Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Golf Thread

McIlroy has four majors. Colon Monty has none. Norman got two.

I agree with your point that some sportspeople (inc. golfers) underachieve once they're loaded. I don't think it applies in Rory's case.

I don't think you can claim that was the reason for Monty & Norman underachieving either though, if that's your argument, which I'm not sure it is?

I don't think you can claim that was the reason for Monty & Norman underachieving either though, if that's your argument, which I'm not sure it is?

No I never argued that Norman and Colon underachieved by virtue of being discentivised by their already healthy bank balances. I don't even think Monty underachieved. His European Tour and Ryder Cup records were exceptional. He did fail to win majors however and he bottled the best chance he had at the 72nd. Him and Norman did have questionable mentalities in the big ones, Faldo coming from 5 back at Augusta being the most painful for Greg, an ELEVEN shot swing on the day that matters, the Sunday.

In my opinion, DESIRE is the quality above all others that determines success at the highest level. The desire to work harder, the desire to work smarter.

So Eleven Sports are broadcasting the first two rounds of the USPGA for free through Facebook. Surely not everybody who wants to watch this has Facebook or is tech savvy enough to hunt down a stream. Odd decision by the USGA and Eleven Sports.

Also not clear if they’ll be broadcasting their football rights on a dedicated channel or not.

So Eleven Sports are broadcasting the first two rounds of the USPGA for free through Facebook. Surely not everybody who wants to watch this has Facebook or is tech savvy enough to hunt down a stream. Odd decision by the USGA and Eleven Sports.

Also not clear if they’ll be broadcasting their football rights on a dedicated channel or not.

Surely it's about grassroots and kids and such like? In which case, plugging it to 40 year olds on Facebook is probably nae the best route.

Rocket, what do you make of Eddie Pep, seems like a bit of a character, puts out some decent blogs as being quite vocal on twitter.

Excellent golfer and his direct and forthright nature is good for the game.

Being twice his age however, I cringe at some of his posturing. Like many with talent and riches beyond their dreams - and trust me, he is well beyond his dreams until his Challenge Tour win (on an invite) kick-started him - they think they know everything.

Excellent golfer and his direct and forthright nature is good for the game.

Being twice his age however, I cringe at some of his posturing. Like many with talent and riches beyond their dreams - and trust me, he is well beyond his dreams until his Challenge Tour win (on an invite) kick-started him - they think they know everything.

I get ya, I've been following his career for a while now, it was after reading a blog of his about bottling a chance at tournament, perhaps 3 years ago, he had a melt down but what he wrote was pretty incredible, he seems to have an arrogance about him that'll help him win plenty but on the other hand could see him fall short too, I like his chances for this weekend.

I get ya, I've been following his career for a while now, it was after reading a blog of his about bottling a chance at tournament, perhaps 3 years ago, he had a melt down but what he wrote was pretty incredible, he seems to have an arrogance about him that'll help him win plenty but on the other hand could see him fall short too, I like his chances for this weekend.

Thanks for the tip. Just took a bit of each way on him. I wouldn't have at 66's or 80/1 but that's too good a price to ignore, especially given his last two majors.

When I say he makes me cringe sometimes, it's just that if I'm still learning at more than twice his age (just), he's sometimes too forceful in his views. He expresses his opinions as facts and doesn't appreciate this crucial distinction. He's young, he'll learn. I also thought I knew more than I did at that age.

Thanks for the tip. Just took a bit of each way on him. I wouldn't have at 66's or 80/1 but that's too good a price to ignore, especially given his last two majors.

When I say he makes me cringe sometimes, it's just that if I'm still learning at more than twice his age (just), he's sometimes too forceful in his views. He expresses his opinions as facts and doesn't appreciate this crucial distinction. He's young, he'll learn. I also thought I knew more than I did at that age.

He was 250/1 at the start of the week which is too big given his form.  Again I get you, I'm the same age as him and I'm definitely still learning.

McIlroy has a brand new putter this week. Very good idea. If it's working, we don't fix it. If it's not working, the best initial intervention is a new weapon. A change is as good as a rest etc. but looking down on something new implicitly assists forgetting the past, one shot at a time being the most difficult mental challenge in golf.

He's always been a streaky putter but his streaks of good putting have become increasingly less frequent these last 3 years. This change might be coming at exactly the right time, his last chance of a major for 8 months.

Argh, I'm not watching so didn't know that as I posted, that's a shame.

You and millions of others. This is the lowest viewing audience of a major in living memory. They're wanting us to subscribe to 11 sports and pay £49 before we can screen mirror. They can fuck off. Watching it on the wife's iPad. Pain in the fucking arse. A fanny pad of a tournament from the coverage point of view.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

You and millions of others. This is the lowest viewing audience of a major in living memory. They're wanting us to subscribe to 11 sports and pay £49 before we can screen mirror. They can fuck off. Watching it on the wife's iPad. Pain in the fucking arse. A fanny pad of a tournament from the coverage point of view.

If you've got a laptop connect it to your tele via an HDMI cable and you should get a crystal clear picture on your TV.

It doesn't get round the annoying American commentary but there's always the mute button  :thumbsup:

The free facebook feed on Thursday & Friday has probably ensured that 11sports will crash and burn before it's even begun. just horrible coverage.

The free facebook feed on Thursday & Friday has probably ensured that 11sports will crash and burn before it's even begun. just horrible coverage.

The worst thing was having to select a featured group. I had Tiger on the phone and Brooks on the iPad. It was only when the last group got to the 16th that it resembled normal coverage as we were able to pick the 16th, 17th and 18th featured holes option.

The amount of adverts and the repeating of the same (Bethpage) advert every time you dared to use the phone for something else before getting back on the App was dreadful. Like the R & A selling the Open to Sky, the agenda of maximising immediate profits is diminishing the audience and killing the grass roots in the longer term.

And to the other, yes I do have an HDMI cable but I don't download Apps to my MacBook and as I'm not on Facebook and detest the organisation, I chose not to stream it through my digital telly.