Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer News / Gossip

Any news of anyone else coming in? I still have my fingers crossed that we are looking at someone else....

I'm thinking McInnes is hoping that O'Connor is the answer at CB, but i'm still hoping we're looking at a CM.  I hate seeing Shinnie in midfield, ideally we need another one of him!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking McInnes is hoping that O'Connor is the answer at CB, but i'm still hoping we're looking at a CM.  I hate seeing Shinnie in midfield, ideally we need another one of him!

I really think that McInnes has Storie pencilled in for the CM position. It would be great if we had a  "marque" player coming in. But, I can't see that happening now.  :(

I think if Storie or O'Connor was the plan for CM we'd have seen them there by now. I think there's more chance of O'Connor replacing Taylor but I'm disappointed we haven't seen Storie yet. Think you put Storie in with Jack and you can put McLean back at attacking mid where he did well last year, or play 2 up top.

Storie isnt fit enough/strong enough nor in my opinion actually good enough

I'd agree with that, certainly at the moment anyway. Confident he'll develop but we've lost Robson and flood, not replaced them. Squad is still thin (apart from up top and possibly at the back). A few injuries and we're fucked again.

I really hope we at least get a CM player in and not some loan player form down south, actually part with some cash and get a player that will actually make a difference to the squad.

I think the lad O'Connor could do a good job in the holding midfield role but then we would lose him out of the defence.

DM's comments in the media about Shinnie and Jack forming a good partnership worry me. Does that mean that's how he intends playing this season? Think we miss out massively with Shinnie not being left back. Considine does a job there but doesn't provide as much going forward.

DM's comments in the media about Shinnie and Jack forming a good partnership worry me. Does that mean that's how he intends playing this season? Think we miss out massively with Shinnie not being left back. Considine does a job there but doesn't provide as much going forward.

Totally agree. Nothing against Considine but it is madness to sign the best left back in the country then not play him there. Really hope we are still looking for another central mid.

Andrew Shinnie linked with Hibs? Were we ever linked with him, thought he was a good player? An upgrade on McLean or Pawlett?

Think we've got the best Shinnie. Wasn't the case a few years back, but I think Andrew Shinnie's career has stalled a bit. I'd like to see us aim a bit higher. I still think we need a holding midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder. Shinnie and Jack were decent yesterday, but as other have said Shinnie in centre mid means no Shinnie out wide. If we'd had Shinnie at full back instead of what ended up being Reynolds for most of the game, we'd have won that.

Looks like we have knocked back a loan approach from Caley for Scott Wright.

Shame. Could see this turning into a Cammy Smith situation like. He'll sit on our bench for the next six months getting two minutes of game time here and there before being loaned out to a lower league team next season. Despite Smith performing well for the Arabs it seems, we'll learn nothing about him playing in that league and we'll get back a player who still isn't ready for our first team. If we could get Wright some SPL game time, then I think a 6 month loan would be very much in our interests. Maybe concerned that Foran might nail him in training.

Yeah I think if Wright is just going to sit on the fringes of our first team then a loan deal, especially at a club like Caley, would be good for him.

Also if the murmurs about us still looking at Greg Tansey are true then playing a little bit of ball with Caley could be good in the long run.

Well, window has been decent but all has dried up of late. DM said he wanted a bigger squad but that hasn't happened, plus I'm pretty sure he said way back after the last signing that he wasn't done. Perhaps Wright stays and plays wide allowing McGinn to be the flair in the middle of the park we are crying out for. When McGinn played centrally a few years back he had a very strong season. Maybe play off Rooney (or Stockley) with width from Wright, Hayes, Burns, or Storey, and the two deeper being Jack and Shinnie.

Smith, Robson, and Flood played 56 games between them lasy season, who is filling that void?

My fear is.....O'Connor will be the steel in the middle of midfield when Morris is fit and playing in the middle of defense.

Shinnie is like a new signing in midfield, that's his home now. Considine/Reynolds are like new signings too in their new home at left back.....

Shinnie isnt good enough nor robust enough for midfield he should be playing LB

Cant agree with the first part, he has been superb in centre midfield for us, the second part however is true but I think that will only happen again if we sign a new CM or if O'Connor gets pushed up to midfield.

As with every successful business, team or organisation, put the right people in the right places doing the right things.

It's really not rocket science.

Shinnie's performance levels in midfield shouldn't need to be discussed as it's obvious to any fucking idiot that LB is his best position. It's where can excels and the only excuse for not playing him there is critical injury cover, if our squad was so thin that we had to deploy him there where we get exposed for not having enough quality in the middle of the park.

Where McInnes does a really good impression of a fucking idiot was playing Shinnie there when he didn't have to. Fine if he recruited so poorly that he needed a temporary fix in an injury crisis but playing him out of his best position was madness and is madness. Maybe he thinks he's a managerial genius who's going to develop a world class midfielder out of him. History has shown some managers develop international class footballers in positions they originally weren't. Shinnie in midfield isn't one of them as any fucking idiot can see.

I am not disputing that Shinnie's best position in LB.

At the same time however I would rather have Shinnie - Jack at CM than McLean - Jack. Crag Storie should probably be getting a chance alongside Jack, that or when Morris is fit, he goes in to defence and O'Connor gets pushed up.

Or we do what we really need to do and sign a bloody CM  ;D

I am not disputing that Shinnie's best position in LB.

In this case, we agree.

At the same time however I would rather have Shinnie - Jack at CM than McLean - Jack. Crag Storie should probably be getting a chance alongside Jack, that or when Morris is fit, he goes in to defence and O'Connor gets pushed up.

Or we do what we really need to do and sign a bloody CM  ;D

Now you're talking about a completely different issue.

Kenny McLean started off brilliant with AFC but his performances have been deteriorating with gradual consistency to such a degree he's now next to useless. There will be reasons for this and it's up to the manager to sort it.

Just because one midfield player has turned rank rotten, this doesn't justify shuffling the back and weakening our strengths. Another - Hayes - being injured shouldn't mean a full blown crisis but with the shite we have in the squad, we can't cope with one injured and one out of form. That's shite management.

My fear is.....O'Connor will be the steel in the middle of midfield when Morris is fit and playing in the middle of defense.

At the same time however I would rather have Shinnie - Jack at CM than McLean - Jack. Crag Storie should probably be getting a chance alongside Jack, that or when Morris is fit

I don't believe Morris will be any more than a bit part player with us. He's a poor player from what I've seen and I expect him to be used only as cover for right back and centre back, would not envisage him playing any bigger role than that.

Apparently O'Connor is viewed as this summer's "big" signing. He was the one DM really wanted.

With Smith and Flood going out, you would have to assume another is coming in. Would be surprised if it was Tansey and a bit annoyed (if it was) that we didn't do the business sooner in this window after the palaver of January.

Shinnie has to be at left back - he's been decent in centre mid, no more than that.