Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

The torture never stops !

'Outlander'(Netflix and/or Show Box).

The Outlander series is set in Scotland in 1743 and it explores among other things the relationships and attitudes of British occupying military forces toward the local population. The picture painted is often one of British repression and brutality borne of visceral contempt for Scots.

Prime Minister David Cameron met with Sony Pictures representatives 2 1/2 months before indyref to discuss the impending release in Britain of the Outlander series, according to WIKILEAKS. The series premier broadcast was inexplicably delayed here until after the referendum.

http://www.weourselves.com/cameron-met-with-sony-pictures-about-release-date-of-outlander/

The torture never stops !

'Outlander'(Netflix and/or Show Box).

The Outlander series is set in Scotland in 1743 and it explores among other things the relationships and attitudes of British occupying military forces toward the local population. The picture painted is often one of British repression and brutality borne of visceral contempt for Scots.

Prime Minister David Cameron met with Sony Pictures representatives 2 1/2 months before indyref to discuss the impending release in Britain of the Outlander series, according to WIKILEAKS. The series premier broadcast was inexplicably delayed here until after the referendum.

http://www.weourselves.com/cameron-met-with-sony-pictures-about-release-date-of-outlander/

Wonder if that is worth a watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching question time on BBC at the mo?

I missed the Westminster based parties but sat watching Nicola Sturgeon now, the entire first part was spent with the host trying to push her on the referendum. Quite disappointing really that the focus was kept on that despite her repeatedly saying the SNP have no plans to push for another referendum.

Could have guessed they would ED. Its the same down here where everyone is worried about how the SNP would influence and push for another referendum. This isn't helping and obviously something they did say after the last but have since said isn't their focus or concern for the GE, but as Bearsden said, looks like Ed Miliband lost it. Even clegg got more applause than he did. He's deluded , in fact both he and Cameron are both deluded if they'll get a majority, but its hard to see where the alliances will form. The English parties are treating the SNP with the disdain they always have.

Could have guessed they would ED. Its the same down here where everyone is worried about how the SNP would influence and push for another referendum. This isn't helping and obviously something they did say after the last but have since said isn't their focus or concern for the GE, but as Bearsden said, looks like Ed Miliband lost it. Even clegg got more applause than he did. He's deluded , in fact both he and Cameron are both deluded if they'll get a majority, but its hard to see where the alliances will form. The English parties are treating the SNP with the disdain they always have.

It's a shame really, I agree that the SNP are being treated with the same disdain as ever.  The English parties need to wake up and realise that the SNP will probably hold a fair amount of power in the next government.

Is anyone really that surprised that the 'neverendum' (as jim murphey called it) is the main topic the Main UK parties are bringing up?

I could be very wrong but I think in the back of Sturgeon's mind is 'how long will it take a fair chunk of the people who have suddenly joined our party/ are claiming to be out to vote for us to turn nasty if we haven't negotiated another referendum within x number of years?'

Personally their candidate in my constituency really haven't impressed me at all.

Based on her profile she has the life experience that is mandatory for anyone to get my support but to date the

only contact I have had is a letter telling me to object to a 'new' recycling plant down the road in the industrial estate - its actually an extension of an existing plant but you need to either look at the planning application or know the company to know this.

This letter was left outside my door (not posted through the letter box for some reason) along with a general SNP leaflet which mentioned the SNP 'invest in our traditional industries like science, innovation and engineering, while at the same time promoting new emerging sectors like renewables, the creative sector and life-sciences.'

The extension to this recycling plant is supposedly going to use new gasification technology to create both cheap electricity and heating to the local area much like similar plants currently in operation in Austria and Sweden. It will also almost double the amount of construction industry waste which can be recycled in the city.

The irony of the situation.

As for the other candidates

Lib Dems - Guy is in his early to mid 20s and according to his info has spent most of his adult life either learning about or being involved in politics  :hammer:

Cannabis is safer than alcohol party - Pointless in FPTP

Conservative - Slightly older version of Lib Dem Candidate

Communist - Just a step above the Cannabis lot IMO

Labour - Current MP (has been for 15 years) and based on his background (ex BT Engineer) he at least qualifies to be a politician in my book.

Green - Retired teacher who spent 20 years working in the East End of Glasgow. Much like Labour guy she appears to have the life experience which should be mandatory for any politician

Only the Labour and Greens are fielding the same candidates.

If the opinion polls are correct the SNP are going to snatch the seat from Labour. If so that is a hell of a swing. Labour took 54% of the vote in 2010. Lib Dems -16%, SNP -15%, Tories 10%

It's a shame really, I agree that the SNP are being treated with the same disdain as ever.  The English parties need to wake up and realise that the SNP will probably hold a fair amount of power in the next government.

WTF are you doing watching politics shows? Just you do what the BBC tell you  >:D

Is anyone really that surprised that the 'neverendum' (as jim murphey called it) is the main topic the Main UK parties are bringing up?

I could be very wrong but I think in the back of Sturgeon's mind is 'how long will it take a fair chunk of the people who have suddenly joined our party/ are claiming to be out to vote for us to turn nasty if we haven't negotiated another referendum within x number of years?'

Personally their candidate in my constituency really haven't impressed me at all.

Based on her profile she has the life experience that is mandatory for anyone to get my support but to date the

only contact I have had is a letter telling me to object to a 'new' recycling plant down the road in the industrial estate - its actually an extension of an existing plant but you need to either look at the planning application or know the company to know this.

This letter was left outside my door (not posted through the letter box for some reason) along with a general SNP leaflet which mentioned the SNP 'invest in our traditional industries like science, innovation and engineering, while at the same time promoting new emerging sectors like renewables, the creative sector and life-sciences.'

The extension to this recycling plant is supposedly going to use new gasification technology to create both cheap electricity and heating to the local area much like similar plants currently in operation in Austria and Sweden. It will also almost double the amount of construction industry waste which can be recycled in the city.

The irony of the situation.

As for the other candidates

Lib Dems - Guy is in his early to mid 20s and according to his info has spent most of his adult life either learning about or being involved in politics  :hammer:

Cannabis is safer than alcohol party - Pointless in FPTP

Conservative - Slightly older version of Lib Dem Candidate

Communist - Just a step above the Cannabis lot IMO

Labour - Current MP (has been for 15 years) and based on his background (ex BT Engineer) he at least qualifies to be a politician in my book.

Green - Retired teacher who spent 20 years working in the East End of Glasgow. Much like Labour guy she appears to have the life experience which should be mandatory for any politician

Only the Labour and Greens are fielding the same candidates.

If the opinion polls are correct the SNP are going to snatch the seat from Labour. If so that is a hell of a swing. Labour took 54% of the vote in 2010. Lib Dems -16%, SNP -15%, Tories 10%

I can understand why you think it but I'm not convinced.  If/when there is another ref it will need to be well considered, quite simply if it was held and the result came back the same as 2014 you just can't see the SNP going for another one for a very long time.  They would never get away with it..... they would have truly failed and what purpose would they serve then?  If/when there is another referendum it's all or nothing and the SNP will be well aware of that.  The SNP have risen spectacularly but to use the old football idiom 'getting to the top is one thing, staying there is something else'.  It's clear they are going to get a lot of seats and have some actual influence in Westminster, how much remains to be seen, but if they are going to consolidate that (stretch out a big lead at the top to continue the football analogy) what they really need to do then is maintain a majority in the Scottish parliament not call for another referendum.  It's a trickier prospect too because of the PR election system and they may not manage a majority though there is no danger Labour will get enough to have a minority gvmt.  The next few years in Scottish and UK politics is going to be fascinating to watch.

People believing the sheer arrogance of the SNP is what is going to deliver a Tory government.  It's been clear from the start that Labour do not want a deal with the SNP but the SNP have continued to pursue the same rhetoric, and the Tories are having a field day.

What a mess.

The SNP have more to gain in the long term from a Tory government than a Labour one.

People believing the sheer arrogance of the SNP is what is going to deliver a Tory government.  It's been clear from the start that Labour do not want a deal with the SNP but the SNP have continued to pursue the same rhetoric, and the Tories are having a field day.

What a mess.

The SNP have more to gain in the long term from a Tory government than a Labour one.

The arrogance of the SNP? They are going to single handly wipe out Labour in Scotland for possibly a generation. They could win every seat in Scotland. They deserve to be arrogant.

But I think a lot of people are under estimating the pragmatism of the SNP. There whole raison-d'etre is independence. They will be looking at different outcomes after the election and trying to game it so it works out the best in regards to the result of a second indy ref. They would be delighted at a Tory majority and an out vote at an EU referendum in two years time.

People believing the sheer arrogance of the SNP is what is going to deliver a Tory government.

What arrogance? I'm struggling to see what you mean?

If you're referring to the claim that they will be the third biggest party, then that's almost certain.

After last night, the arrogance once again of Cameron claiming he's there to win a majority, Milliband saying the same plus he won't do a deal with anyone. Not once in any of the recent programmes has either of these answered the straightforward question, 'who will you form an alliance/coalition with'?

It was about the only thing Clegg got right last night when making comment on the idiocy of still clinging to that stance. 

People believing the sheer arrogance of the SNP is what is going to deliver a Tory government.

Ed Milliband said last night that he would rather have a Tory government than work with another party which looks on course to win an overwhelming democratic mandate.

Based on this you conclude that it's the SNP that are arrogant, and that they will be at fault if we end up with a Tory government.

Seriously, I think you've fallen through the looking glass.

What a mess.

I cannot believe anyone still supports/believes the Red Tories. Never thought I would hear a Labour politician say he would rather have a Tory Government rather than work with the democratically elected SNP.

Not that i'm the SNP's biggest fan, but Milliband fully dug himself a Tory hole last night, as Jute and NTD said, for him to say that he'd rather not be in government than work with the SNP was completely and utterly deplorable. I get his point that they are obviously against each other in Scotland, for him to say that was ridiculous.  Another nail in the labour coffin. His stumble at the end said it all.

I actually though Clegg came out best last night.

Milliband proved last night exactly why he isn't fit to be prime minister. A man who is willing to cut his nose off to spite his face, deserves no place in no.10. He maybe doesn't want to work with SNP and he has a right to say that, but he cant moan when he his party disappears into oblivion. The political map in England makes grim reading for Labour as it is and with the exception of a few big cities voting for them, everywhere else is Conservative. In Scotland the SNP could remove every Labour MP altogether.

The only way he will get into No.10 is through a deal, one he isn't willing to make with the SNP and that will be his downfall. Labour may not have an MP in Scotland for generations to come, if the SNP keep going like they are. It does sicken me that they wont do a deal with the SNP and its just a continuation of the anti-SNP agenda that occurred during the referendum. Constant scaremongering rubbish that the SNP are bad for the UK is getting a tad tedious now. labour, like the cons promised powers to Scotland upon which nothing has happened and now the Scottish people voting against them. IMO they are shitting themselves at the prospect of the SNP taking Scotland and that they will be left with no seats.

If Labours ratings are so bad a deal with the SNP may not be enough to get the majority.

SNP can only get a max of 59 seats which would leave Labour needing 267 to get for a 2 party coalition majority.

The quote from Ballot Monkeys keeps ringing through my head

"They're all tossers. To win an election, you’ve only got to convince people that your tosser is less of a tosser than the other lot’s tosser.”

I thought Milliband was a disgrace - I dislike him intensely, was shouting at the telly when he was on

Cameron bores me to tears

Clegg is much more intelligent than either of them - this time he knows he is fucked tho so he can say what he likes and his comment about both of them being deluded was absolutely correct

I hope the SNP get loads of seats and Labour get 1 more seat than the Tories - then we'll see what happens to the biggest party  :twisted: