weighed down by history.  They seem to trot this one out every few years as if they want to make themselves believe it but their main five or six players have all played before and experienced being humped!

The states are historically crap at creating good partnerships, Harrington eluded to it the other night when he was asked about pairing players from the same country.  He said that does not automatically make a good pairing and you have to consider a lot more than just whether they like each other.  The US broke up their best partnership of Speith and Reed last time around to go with Speith and Thomas just because they are best mates which was just foolish management.

The only negative from a European perspective is that the crowd will be all one sided which does give the US a massive helping hand.

They won 17-11 in 2016, which is miles in the context of the Ryder Cup and I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it isn't similar this time. Europe might manage to make a game of it over the first two days but I can't see any way the Yanks don't romp the singles.

Aye, good prediction though min.

Almost like the perfect storm for the americans.  A load of good players all in form, no european crowd, a number of our players out of form plus a couple of questionable decisions by Padraig.

Have to say, you do wonder where our next generation of players are coming from.  We seem to have lost a lot of good players from the top of the game over the last few years.  Thinking of Kaymer, Molinari, Colsaerts, Pieters, Noren, McDowell, Manassero.  It looked as if these boys would be mainstays of our team for years but it hasn't materialised.

• 8 months later...

Dustin Johnson has resigned from the PGA Tour.  First proper big name to commit to the Saudi money league.  A massive shake up about to happen to the establishment in golf. 🤔 I am suspecting McIlroy will be wishing he kept his cards closer to his chest now.

Wonder what would happen if the Open and Masters announced that these guys would be ineligible to play in their tournaments?