Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer News / Gossip

The thing with Rodgers is where does he go ?

Does he go back to Falkirk ?

Not sure what that would achieve as he has already proved he can play at that level.

Could a SPL team fancy taking him on loan ?

I'd hope he'd go out to a premier league team to prove himself in this league.  It's all well and good getting rave reviews in the championship but I'd be surprised if it's enough to prove he's ready to be number 1 for a team who should be challenging for the premier league again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 keepers plus the the 2 lads in the under 20s seems like overkill even if Rodgers goes on loan. Very odd.

Agreed, seems odd, he's either off permanently or we've got one very unhappy keeper.  McInnes must have a plan. I could have seen it working if we had Alexander on 6 month deal, providing cover to Lewis while Rogers is on loan at a premier league team for 6 months.

But all that seems far fetched with a year deal.

Agreed, seems odd, he's either off permanently or we've got one very unhappy keeper.  McInnes must have a plan. I could have seen it working if we had Alexander on 6 month deal, providing cover to Lewis while Rogers is on loan at a premier league team for 6 months.

But all that seems far fetched with a year deal.

I guess all this is assuming Alexander is actually going to sign!

So Rogers back to Falkirk as part of the Will Vaulks deal?

That would be good. I have to say, I'm actually a fan of Alexander, I think he's a very good goalkeeper. Getting to the end of his career, but he'd be the best number 2 we're had in years (we've had a lot of shite!). Remains to be seen if this Lewis cunt is any good.

That would be good. I have to say, I'm actually a fan of Alexander, I think he's a very good goalkeeper. Getting to the end of his career, but he'd be the best number 2 we're had in years (we've had a lot of shite!). Remains to be seen if this Lewis cunt is any good.

I agree completely. Lewis certainly has had very good reviews but makes me wonder why he's never really cemented his spot. If he's a hidden gem then happy days!

Dons boss Derek McInnes today confirmed his summer signing spree is still not finished despite swooping for three players in a day.

McInnes said: “I anticipate more coming in. We have made good signings and still feel there is a need for improvement and bolstering the squad.

“It is about getting that quality in while still having the necessary numbers.”

I really hope there is a central midfielder in there. We definitely need a 'star' signing to boost the fans and players confidence. The club have definitely shown that they are not sitting on their laurels and are expanding the squad but we need to make a statement to the teams around us and to the Old Farm.

McInnes said: “I anticipate more coming in. We have made good signings and still feel there is a need for improvement and bolstering the squad.

“It is about getting that quality in while still having the necessary numbers.”

I don't agree we've made good signings at all.  These guys are not going to be the additions required to push Celtic - way, way short of the quality required.

At the moment, with the exception of a keeper obviously, does anyone really think our starting line-up is going to look any different to last season?  I certainly don't and it is really concerning.

We need a big, commanding, no nonsense centre half (someone who can mark Taylor as well as the opposition.). We need a commanding centre midfielder.  I know these types don't grow on trees and we're likely to pay a wee bit more for them, but without either we will not be progressing. We need real leaders brought in, and they must be guys who know how to see us through matches.

I don't agree we've made good signings at all.  These guys are not going to be the additions required to push Celtic - way, way short of the quality required.

At the moment, with the exception of a keeper obviously, does anyone really think our starting line-up is going to look any different to last season?  I certainly don't and it is really concerning.

We need a big, commanding, no nonsense centre half (someone who can mark Taylor as well as the opposition.). We need a commanding centre midfielder.  I know these types don't grow on trees and we're likely to pay a wee bit more for them, but without either we will not be progressing. We need real leaders brought in, and they must be guys who know how to see us through matches.

I agree to a certain extent,  but the signings so far seem to be designed to address the squad depth issues we encountered at various points throughout last year.  Which I think they actually do, and that's a positive thing. We've got additional different options up front, a new number one and possibly the strongest back up goal keeper we've had in years and we've got cover on the right side of defense, all things that have been mentioned as issues at times last season.

McInnes has said he's not done yet and has also said he wants defenders and strength in the middle of the park so I fully expect that to be the next two issues addressed.  I'm also sure the signings there will be of a standard to improve the first 11 rather than squad depth.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the signings so far would be enough on their own, but it's certainly a promising start in my eyes though.

We've still got a week until the signing deadline for the 1st Europa league qualifiers too so I expect there to be more movement soon.

I think we've made good squad signings but I have to stress so far. We didn't have enough squad depth which cost us last year and that's being addressed. I know on paper means little but we've signed two keepers who've been in/around the international set up at u21 or full level, plus in Lewis with his age it's a potential keeper for years. Alexander is certainly an upgrade from Brown. I agree we need a central defender but defensively we were solid last year when we had Danny Ward, a good keeper improves your defense.

Morris is a replacement for Quinn. Hopefully McKenna is an addition at the back, Storie and Wright should further develop in midfield - what if any of them has an impact like Kieran Tierney at Celtic this past season? Storey gives us another wide player, and we've canned Goodwillie and replaced him with Shankland, Stockley, and Storey there too, maybe even Nuttall.

Any 'major' signing takes time as players are looking at options. Shinnie was the exception but I think it takes time to get quality in. I still think we add a central defender, central midfielder (Vaulks potentially does both there, plus possibly Bannigan), wide player (Nicholson?) and an attacking mid/forward (would love to get Andrew Shinnie.)

Time will tell but McInness said there'd be more signing action so we eagerly await.

There is also the possibility that Greg Tansey could come back on the scene? He would fit the bill as a strong central midfielder and could add goals from distance which we have been sadly lacking. (Only scored 2 or 3 goals from outside the box last year - Hayes against Celtic and a free kick I think.)

Tansey is a reasonably talented playmaker not a midfield enforcer. Draper would fit the mould a bit better but he's not a very good passer.  Said it before and I'll say it again, Jackson Irvine from county would be ideal and very possibly affordable. He's only got a year left on his deal after all.

Tansey is a reasonably talented playmaker not a midfield enforcer. Draper would fit the mould a bit better but he's not a very good passer.  Said it before and I'll say it again, Jackson Irvine from county would be ideal and very possibly affordable. He's only got a year left on his deal after all.

In fairness, you called Hayes years ago. I think you know your stuff  :thumbsup:

I'd like us to think a bit outside the box though, they're obvious signings and not 100% sure they'd be what we need.

He'd be a decent addition and the type of player we need but haven't county just rejected a decent sized bid from an English team?

I don't think there was any kind of formal approach but I could be wrong ED.

Thanks manc, I also called for signing Shinnie for the better part of two years and that worked out quite well too. Wasn't advocating a move for Draper, he's just not good enough imo, only included him as he is the cm at Inverness that fits what the mould. Irvine's contract can't be worth more than 100k at a push so 200kish would probably land him.