Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Peter Swanson - The Kind Worth Killing

Man and woman get chatting whilst in the bar at Heathrow waiting for a transatlantic flight, share secrets about their lives and set in motion a sequence of events ending in murder. Each chapter is written from the point of view of one of the characters and really liked this style. Loads of turns and twists. If you like criminal thrillers then this is for you. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Mercedes was ok, no better, no worse than ok

Started "The Narrow Road To The Deep North" by Richard Flanagan which won The Man Booker Prize in 2014.

About one hundred pages into it and got to say I am struggling to really get into it. Not saying it's a bad book, maybe just the right one for me.

Mr Mercedes was ok, no better, no worse than ok

Started "The Narrow Road To The Deep North" by Richard Flanagan which won The Man Booker Prize in 2014.

About one hundred pages into it and got to say I am struggling to really get into it. Not saying it's a bad book, maybe just the right one for me.

I always struggle with Man Booker Prize winners and actually avoid them now - something about them being too descriptive without getting to the point puts me off tho I did read The Luminaries recently which I enjoyed

I'm reading Fourth of July Creek but swithering about ditching it - not got into it at all and the last chapter described a teenager arousing a dog which made me feel ever so slightly queasy - yuck  :o

• 1 month later...

I've finished Martin Fletcher's book about the Bradford fire, really interesting and compelling stuff.  Clearly the initial inquiry was far too hasty and narrow in it's scope.

I had no idea Fletcher was also present at Hillsborough.  That's mental that he witnessed both!

Finders keepers is out now, Stephen king. in the same timeline as mr mercedes and some characters reappear especially Brady Hartfield.

Will give that one a look mate  :thumbsup:

Reading "The Dolls House" by David Hewson just now. Set in Amsterdam and a cracking read.

On separate issue, just wondering if anyone else has ditched their e reader and gone back to buying paperbacks also ?

• 2 weeks later...

"The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair"by Joel Dicker

600+ pages and absolutely superb, brilliantly written and loved it

Hebrew - Reckon this would be one for you. Check it out

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Truth-about-Harry-Quebert-Affair/dp/1848663269/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435735794&sr=1-1&keywords=joel+dicker+the+truth+about+the+harry+quebert+affair

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of books came today.

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison & The Unknown Terrorist by Richard Flanagan.

Ony o you guys read these two authors?

Like the look of The Unknown Terrorist and might give that a go.

Only thing putting me of it is that I bought one of Flanagan,s other books "The Narrow Road To The Deep North" and frankly just couldn't get into it and gave up before I was half way through it.

• 2 months later...

Stuart Cosgrove's Detroit 67 is superb if your into soul music and social/political movements of the sixties.

It's dense like, encyclopaedic in scope and likely to veer down wee avenues but the narrative is pushed on chronicling a year in the life of Motown.

It's nae really light reading though and I'd say you really do need an interest in the music of that era to get through it but it's the best thing I've read this year by some distance.

I really like Cosgrove. One of few folk on Radio Scotland worth listening to.

Recently read a book called Armada, it's Earnest Cline's follow up to the much vaunted ready player one (which is great btw if your like that sort of thing). It's a decent enough sci fi read that doesn't reach the heights of rp1 but leaves plenty of room for sequels that could. I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes it.

I've just started Nemesis by Philip Roth. Probably his latest novel as written in 2010.

Not a book I necessarily recommend (yet, as it's a pretty harrowing subject matter and without his usual excellent humour thus far) but he is a brilliant must-read author. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 1997.

Edit: finished it tonight. Definitely NOT a book I recommend!

Weird one. Troubling. Sad. Not an enjoyable experience at all.

This reminds me when I first started exploring his books. Some great but some not so good.

I reckon he's bi-polar.

I've just started Nemesis by Philip Roth. Probably his latest novel as written in 2010.

Not a book I necessarily recommend (yet, as it's a pretty harrowing subject matter and without his usual excellent humour thus far) but he is a brilliant must-read author. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 1997.

Edit: finished it tonight. Definitely NOT a book I recommend!

Weird one. Troubling. Sad. Not an enjoyable experience at all.

This reminds me when I first started exploring his books. Some great but some not so good.

I reckon he's bi-polar.

Think I've only read one of Roth's books, "The Plot Against America" and that was several years ago.

Not really sure why I never sent back to read any more as it was a pretty decent read.

Might check out some others on Amazon, but will take your council RS and give that one a miss.

Council? Do I come across as a committee man?

I would counsel you to read more books to improve your linguistic abilities ?

I've got I Married A Communist in the house but his award winning American Pastoral is great.

Could blame predictive text, but what the fuck, I 'm just a thick cunt  ;)