Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dundee v Aberdeen - Scottish Cup

That's a sore one to take, it was a close, open game but i did think we had edged it.

From my limited time seeing us this season, that's been the case.

Starting to get a hint of what being an Arsenal fan is like. 60-70 minutes of sterile domination before giving away a gift or two to the opposition. Even games we've won, we've been one mistake away from points dropped.

The most annoying factor for me is the reaction to their goals. We all of a sudden turn into a team desperate for every ball. Where the fuck is that spirit when we are level? instead of just coasting along as if "yeah, we know we're better, we'll score eventually"

I know defence is an obvious issue, but Up front seems a bit all over the place. its as if our grand attacking plan is to have 5 forwards, with whatever shape they fancy. So we end up with Rooney crossing into the box for pawlett instead of the opposite.

Last season Rooney was the finisher, staying in and around box to be supplied by McGinn wide, or pawlett from deep. Now we have goodwilliie, pawlett, Rooney, McGinn and even Hayes all popping up in the same places.

From my limited time seeing us this season, that's been the case.

Starting to get a hint of what being an Arsenal fan is like. 60-70 minutes of sterile domination before giving away a gift or two to the opposition. Even games we've won, we've been one mistake away from points dropped.

The most annoying factor for me is the reaction to their goals. We all of a sudden turn into a team desperate for every ball. Where the fuck is that spirit when we are level? instead of just coasting along as if "yeah, we know we're better, we'll score eventually"

I know defence is an obvious issue, but Up front seems a bit all over the place. its as if our grand attacking plan is to have 5 forwards, with whatever shape they fancy. So we end up with Rooney crossing into the box for pawlett instead of the opposite.

Last season Rooney was the finisher, staying in and around box to be supplied by McGinn wide, or pawlett from deep. Now we have goodwilliie, pawlett, Rooney, McGinn and even Hayes all popping up in the same places.

I've had that same feeling this season.  Incredibly frustrating, why they only seem to give a shit after going behind, has happened against Septic earlier in the season too. There is now killer punch or ability to see games out at all, and the worst part of it, you could sense it coming. Sigh.  :hammer:

Another game we desperately need a goal, and another game where McInnes refuses to shake things up.

Shankland is going to end up going elsewhere at this rate.

Rooney is the best striker we've had since Duncan Shearer, so why is he getting shunted out to the wing?  It smacks of McInnes wanting to use his best eleven players, rather than the eleven which fit the shape the best.

Reynolds needs to get his finger out as well, he's been poor this season and it's now looking like he needs Anderson there to hold his hand.

Another game we desperately need a goal, and another game where McInnes refuses to shake things up.

Shankland is going to end up going elsewhere at this rate.

Rooney is the best striker we've had since Duncan Shearer, so why is he getting shunted out to the wing?  It smacks of McInnes wanting to use his best eleven players, rather than the eleven which fit the shape the best.

Reynolds needs to get his finger out as well, he's been poor this season and it's now looking like he needs Anderson there to hold his hand.

Out of curiosity, how long does he have left on his deal?  I completely agree with what you've said. I couldn't understand why he wasn't brought on?!?

We had more than enough opportunities to put that game to bed. We're not utilising Goodwillie properly which is bloody frustrating becuase he's a quality player, he isn't suited to playing up top on his own. Also, we need to give him the ball to feet instead of punting it to him at chest or head height. On top of all that I lost count the amount of times he had to drop really deep to get the ball, that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing but there's nobody from the midfield prepared to push on.

i feel like there isn't enough depth in the squad. i personally thought the priority in the summer was a left back, central midfielder and a striker. with Robson looking like the legs have gone, Jack and Flood was never going to be enough in the central midfield area, had to rely on Hayes playing in there on Saturday. i'm not sure we needed another centre half. Considine could have played in there. I don't rate Taylor at all, he looks like he's going to cost us a goal in every game. We made one sub on Saturday, McInnes doesn't seem to have faith in anyone on the bench. I know we had a young bench on Saturday but he's been the same no matter who is on it. with Flood being out for the near future i reckon we need to look at bringing in another central midfielder with a bit of fight.

Out of curiosity, how long does he have left on his deal?  I completely agree with what you've said. I couldn't understand why he wasn't brought on?!?

Out of contract in the summer.

Had exactly this conversation with my younger son at Firhill last weekend.

Either play him or lose him.

I'm starting to think goodwillie isn't going to work out. He's clearly talented but he struggles to fit into the system and I would rather see LS getting a chance. Pawlett has flattered to deceive a lot this season also, I think he is better suited to playing on the wing but given mcginn is the best crosser in our side it's understandable why he is out wide.  That said we are missing his goals. I was very surprised we only made one sub on Saturday and how late on it came. I really like Smith though and in all honesty I think pawlett should make way for him for a few games, Smith is much better suited to the behind the striker role than DG or PP

I'm staying to think goodwillie isn't going to work out. He's clearly talented but he struggles to fit into the system and I would rather see LS getting a chance. Pawlett has flattered to deceive a lot this season also, I think he is better suited to playing on the wing but given mcginn is the best crosser in our side it's understandable why he is out wide.  That said we are missing his goals. I was very surprised we only made one sub on Saturday and how late on it came. I really like Smith though and in all honesty I think pawlett should make way for him for a few games, Smith is much better suited to the behind the striker role than DG or PP

I see what you're saying but I'm totally against Pawlett being played out wide, he's wasted there imo.  He's much more influential through the middle and causes teams no end of trouble (on his day) when played there.

I'm staying to think goodwillie isn't going to work out. He's clearly talented but he struggles to fit into the system and I would rather see LS getting a chance. Pawlett has flattered to deceive a lot this season also, I think he is better suited to playing on the wing but given mcginn is the best crosser in our side it's understandable why he is out wide.  That said we are missing his goals. I was very surprised we only made one sub on Saturday and how late on it came. I really like Smith though and in all honesty I think pawlett should make way for him for a few games, Smith is much better suited to the behind the striker role than DG or PP

I really don't think you should have been surprised.

One of the biggest gripes I have about McInnes (he has been great for us, don't get me wrong) is the continual underuse of his subs. Look at the Scottish Cup semi last season...we needed a goal, didn't change anything until we were into injury time when he finally brought Vernon on.  I know it's a bit of a cliche, but it's a squad game these days and yet McInnes is refusing to use his squad.