Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

• 3 months later...

BigAl, have you started the second book by Walter Lucius yet? Downloaded it last night but need to reread the last few chapters of the first to remember what happened!  :thumbsup:

Al, no need to read the last few chapters of the old one, new one starts with two chapters of catch up, albeit from a slightly different angle.

BigAl, have you started the second book by Walter Lucius yet? Downloaded it last night but need to reread the last few chapters of the first to remember what happened!  :thumbsup:

Al, no need to read the last few chapters of the old one, new one starts with two chapters of catch up, albeit from a slightly different angle.

I have it on the kindle. Might not get to it until late August when I'm away on holiday.

Have loads of books waiting to be read, many of which are ARC's as I get sent advance copies for review purposes.

I have it on the kindle. Might not get to it until late August when I'm away on holiday.

Have loads of books waiting to be read, many of which are ARC's as I get sent advance copies for review purposes.

Thoroughly enjoying it, you’ll smash it. Nearly done myself. The only annoyance is I’m guessing we’ll have to wait another year for the final one!

RIP Philip Roth, died today aged 85.

When I first went to Aberdeen Central Library, I would take books at random off the shelves. I picked one by Roth and thereafter devoured everything they had of his, as I did with other writers I enjoyed. I was too young to get all his nuances and meanings at first but he stayed with me in life as a favourite writer.

Most on here will never have read him of course and most teenagers have a literary breadth narrower than a ba hair but they don't make many like that any more. Great man.

Have you read "The Plot Against America"?

A good read like. Surprised there's not been a film of it like, as it'd fit well in cinema format. Not read American Pastoral, will maybe make a space for it on the kindle at some point.

I've not read that one but will be doing so. His death has reminded me that I've not read everything he's written.

American Pastoral was on my bookshelves for many years but a cursory glance and I don't see it. Someone must have "borrowed" it. Aye, it is a good read.

Some of Roth's books, probably more than half in my opinion aren't brilliant but some are definitely. The one thing I never found after reading him was well that was a waste of time. I Married a Communist is the only Roth I came across on my shelves just now but I know I have others somewhere, or at least I did have.

Gore Vidal and John Updike were other Americans I never liked EVERYTHING they wrote, totally different genres of course but I preferred the humour you get with Roth. I guess we have to plough through much shit to find the flowers and whilst I don't consider any of Roth's writings as "shit", he was never a 100% hit rate for me. Neither was Hemingway too I guess and like those three, did produce some outstanding literature.

the only Roth I came across on my shelves just now but I know I have others somewhere, or at least I did have.

If they're anything like the cheap-shite Roth I picked up at the airport, they'll be missing many pages, which just seemed to fall out at will. Annoying as fuck like, and one of the reasons I use a kindle these days as it happened to quite a few books I bought in succession. The plot against america definitely worth a read like, even just from the (un)historical perspective. It's an alternative history of course, but it's believable.

Read The Sellout by Paul Beatty first though. It's imperative that someone other than me does.

Have you read "The Plot Against America"?

A good read like. Surprised there's not been a film of it like, as it'd fit well in cinema format. Not read American Pastoral, will maybe make a space for it on the kindle at some point.

Read it a number of years ago.

Extremely thought provoking with strong characters

All round a mighty fine and enjoyable read.

Somewhat surprisingly the only Philip Roth book I have actually read. Need to rectify that.

• 3 months later...

"The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair"by Joel Dicker

600+ pages and absolutely superb, brilliantly written and loved it

Hebrew - Reckon this would be one for you. Check it out

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Truth-about-Harry-Quebert-Affair/dp/1848663269/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1435735794&sr=1-1&keywords=joel+dicker+the+truth+about+the+harry+quebert+affair

Manc - I said it would make a good film. Just returned frpm holiday and see it has been made into a TV series and is currently being shown on Sky Witness channel.

Manc - I said it would make a good film. Just returned frpm holiday and see it has been made into a TV series and is currently being shown on Sky Witness channel.

I only just noticed this. Yeah my fiance found this on the website we use over the weekend. Have they made an arse of it or is it good?

Bookwise, done a fair amount of reading over the last few months. Conpleted a Douglas Skelton series in Glasgow which was dark and great. Then a series of comedy crime novels by caimh mcdonnell. Both authors are good value  :thumbsup:

I only just noticed this. Yeah my fiance found this on the website we use over the weekend. Have they made an arse of it or is it good?

Bookwise, done a fair amount of reading over the last few months. Conpleted a Douglas Skelton series in Glasgow which was dark and great. Then a series of comedy crime novels by caimh mcdonnell. Both authors are good value  :thumbsup:

Three episodes in so far. A bit slow but I'm not overly surpised at that.

Early impression is that I preferred the book to be honest.

• 1 month later...

Have you been watching it Manc ?

Have you been watching it Manc ?

Was waiting for your final opinion on it, didn't sell it one your last response!

Finished reading the tattooist which is about the Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist. Enjoyable is probably the wrong word to describe it but it was a really good read. Understandably sad.

Was waiting for your final opinion on it, didn't sell it one your last response!

Finished reading the tattooist which is about the Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist. Enjoyable is probably the wrong word to describe it but it was a really good read. Understandably sad.

It has improved mate. Think we only have about two or three episodes to watch.

Small criticisms i do feel they have passed it out however.

I have read The Tattooist of Auschwitz last year.

An extremely moving experience which shows the worst of humanity and in small parts the best. Recommended reading for almost everyone about events in the past that must never be forgotten or repeated.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a few years old now, but just finished King Joeys book, the one with Charlie Allen and was wondering if anyone knew who the Rangers player was who spat in his face during his early playing days at Aberdeen, but wouldn't/couldn't name in the book? I could only think of Alec MacDonald?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

'The Second Coming' by John Niven

May actually have gotten me back into reading much like Brookmyres ' A Big Boy did it and ran away' did about 15 years ago.

41SAUQBeVUL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Possibly cosidered cheating but also been using 'Audible' whilst working and currently on the 3rd 'Mortal Engines' book. Didn't see the film but feeling a bit annoyed that it looks like Peter Jackson & co have blown the chance to make it into a movie franchise.

Chris Mooney's Darby McCormick series is also pretty good. Very Gruesome imagination for his serial Killers and to date the only time I can recall a Camel Spider being used as a torture method

'The Second Coming' by John Niven

May actually have gotten me back into reading much like Brookmyres ' A Big Boy did it and ran away' did about 15 years ago.

41SAUQBeVUL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Possibly cosidered cheating but also been using 'Audible' whilst working and currently on the 3rd 'Mortal Engines' book. Didn't see the film but feeling a bit annoyed that it looks like Peter Jackson & co have blown the chance to make it into a movie franchise.

Chris Mooney's Darby McCormick series is also pretty good. Very Gruesome imagination for his serial Killers and to date the only time I can recall a Camel Spider being used as a torture method

Only discovered Niven around 6 months ago and have read about 4 of his books and all superb stuff. Haven't read The Second Coming, but is on my list of his books.

Nearly finished the Peter Crouch book 'How to be a Footballer' A very funny book buy a guy, despite his wealth, is not afraid to take the piss out of himself or the profession which he made his money in.

Comes across as a decent bloke, which is not something we can usually say about modern day footballers.

A very good read.

• 1 month later...

Nearly finished the Peter Crouch book 'How to be a Footballer' A very funny book buy a guy, despite his wealth, is not afraid to take the piss out of himself or the profession which he made his money in.

Comes across as a decent bloke, which is not something we can usually say about modern day footballers.

A very good read.

Very much doubt I will ever read his book but he won me over years ago when being asked what he would have been if he wasn't a footballer, replied "a virgin"