Today's P & J - Injury crisis and Scott Wilson

DONS' SCOTTISH CUP INJURY CRISIS

Aberdeen go into tonight's Scottish Cup tie against Falkirk at Pittodrie with half their team ruled out in an injury crisis.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood is faced with having to make more changes to his side for the fourth round replay against Falkirk.

He is without six players due to injury or illness and new signing Stuart Duff is ineligible.

Richie Byrne has suffered a recurrence of the hamstring injury which kept him out of the side for almost a year, while Karim Touzani, Richard Foster and Michael Hart are also injured.

Lee Mair is ill, while forward Darren Mackie, who made his comeback in the 3-0 defeat by Dundee United at Tannadice on Saturday, is also out of the game following a training ground injury yesterday.

Calderwood said: "I have had to change my back four every game for the last six weeks due to illness or injury and it shows no signs of getting better.

"Touzani may be back on Saturday, while Mackie took a knock in training which, hopefully, won't be too bad. We don't know how long Byrne will be out for as he has injured his hamstring.

"It is the same one which kept him out for a long time but he came off the field in time so, hopefully, it will not be too serious.

"I would have liked to freshen up the team for the game but I can't do that now. I don't think I have played the same back four all season."

Calderwood was still clearly irked by the performance of his players against United and he has urged his senior players to lead by example against John Hughes's side tonight.

He said: "There is a fear factor where players don't want the ball if there is an opponent within 10 yards of them.

"As a whole, the team is averaging five or six out of 10 and we need sevens or eights if we want to win games.

"When you lose games you feel tired and it is up to the players to lift themselves for this game as it is an important one for us.

"We have to talk to each other and sort it out on the field. The senior players have got to take control of the situation on the pitch.

"The fans have every right to be disappointed with the performance on Saturday as they went to Tannadice with the same optimism I had and the players didn't perform."

Meanwhile, the club has confirmed all fans who applied for tickets for the away leg of the Uefa Cup tie with Bayern Munich have been successful.

Season ticket holders and shareholders entered a ballot to see the February 21 game in Germany. There will now be a ballot for the general sale of the remaining tickets and anyone wishing to apply should return their forms, which are available from the ticket office or at www.afc.co.uk by Friday.

DONS SCARED OFF BY PRICE TAG ON DUNFERMLINE DEFENDER WILSON

Aberdeen have abandoned a move to bring Dunfermline defender Scott Wilson to Pittodrie.

The Press and Journal can reveal the Dons expressed an interest in signing the former Rangers central defender but were unwilling to meet the First Division side's valuation of Wilson, who signed a new two-year contract with the Pars last summer.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood said: "We did make an inquiry for theplayer but a move will not be happening."

Pars manager Jim McIntyre is keen to keep the player at East End Park.

He said: "I can understand it if Aberdeen were interested in Scott - he's one of my best players and is still a valuable member of my squad."

Meanwhile, Preston will conduct their own medical checks before deciding whether to sign Michael Hart during the January transfer window.

The Dons defender hasalready signed a pre-contract deal to join the English side in the summer but the Pittodrie club is keen to recoup some money by selling him now.

A deal for the Aberdeen vice-captain will hinge on Preston's verdict on theinjury to Hart's hip and back which is keeping him sidelined at present.

Preston chairman Derek Shaw said: "Michael will be coming down.

"We are very pleased that Aberdeen have consented to our medical team to have a look at the injury."

1.  Tonight should be a laugh.  I would propose we go 3 at the back, given our lack of defenders avaliable.  Something like this:

----------------------Langfield-------------------

Considine-------------Diamond---------Macnamara

De Visscher---Nicholson------Seve----------Aluko

-----------------------Smith---------------------

-----------Miller----------------Lovell-------------

2. Is Jimmy Calderwood incapable of looking past "local lads who are out of contract" or players he's managed in the past when it comes to transfer targets. 

We need an experienced center half, but does Jimmy have to be so short fucking sighted?!!?!

I laughed when Dundee United brought in Darren Dods, but in hindsight, we've been crying out for someone like that to play alongside Diamond this season.

1.  Tonight should be a laugh.  I would propose we go 3 at the back, given our lack of defenders avaliable.  Something like this:

----------------------Langfield-------------------

Considine-------------Diamond---------Macnamara

De Visscher---Nicholson------Seve----------Aluko

-----------------------Smith---------------------

-----------Miller----------------Lovell-------------

2. Is Jimmy Calderwood incapable of looking past "local lads who are out of contract" or players he's managed in the past when it comes to transfer targets. 

We need an experienced center half, but does Jimmy have to be so short fucking sighted?!!?!

I laughed when Dundee United brought in Darren Dods, but in hindsight, we've been crying out for someone like that to play alongside Diamond this season.

Maybe Severin at centre half with Diamond, Smith moving into centre midfield? Hope De Visscher does start though.

Scott Wilson is a hideous player. It's at times like this I'm thankful we're skint.  ;)

What the fuck is going on at Pittodrie  ???

In thirty five years of following the good ship AFC, I don't think I can ever remember a season where we have had so many players missing week after week after week.

I'm almost starting to feel sorry for Calderwood.

Just an idea for tonight, why not focus on our attacking options and have a right good go at with all out attack. adopt the keegan tactics of his previous Newcastle days i.e. you score three, we score four ;)

Scott Wilson is an absolute cretin, I had the misfortune of meeting him once and would be delighted if our paths never cross again.

Many years ago in Prague Jamie Buchan (then an Aberdeen player) got badly injured playing for the Scotland under 21 side.  Myself and some other concerned dandies met Wilson (also playing for the U21's) in a bar and asked about Jamies injury, only for the (very) drunk Wilson to push past us and ignore the question.  He's a typical hun ned.  And he's shite.  Please Jimmy, don't even try to sign this fecker.

Just an idea for tonight, why not focus on our attacking options and have a right good go at with all out attack.

Given our defensive options, i don't think we have much choice.

Also, it's easy to see how much pish the P & J talk - since when has having Byrne, Mair, and Duff out constitute a "crisis".  "Blessing in disguise" would have been a better headline.

I agree that it's unlikely that Lovell will start but if it was my choice he would.  Maguire will probably start alongside Miller... ::)

And yes, i sincerely hope De Visscher is in tonights starting eleven. 

No, what I meant is we may play one up front tonight: the infamous 4-5-1 which we do not play well at. At least Miller can hold the ball up!

If we play one up front tonight then I'll be taking another step towards the JMG crowd (assuming we get beat of course).

And to be honest, given the lack of options in the squad, there may be a chance that he'll get a game.

What the hell was Jimmy thinking playing Lovell up front by himself on Saturday?  Sweet fucking christ.

One thing's for sure, if the likes of JDV doesn't get a game tonight then you've got to ask if he's ever going to.

Is Desperate Dan Smith still on the books?

Maybe he's worth a run out at the back?

And by a similar token, if JDV doesn't get a game tonight then you've got to ask why the fuck was he signed in the first place?  From what I've seen of him I'd have him playing for us most weeks, perhaps not always away from home but definately at Pittodrie where we should be on the front foot most of the time. I know he lacks pace, but he looks as though he has a football brain and the talent to go with this. He knows how to keep possession and he is always looking for the ball. Criminally, we don't have anyone else like him.

Desperate Dan is still with us I believe...that flushing sound you hear is his career going down the toilet.

And by a similar token, if JDV doesn't get a game tonight then you've got to ask why the fuck was he signed in the first place?  From what I've seen of him I'd have him playing for us most weeks, perhaps not always away from home but definately at Pittodrie where we should be on the front foot most of the time. I know he lacks pace, but he looks as though he has a football brain and the talent to go with this. He knows how to keep possession and he is always looking for the ball. Criminally, we don't have anyone else like him.

The guy can pick a pass, that's for sure.  Christiano Ronaldo he aint, but he cartaily provides us with a good option on the right side of midfield.

However, Jimmy's preference of playing headless chickens like Young and Clark has been his biggest blocker from getting a starting place.

I saw Scott Wilson play for Dunfermline in the Uefa Cup against that swedish mob, He was horrific, an awful performance from a shite player. The 2 Jimmys were also there as I saw them outside East end Park, so Maybe they shut their eyes whenever he was near the ball because anyone who knows anything about football would have known that Scott Wilson was a terrible player from that performance.

Thank god Dunfermline are being stupid and asking for money for this waste of space.

His goal was for nothing - Partick beat them 2-1.

And, after Thistle had two goals chopped off for infringements, Buchanan pounced to score three minutes from time following intense pressure.

Dunfermline are a bit rubbish by the sounds of things...beat Rangers in this round last year didn't they? Out to Partick this year!