Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

If you like WW2 books I recommend "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge. He wrote it while fighting in the pacific. A very honest perspective of the fighting that went on.

Scotfree, just finished "with the old breed", excellent read but grim stuff, away to start Zero Six Bravo (Nae Bravo Two Zero) about the gulf war, any other suggestions you have would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Lion, the book the film was based on. Fantastic read, staggering to believe that it's a true story. Well worth a read.

Also read Trainspotting recently, how it's taken me this long to finally get round to reading it is beyond me. Fantastic book. Never knew so much of it wasn't carried through into the film.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got this for Christmas following your recommendations, and just got another 150 pages to go. Absolutely brilliant book. Only started reading it last week and just find it so hard to put down!

Manc - Next book by Joel Dicker is published on 18th May (again translated from French).

I have it sitting on my Kindle (courtesy of Net Gallery) ahead of publication and it is next on my reading list.

Away on holiday on 24th so will be delving into it then and give you a report on whether it is as good or not  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The mrs has managed to get me hooked on Harry Potter...currently reading the fourth book and have to say i've enjoyed every one of them.  I don't think I've seen many of the films so it's good to not have much to compare them to.

Will get the Butterfly Storm Heartland book ordered Al!  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The mrs has managed to get me hooked on Harry Potter...currently reading the fourth book and have to say i've enjoyed every one of them.  I don't think I've seen many of the films so it's good to not have much to compare them to.

Will get the Butterfly Storm Heartland book ordered Al!  :thumbsup:

So i've finished all the harry potters in about 2 months. Enjoyed them, can't say I like Harry much, bit of a knob if i'm honest.

But, looking forward to starting the butterfly storm!

• 3 weeks later...

So i've finished all the harry potters in about 2 months. Enjoyed them, can't say I like Harry much, bit of a knob if i'm honest.

After she had written the 6th or 7th, I decided to read the first - Philosophers Stone maybe?

Just to see what the fuss was about, to see what my kids were reading.

I really enjoyed it. So I decided to carry on.

I couldn't complete chapter 1 of book 2. I was all Harry Pottered out.

• 2 months later...

@BigAl,  when is the second book out?  Funny hearing so many places I grew up knowing, but itching for the second now  :hammer:

April 2018 Manc.

So been far to busy working on the new house to read.

From looks of this thread looks like abody has either given up reading or been reading shite not worth recommending. C'mon folks, the winter months are upon us and I need reading material

April 2018 Manc.

So been far to busy working on the new house to read.

From looks of this thread looks like abody has either given up reading or been reading shite not worth recommending. C'mon folks, the winter months are upon us and I need reading material

Have you read all the recommendations on the thread yet?

I was waiting for positive feedback on my last recommendation before suggesting another you see.

Chasing Shadows by Ken Hughes worth a read, about Nixon. But read the last recommendation first.

Haha, cheers al, that's bloody ages away! being away Ive read a couple of late, in particular Regarding world war 2:

H,H,H,H by Laurent bidet - about the czexhoslovak resistance in the second world war and the Heinrich Himmler. Great read although the short chapters were a bit annoying.

The last train to Istanbul by ayse kulin. Story of the Turkish trying to save both Jews and their own citizens from the hands of the horrible French and the nazis. It's a nice wee story, probably aided my bad feelings towards the French who seem rude and inconsiderate.

After visiting la paz, I'm currently reading marching powder. Excellent read and insight into San Pedro prison.

• 2 months later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Sleep-Science-Dreams-ebook/dp/B06Y649387/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Matthew Walker - Why We Sleep

Ok it's only the third week in January and I'm going to make a bold prediction and state there is not likely to be a book I'll read in 2018 that will make as big an impression upon me as this one.

I was given an advance copy some time ago for review and never actually got around to reading it. By fuck not only do I wish I'd read it when I got it, I wish I'd been able to read it many many years ago.

Not being medically minded, I have never realised the impact sleep or probably more so lack of sleep has upon the human brain, body, health and general well being to go about your life.

Totally, totally life changing, thank you Matthew Walker :thumbsup:

Having just been fucked off by you on another thread, I love hearing your enthusiasm about that book. I'm similarly going through a book enthusiasm orgasm.

I just finished White Trash. Found this intro online - In this landmark book, Nancy Isenberg argues that the voters who boosted Trump all the way to the White House have been a permanent part of the American fabric.

Just starting Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge. It's awesome already.

Both books written in 2017, by women and highly critically acclaimed. Love learning stuff and this stuff is huge.

The Reni Eddo-Lodge one that you refer to actually shows up on Amazon as bought by people who bought the Matthew Walker one. See the kindle version is down to just over two quid, so going to buy. Nae idea when i will get around to reading it though as got a fair few from NetGalley to read and review.

Reading In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat at the moment. Decent read like, very interesting, but hard going on a subject I dinna really understand (quantum mechanics) - well written for the layman.

Done, The Secret Deals That Are Changing Our World was also a decent read recently. Read Beyond Civilisation by Daniel Quinn at the end of the year, was okay, but the Ishmael book is better and also Kate Raworth's Doughnut Economics, which is quite good too. Elif Shafak's 3 Daughter of Eve was a good story on the fiction side.

Nothing as good on the fictional side of things as The Sellout by Paul Beatty as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Get it read if you haven't already. Classic.

These all sound fascinating!

I've got around half a dozen books from Christmas waiting to be read including one about suffragettes and one about trees......

Just finished The Comet Seekers by Helen Sedgwick - it was very good and now reading How to Stop Time by Matt Haig - both actually involve history & romance so dunno why I read them back to back  ;D