Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer News / Gossip

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair to say O'Connor was signed as a centre mid. With Taylor, Reynolds, Considine, and the signing of Morris, plus McKenna etc, I think we've got depth there already. It's just we've been pish at the back that he put O'Connor there and it worked out. Hence the scramble/panic for another centre mid and the fact we've seen Shinnie playing there pretty much every game. Although, saying this, he is listed as a defender in the club website 1st team squad.

I think it's fair to say O'Connor was signed as a centre mid. With Taylor, Reynolds, Considine, and the signing of Morris, plus McKenna etc, I think we've got depth there already. It's just we've been pish at the back that he put O'Connor there and it worked out. Hence the scramble/panic for another centre mid and the fact we've seen Shinnie playing there pretty much every game. Although, saying this, he is listed as a defender in the club website 1st team squad.

I think o'connor states in his interview that his preferred position is centre half. I may be making that up but have a distinct memory that that was said.

Joys of drunken posting. Quite certain that he did say that in an early interview.

It's ok to be certain about something. It's ok to be not sure about something else.

It's just quite rare if not impossible to be either or about the same something.

Just make sure you're not infected by these truths;

Those who resent those who have conviction are weak.

No man ever achieved anything without conviction.

"A "No" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "Yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble".

Mahatma Gandhi.

It's ok to be certain about something. It's ok to be not sure about something else.

It's just quite rare if not impossible to be either or about the same something.

Just make sure you're not infected by these truths;

Those who resent those who have conviction are weak.

No man ever achieved anything without conviction.

"A "No" uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a "Yes" merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble".

Mahatma Gandhi.

Fuck me. Do you ever get tired of the sound of your own voice?

It's a real shame that your occasional gems of wisdom and insight get drowned out by such an avalanche of self indulgent derivative pish.

Fuck me. Do you ever get tired of the sound of your own voice?

It's a real shame that your occasional gems of wisdom and insight get drowned out by such an avalanche of self indulgent derivative pish.

You post once a month. I post a couple of dozen a week. If you have a problem with what I post, have the decency to specify but jumping with insults is hardly constructive. You don't have to read what I write, it's a conversation you're not involved in and given that you contribute fuck all to the site, I can't understand your anger. Are you frustrated or just a fucking retard? What shit are you carrying? Nobody gets tired of your voice. Voyeur.

Starting Saturday.

McInnes is happy to have a job. Who can blame him? Calderwood wasn't just happy to have a job, he couldn't believe how stupid we were to keep on paying him, as demand for his services before and after AFC proved. McInnes is given a budget and told not to exceed it. That's fine. That's what managers do, work within the limits that they're given. So either the budget he's given is adequate for the job and he's not very good or the budget is not big enough for the job.

So definition of what "the job" should be is now required.

If this is a squad and manager capable of competing for the title, I'm very wrong. For me the prospect of even being within 12 points of Celtic by the end of this calendar year, before the real business begins, is zero. Something has been going very wrong at AFC for decades. And the muppets refuse to believe it.

I suspect we'll do more business but it's going to be thereabouts deadline day if/when we do.  Going out of Europe diminished the appeal of the club and the budget for the season so it makes sense to sit back a little bit IMO.  The closer it is to the window the more it becomes a buyers market for clubs.  We have had some success with loanee's impressing in recent years and we may yet see one of decent pedigree come in on loan.

The window isn't over yet and bar the unseen morris all the summer business has actually looked pretty shrewd.  Lewis looks really solid and spritely from his line.  AOC is strolling games and looks our best defender since Anderson by a distance (funnily enough this has had a positive influence on Reynolds)  Burns looks great, same with Stockley and though theres not much game time with Storey it's looking pretty good so far.  We are just one really good centre mid away from being a really good side if you ask me. 

I think that's my biggest issue here tlg, and rocket touched upon it too. We're not far off but I'd argue probably another centre half and central midfielder off. We're close, which makes it all the more frustrating. We have a massive game on Saturday,  one which we should have a fully settled team for but I don't think we will. Our midfield is powder puff and putting players in positions they shouldn't be. I'm not sure the later in the window the better it is for buyers. We will end up with a loanee which i really don't want us to end up with.

The window isn't over yet and bar the unseen morris all the summer business has actually looked pretty shrewd.  Lewis looks really solid and spritely from his line.  AOC is strolling games and looks our best defender since Anderson by a distance (funnily enough this has had a positive influence on Reynolds)  Burns looks great, same with Stockley and though theres not much game time with Storey it's looking pretty good so far.  We are just one really good centre mid away from being a really good side if you ask me.

Reynolds got bullied on Saturday (again). He is still a problem regardless of AOC beside him, he just isn't as big a problem as the other galloot who'll no doubt be back in on Saturday.

Stockley I'm really not convinced about. probably isn't his fault that we hit high balls to him but I think he looks soft, which is ironic considering the amount of free kicks he gives away.

Storey has had a decent amount of game time - started two of the three league matches. He took his goal well on Saturday but I've not seen enough from him to suggest he is anywhere close to being an improvement on what we already have.

The lack of a new, first choice midfielder is alarming and makes me wonder what the fuck McInnes is seeing and what he's up to, generally. Flood and Smith gone out, no obvious midfielder in especially as AOC has to play at the back given the lack of quality there.  The need for a midfielder isn't news. It was a glaring, gaping hole in our squad even with Flood and Smith there. 

Our season started almost two months ago.  Get it sorted out McInnes.

Well, apologies for sounding like a broken record but with Jack injured and McLean off form, that gaping hole from the loss of Flood, Smith, and Robson is only getting bigger........WTF. Oh, and I believe Pawlett is injured too. While we've added some good players to the squad we've definitely weakened in centre mid.

We need 3 players IMHO

1. a new Brian Grant

2. a new Jim Bett

3. a new Willie Miller

Now I realize I'm living in the past here and undoubtedly we're unlikely to get that quality of player again these days, but these are the TYPES we need to round out the squad

I'd take another Grant, Simpson, or Cooper, and Doug Bell, Billy Stark or Bett. Please.

Well, apologies for sounding like a broken record but with Jack injured and McLean off form, that gaping hole from the loss of Flood, Smith, and Robson is only getting bigger........WTF. Oh, and I believe Pawlett is injured too. While we've added some good players to the squad we've definitely weakened in centre mid.

Don't think you're sounding like a broken record at all. As I said in the thread earlier this has been obvious from many a season now and for it not to have been addressed when we've essentially had the whole previous 2 transfer windows to sort out is criminal. Our midfield is powder puff. He said he wanted to increase the squad depth, we've neither done that nor increased the quality of it (in midfield).

I always thought he was best played as a defensive mid. The only real reservation I would have is that he was fairly injury prone the past few seasons. Not really the roberto bisconti type player I would ideally like the club to bring in but he can certainly pass a ball.

I always thought he was best played as a defensive mid. The only real reservation I would have is that he was fairly injury prone the past few seasons. Not really the roberto bisconti type player I would ideally like the club to bring in but he can certainly pass a ball.

I read on twitter somewhere he'd turned down £10k a week at the tims which I find hard to believe. I'd have serious reservations about him coming back. He burnt a lot of bridges when and since he left.

I read on twitter somewhere he'd turned down £10k a week at the tims which I find hard to believe. I'd have serious reservations about him coming back. He burnt a lot of bridges when and since he left.

Tru dat but he's better than what we currently have and we're starting to get to beggars can't be choosers territory. We all know how fickle football fans are, a few good performances and one of those free kicks would do a lot to shorten memory's.

Disclaimer, I say all this on the assumption he would predominantly play as a def mid.  If he was signed and started getting games at LB I would be fucking raging. 

10 k a week?  Surely not.  I wouldn't want to pay through the nose for him but if his terms were reasonable it has potential to be a good move. 

Has anyone heard anything about us making an offer to Mulgrew? Would it be a good move?

I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. For many reasons, the biggest one being that his best days are behind him and even then he wasn't good enough. Played his best football the season after he left us and performed much better than I thought him capable so add short-changed us to the long list.

It would be worse than Jackie Macnamara or however the fuck he spells the name I try to eradicate from my memory.