Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

It should be illegal. With the further deteriorating of intellectual property rights because people can't be fucked to pay £7-8 for books, cds or films these things will just stop being made. We will start to see a world where, because of theft, there will be too small an incentive so the inventors and creators disappear. When the arts have gone I hope you glad you saved a few quid on not buying that book or cd.

Also when do I stop becoming "young Andrew". I've been posting on here for five years now and I still have not shrugged off that label. :(

Aw that made me giggle - you are still just a baby are you not  ;D

Aw that made me giggle - you are still just a baby are you not  ;D

I'm 22. I think part of the problem is for the last 2 years or so 80% of my posts are when drunk and they make me look pretty thick and weird. However posting when sober probably has the same problem.

Also when do I stop becoming "young Andrew". I've been posting on here for five years now and I still have not shrugged off that label.

Ah young Andrew, the "young" part is not meant offensively in the slightest.

You need to put things into context though, even though you will not be as young now as when you started posting on here, you could be posting on here for another ten years and you'll still be young in relation to folk like myself.

Take the "young" part as a compliment not a criticism.  :thumbsup:

It should be illegal. With the further deteriorating of intellectual property rights because people can't be fucked to pay £7-8 for books, cds or films these things will just stop being made. We will start to see a world where, because of theft, there will be too small an incentive so the inventors and creators disappear. When the arts have gone I hope you glad you saved a few quid on not buying that book or cd.

Also when do I stop becoming "young Andrew". I've been posting on here for five years now and I still have not shrugged off that label. :(

This is the biggest pile of bullshit.  Game of Thrones has been the most illegally watched tv show of all time but it's STILL making a shitload for HBO and is in no threat of cancellation.  Also I bet you have borrowed a book or a dvd from friends before .  You didn't pay for it yet had the experience this provided.  This is no different.

This is the biggest pile of bullshit.  Game of Thrones has been the most illegally watched tv show of all time but it's STILL making a shitload for HBO and is in no threat of cancellation.  Also I bet you have borrowed a book or a dvd from friends before .  You didn't pay for it yet had the experience this provided.  This is no different.

Games of thrones and HBO are huge so they can still make money. But piracy has affected shows like this as they rely more on product placement and other means of revenue but piracy affects smaller businesses more because the profit they can generate is less.

And borrowing something from someone who has originally bought the asset is fair game as they can do what they want with it. A better analogy would be me putting up a cherry picker behind the south stand to watch the football and letting everyone in for free. If anyone questions me I'd just point towards Aberdeen's £8m turnover and say fuck em, then come onto forums and arrogantly back up my decision to get out of paying a few quid.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew , when I was growing up we had VHS and Tape machines. We would tape music from the radio and If you had a midi system you could tape tapes and LP's. We taped programs from the TV all the time on the old VHS. Everyone did this. None of the music company's or TV company's complained back then. Tell me what the difference is?

Andrew , when I was growing up we had VHS and Tape machines. We would tape music from the radio and If you had a midi system you could tape tapes and LP's. We taped programs from the TV all the time on the old VHS. Everyone did this. None of the music company's or TV company's complained back then. Tell me what the difference is?

This happened about 10/15 years ago, I remember - I am not that young anymore! But, I am no expert in piracy and the way it affects the entertainment business, but I am guessing there are two differences...

1. The scale between a few folk bothering to tape things off the radio and tv compared to millions watching things for free on the internet is pretty big and...

2. If you were to tape something off the tv or radio then your still having to tune into the tv/radio station which is a source of revenue. Internet piracy only provides revenue for the website via adverts so they are freerolling the work of others

Anyway I don't really care if people pirate or not in the same way that I don't particularly care if someone steals something from a shop. It's the arrogance by which people do it that annoys me. Stealing intellectual property rights should be thought of as the same as stealing assets but it's not. If I create something, a book, painting, film etc. why should you, or anyone else, be allowed to view it without giving the owner compensation? No one has answered that.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a copy of Duncan Shearer's book for my kindle ( Fear not Andrew, I paid for it via amazon, albeit at something like £1.49 or so ).

Pretty much half way through it and can't say its exactly the most enthrawling book I've ever read.... in fact it is pretty poor, littered with spelling and gramatical errors and doesn't look as if it has been proof read pre publication.

Didn't remember the sotry about Inglis battering Deano whilst he was lying on the treatment table at Pittodrie, although it may well be that the club managed to keep a tin lid on it back then.

I completely forgot to reply to this, apologies. 

Games of thrones and HBO are huge so they can still make money. But piracy has affected shows like this as they rely more on product placement and other means of revenue but piracy affects smaller businesses more because the profit they can generate is less.

Ah so that's why there was a Starbucks and an Apple store in the background when Ned Stark had his head cut off in Kings landing, I had thought that was weird at the time....... turns out it's those pesky pirates fault.  :hammer:As for smaller budget/indie/unknown films, tv etc isn't it logical they would want to have as much exposure as possible?  Ultimately if it's any good people will talk about it leading to more people to wanting to watch it and the next thing you know it's on netflix.  Regardless of record levels of piracy movies are taking in record amounts at box offices around the world and that's not going to change anytime soon.

And borrowing something from someone who has originally bought the asset is fair game as they can do what they want with it.

And some people choose to put it up on the internet for others to use. 

A better analogy would be me putting up a cherry picker behind the south stand to watch the football and letting everyone in for free. If anyone questions me I'd just point towards Aberdeen's £8m turnover and say fuck em, then come onto forums and arrogantly back up my decision to get out of paying a few quid.

That's not a better analogy its just plain fucking retarded.  1.  The cherry picker is going to cost you a lot more than a match ticket so you would not save a few quid.  2 you are not going to get many people on the raised platform of a cherry picker so the club is not going to feel the pinch that way and 3.  the cops would move you on before the game even kicked off. 

Piracy has existed for a very long time now and the film and music industries are not collapsing. My argument stands, if you have read a book, watched a film, played a video game that you have not actually bought yourself then you have had the experience for free and are no different from someone streaming the latest episode of any tv show online. 

I completely forgot to reply to this, apologies. 

Ah so that's why there was a Starbucks and an Apple store in the background when Ned Stark had his head cut off in Kings landing, I had thought that was weird at the time....... turns out it's those pesky pirates fault.  :hammer:As for smaller budget/indie/unknown films, tv etc isn't it logical they would want to have as much exposure as possible?  Ultimately if it's any good people will talk about it leading to more people to wanting to watch it and the next thing you know it's on netflix.  Regardless of record levels of piracy movies are taking in record amounts at box offices around the world and that's not going to change anytime soon. And some people choose to put it up on the internet for others to use. 

That's not a better analogy its just plain fucking retarded.  1.  The cherry picker is going to cost you a lot more than a match ticket so you would not save a few quid.  2 you are not going to get many people on the raised platform of a cherry picker so the club is not going to feel the pinch that way and 3.  the cops would move you on before the game even kicked off. 

Piracy has existed for a very long time now and the film and music industries are not collapsing. My argument stands, if you have read a book, watched a film, played a video game that you have not actually bought yourself then you have had the experience for free and are no different from someone streaming the latest episode of any tv show online. 

But it is still theft. It doesn't matter if it affects tv companies or not it is theft. It is not the same as sharing a book or dvd as you have paid for the right to lend or sell that asset, you are not recreating the asset and then passing it on.

I still don't understand why stealing intellectual property rights is different from stealing from a shop? The affects of the theft should make no difference to the morality of it. I am sure Sainsburys can afford me stealing my weekly shop instead of paying for it but it does not make it morally right. If a lot of people stole from Sainsburys they might become more popular though which would be a bonus! And I don't understand why you mention netflix as it is the opposite of piracy? People who subscribe to netflix, like me :) , contribute to the film industry by paying for the service instead of getting it online for free. 

Anyway I am arguing about the morality of stealing rather than the cons or benefits of it. I don't care if there are not many effects of piracy(which I dispute but can't be bothered looking into as trying to finish off my essay/can't be fucked looking into) the truth is that it is theft be it tangible or intangible assets.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lennox-Craig-Russell/dp/1847249671/ref=pd_cp_b_2

Absolutely superb, great find.

Wasn't aware of this series of books, of which "Lennox" is number one in a collection.

Set in post WW2, Glasgow of the early 50's, I can't help but think there is a TV mini series in here somewhere.

Got shit loads of time on my hands these days, so after finishing the first, got the other three for the kindle and rattled through them pdq.

Funster, strongly recommend for you, as just the sort of thing I believe you liike reading mate  :thumbsup:

P.S Make sure you read in correct order  ;)

Re-reading the book i did for standard grade english.  Its called the north runner by R D Lawrence and it's the true story of one man and his half wolf sled dog in 1950's canada. It's a really good read and having not read it in the better part of twenty years I'm really enjoying it.

I am now reading Shantaram and apparently it is going to be the best book I will ever ever read

Tiny writing and 933 pages so I could be a while  :o

Keep up missus  ;)

Let me know what you thought of it.

Away on holiday on Wed, and just started my holiday read yesterday.

"Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts described by the Daily Telegragh as a "literay masterpiece" and early impressions are they're not wrong.

Tells the story of a convicted Australian armed robber and heroin addicts escape to India, where he lived in a Bombay slum. where he established a free health clinic and joined the Mafia, working as a money launderer, forger and street solidier. He found time to learn Hindi & Marathi, act in Bollywood and fought with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan. Book runs to over 900 pages and ought to keep me entertained lying in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...