Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

Cannot believe folk of Orkney and Shetland elected this cunt again. Was obvious early on that he was behind the leaked memo yet they still voted him back in. If he had any decency Carmichael would stand down but i doubt he even thinks he did anything wrong.

Not so sure about that Manc as they voted in Ken Livingstone and Mad Boris.

One of the few places that reduced the number of Tory seats  :thumbsup:

Ken livingstone did reasonably well for London, but can't argue about Boris.....I blame the x-factor generation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-32928077

This is interesting given the shite highland council has been proposing for areas outside of Inverness. Closures of service points, reducing/ stopping gritter services during winter etc.

The remaining SNP & Labour council is now outnumbered by the Independents (35 to 31) which could pretty much fuck up everything the Council have proposed. Suspect my parents and the other Wester Ross Locals will be very pleased.

There's a rumour going around that he fell off the wagon after losing his seat but I have no idea on the accuracy.  Genuinely gutted by this, Charlie Kennedy was a one of the good guys.  I never had the pleasure to meet him but my ex did on many occasions professionally.  She worked in a hospital where a family member of his was residing and she said he was a very down to earth guy under very trying circumstances.  RIP Charlie, you will be sorely missed.

There's a rumour going around that he fell off the wagon after losing his seat but I have no idea on the accuracy.  Genuinely gutted by this, Charlie Kennedy was a one of the good guys.  I never had the pleasure to meet him but my ex did on many occasions professionally.  She worked in a hospital where a family member of his was residing and she said he was a very down to earth guy under very trying circumstances.  RIP Charlie, you will be sorely missed.

Paddy ashdown hinted at that this morning on a TV interview., well more so that he had his deamons and he'd tried the hardest out of anyone in the party to retain his seat. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Very sad news.

His father died recently and he had supposedly taken this extremely badly.

Great loss to UK politics always came across as somone who was in politics to help others and not for personal gain like so many others. Lost his seat due to the actions of others in his party. Actions he warned would lead to his party taking the kicking that they did on the 8th of May.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-32928077

This is interesting given the shite highland council has been proposing for areas outside of Inverness. Closures of service points, reducing/ stopping gritter services during winter etc.

The remaining SNP & Labour council is now outnumbered by the Independents (35 to 31) which could pretty much fuck up everything the Council have proposed. Suspect my parents and the other Wester Ross Locals will be very pleased.

Independents take over.

Be interesting to see how a council with no official political party members performs.

Independent councillors at Highland Council have formally set up a new ruling administration.

Last month, the Liberal Democrats walked out of the SNP-led coalition that had run the local authority since 2012.

Following days of talks, the council's Independent group took steps to form a new administration.

Margaret Davidson has been appointed the local authority's new leader and Isobel McCallum is the new convener.

The new administration said its priorities include increased spending on fixing potholes in roads and a return to local democracy.

Ms Davidson said: "We are on the brink of an exciting time for the Highlands.

"Without being bound by party politics, we intend to take a fresh look at community planning with a renewed emphasis on empowerment.

"We want to work in partnership with our communities and provide them with real local decision making powers."

I would love to see all councils run by independants, to feck with party politics at local level, possibly national level too.  Local politics should be 100% about local issues and local people with nothing whatsoever to do with either Edinburgh or London.  The big problem now is folk elected to local councils just use it as a means to pander to their parties in the hope of getting a sniff of a seat at one of the bigger gigs in either of the above mentioned parliaments.

• 3 months later...

So what do we reckon?  Is Pig-gate going to take down Cameron?  I think it could, regardless of how true the allegations are he's going to take a hoor of a ripping for this.  So much so it actually could make his position untenable.

I've been in meetings most of the day so complete missed this, what has gone on?! From quickly scanning BBC, it seems like someone who has admitted having beef with him over not getting a post in his cabinet?  I'd love it to take Cameron down, but fear what would be next. Boris?  :hammer: