Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

THE DONSTALK BOOK CLUB

Kowalski

• 2 weeks later...

Terry Hayes - I Am Pilgrim

500 pages into it, still got another 350 pages to go, but so far it is shaping up as a five star

I will have to give that a try. Reading about the American Civil War at the moment. What a weird and horrendous war that was.

Just bought it. Better be fucking good.  ;)

You started on it yet ?

I finished a few days ago.

Cracking read, got film written all over it.

If I'm being critical, possibly a little too long, and have to say that the ending was a little bit disappointing in comparison to what had gone before it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In Plain Sight, The Life & Lies of Jimmy Saville.

Words totally fail me as to just how he got away with it for so long given the number of unconnected reporting of his wrong doing the lenght and breadth of the country and over such a long period of time.

I started that book, Al.

Had to stop a third of the way through.

Realy grim stuff.

Grim as in what that prick got away but I am three quartets of the way though it and I would say that I am pleased that there is no graphic detailed description of his crimes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Talking of books & films I'm reading Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy as the film comes out in May

I haven't read a great deal of classics but this one is quite enjoyable so far

Canny make up my mind if I'm gonna ever get a kindle - using my daughter's for this one but think I will always prefer actual books

Canny make up my mind if I'm gonna ever get a kindle - using my daughter's for this one but think I will always prefer actual books

I got one pretty much as soon as they were launched years ago.

More and more however I am finding myself gravitating back to the good old paperback.

Just started on Mark Billingham's latest DC Thorne book

• 2 weeks later...

Micheal Dobbs - 1 Minute to Midnight. A good read and frightening. I wasnt around during the 60's but the book gave me an insight into the thoughts and minds of Khrushchev, Kenndedy and the world at that time.

If that had gone wrong I wouldn't have seen my first birthday.

If that had gone wrong I wouldn't have seen my first birthday.

After reading that book im actually amazed how close it came to happening. I have watched movies and read articles, but none of them actually described the situation as it was at the time. Not sure how the world would react to such a situation in modern times, but the doomsday clock would have us believe its still a very real possibility.

Micheal Dobbs - 1 Minute to Midnight. A good read and frightening. I wasnt around during the 60's but the book gave me an insight into the thoughts and minds of Khrushchev, Kenndedy and the world at that time.

Am I right in thinking it was Michael Dobbs that wrote "House of Cards" that is on Netflix ?