Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

Catch 22 is a great book.

Ewan McGregor on Norton just now. He directed American Pastoral, the book by Philip Roth. Norton showed his ignorance by sarcastically saying "everyone will have read it". Well I have and Roth is one of the best American authors, very funny at times. Recommend this writer to anyone who doesn't know him.

I've nae read it, but I have read "The Plot Against America" about an alternative American history (which fits nicely into the Fatherland discussion above) where Lindbergh became President instead of Roosevelt. Very Jew-based, but great book.

I read a book a year or so, about Alistair Urquhart, who was interned in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.

I was saddened to see that he past away at the age of 97.

He joined the Gordon Highlanders in Aberdeen at the start of the WW2. The experiences he went through were just shocking.He was only 10 miles away from Nagasaki when they dropped the bomb......

It's well worth a read. It's called " The forgotten Highlander"                           

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Urquhart

I read a book a year or so, about Alistair Urquhart, who was interned in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.

He joined the Gordon Highlanders in Aberdeen at the start of the WW2. The experiences he went through were just shocking.He was only 10 miles away from Nagasaki when they dropped the bomb......

Aye, really good read, although fucking being one of his mates, they all got malkied pretty much, we had him at a function a couple of years back for a presentation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to reading the last Stuart McBride book, number ten in the Logan McRae series.

Two thirds through and got to say that this is the best one for sometime.

Only started reading it because I had read all nine others.

Pleased to say that McBride is back on form :thumbsup:

Finally got around to reading the last Stuart McBride book, number ten in the Logan McRae series.

Two thirds through and got to say that this is the best one for sometime.

Only started reading it because I had read all nine others.

Pleased to say that McBride is back on form :thumbsup:

It's a cracker, think I'd read it within a week of it's release. Enjoy!  :thumbsup:

He's got a stand alone novel due for release this year too, here's hoping it's as good as the Ash Henderson series.

Currently reading the Lewis Man by Peter May, it's the second in the series and it's alright... still getting in to it though so could turn out to be really good.

It's a cracker, think I'd read it within a week of it's release. Enjoy!  :thumbsup:

He's got a stand alone novel due for release this year too, here's hoping it's as good as the Ash Henderson series.

Currently reading the Lewis Man by Peter May, it's the second in the series and it's alright... still getting in to it though so could turn out to be really good.

Read The Balck House by Peter May (first in the series) when it was first published.

Got numerous positive reviews, but to be honest it just didn't grab me and haven't gone back to read the others in the series as a result.

Read The Balck House by Peter May (first in the series) when it was first published.

Got numerous positive reviews, but to be honest it just didn't grab me and haven't gone back to read the others in the series as a result.

To be honest I didn't get all that in to the black house, read it after the mrs recommended it and it was alright (guessed who done it early on, if not the reason...). I started the second one on the train this week mainly because I didn't have anything else to fill the time, feel like I've got to finish it now although it is shaping up to be better than the previous book. wish I'd planned ahead as I've got the latest Rebus next in the reading pile.

Just read this book over the Christmas period, well worth reading and shocking the treatment that these guys went through, the author still couldn't eat properly to the day he died due to the miniscule rations of rice they were given to eat.

Understandable how a lot of the guys that survived from the far east could never forgive the Japanese for the way they were treated.

Got an interest in all things WW2, anybody got any other good recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this book over the Christmas period, well worth reading and shocking the treatment that these guys went through, the author still couldn't eat properly to the day he died due to the miniscule rations of rice they were given to eat.

Understandable how a lot of the guys that survived from the far east could never forgive the Japanese for the way they were treated.

Got an interest in all things WW2, anybody got any other good recommendations.

If you like WW2 books I recommend "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. He wrote it while fighting in the pacific. A very honest perspective of the fighting that went on.

I'm reading I Love Dick at the moment - described as "the most important book written about men & women in the last century" - I'm finding it dull and skimming a bit already, possibly cause I have another 5 books waiting to be read!!

Sorry missus but in typical schoolboy humour that raised a little titter with me ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pitch Black - A book about black footballers in the UK. Pretty harrowing stuff reading about black players breaking through during the 70s and 80s and their experiences in the game, from their own supporters, team mates and opposition supporters and lets not forget the police and politicians.

Thankfully, although far from perfect, things have moved on a lot since then.