Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Currently reading 'The Driver's Seat' by Muriel Spark. Only ever read 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' by her before so wasn't sure what to expect. So far I'm enjoying it though.

Recently finished a couple of Sherlock Holmes novels, which are always entertaining.

Have a lot of books downloaded onto my Kindle that I'm planning on reading, from James Bond to 'Mortality' by Christopher Hitchens.

Just finished the new Stuart MacBride book Close to the bone.

Continuing the Logan MacRae series, it was certainly as enjoyable as the rest of his books.

I rattled through the first 5 (6?) of these in about a day each on my e-reader. Really enjoyed them, probably for visualising the locations as for the plots.

Finished El Clasico by Richard Fitzpatrick. Pretty interesting and gives you a stronger understanding of why they hate each other so much!

Just started this - http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Alex-Ferguson-A-Light-in-the-North-Seven-Years-with-Aberdeen-SIGNED-1st-1st-/00/s/NzI4WDUxNg==/$(KGrHqF,!iUE7F1g)dRuBOy-6Fjwe!~~60_35.JPG

:thumbsup:

I'd never heard of it before!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Read three books while on holiday in Alcudia:

David Walsh - Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Deadly-Sins-Pursuit-Armstrong/dp/1471127532

Fascinating account by the journalist David Walsh and his pursuit of the truth behind Lance Armstrong's Tour De France wins.  He was on to him straight away in 1999 and I thought the book was an excellent read, and a real eye opener.

Victoria Pendleton - Between the Lines

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007327528

Nothing ground breaking but a decent read.

John Niven - The Second Coming

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Second-Coming-John-Niven/dp/0099535521

If you want to read a very funny book ripping the piss out of religion and the X Factor-culture then this is it.  Some of it was genuine LOL stuff.  I can't imagine what those numpties who were up in arms at Life of Brian would make of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speak-Swahili-Dammit-James-Penhaligon/dp/0956890210/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369064704&sr=1-1&keywords=speak+swahili+dammit

Speak Swahili Dammit: Read this on holiday, cracking story of a young boy's life growing up in Africa in the 50's and early 60's

Moved on to this now, started promising but early days yet.

The Magpies: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magpies-Psychological-Thriller-ebook/dp/B00BY447AA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1369064806&sr=1-1&keywords=the+magpies+mark+edwards

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Last-Crusade-Voyages-ebook/dp/B007ZC23HO/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

"In 1498 a young captain sailed from Portugal, circumnavigated Africa, crossed the Indian Ocean, and discovered the sea route to the Indies, opening up access to the fabled wealth of the East. It was the longest voyage known to history; the ships were pushed to their limits, their crews were racked by storms and devastated by disease. However, the greatest enemy was neither nature nor the fear of venturing into unknown worlds. With blood-red Crusader crosses emblazoned on their sails, the explorers arrived in the heart of the Muslim East at a time when the old hostilities between Christianity and Islam had intensified. In two voyages that spanned six years, Vasco da Gama would fight a running sea battle that would ultimately change the fate of three continents. The Last Crusade is an epic tale of spies, intrigue, and treachery; of bravado, brinkmanship, and confused - often comical collisions - between cultures encountering one another for the first time. With the world once again tipping back East, The Last Crusade offers a key to understanding age-old religious and cultural rivalries resurgent today." 

Seems really relevant currently with all current religous conflict in today's world. Although I studied history at school (ages ago) I don't really remember too much about the crusades and certainly didn't remember that in the early to mid centuries of the last millenium Europe was mostly Islamic. Anyway just about a quarter of the way through but a good read so far. 

• 1 month later...

Reading On fire with Fergie, a good read and brining back some good memories. The author is not much older than me and was at a lot of the same games as me and travelled from outside Aberdeen like me, so am finding a lot of comparisons between me and the author.

• 1 month later...

Far too many to mention on here since I last posted, but just finished "Burning Our Money"

Regardless of your political perssuasion a bit of an eye opener as to just how much of our taxes are completely and totally wasted by government and the public sector.

Moved onto "Racing Through The Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar"

I think I've just about read through all James Patterson's back catalogue now, at about one a day. Easy, simple reading, but still fun. Currently about to start working through some more Michael Crichton, wonderful things ebooks, finish one just buy another without having to leave my seat!

Agree about the James Patterson books...very easy and quick read :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Read the latest Stuart MacBride book.

Can't really say that I overly enjoyed it.

Think there is getting too much of a sameness about them now.

The one liners from DCI Steele etc are just getting repetitive.

Maybe just me, maybe others think differently, but I won't be rushing to read the next one.

Now moved on to J K Rowling " The Casual Vacancy". Never read any the Harry Potter books, but knowing what I know about them, there is something weird about reading some of the language she uses in this.

Maybe just me, maybe others think differently, but I won't be rushing to read the next one.

Not read it yet but DCI Steele was beginning to grate about 3 books ago (at least).

Currently reading David Mitchell's autobiography.  It's nothing startling!

Now moved on to J K Rowling " The Casual Vacancy". Never read any the Harry Potter books, but knowing what I know about them, there is something weird about reading some of the language she uses in this.

Shame on you  ;) I think the Casual Vacancy sounds rubbish!!

I'm reading The Psychopath Test alt=The Psychopath Testhttp://www.waterstones.com/wat/images/nbd/s/978033/049/9780330492270.jpg[/img] and really enjoying it, gonna read my next Game of Thrones when I finish