Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

Erm no, about a fifth of the SNP. The SNP stood in 8% of seats, were there any seats that UKIP didnt stand in?

Obviously they stood in more seats than the SNP but they got more than the double the votes but won 1/50th of the seats that SNP won.  FPTP is a joke, but at least it's a joke at Farage's expense!

Obviously they stood in more seats than the SNP but they got more than the double the votes but won 1/50th of the seats that SNP won.  FPTP is a joke, but at least it's a joke at Farage's expense!

The only time I've been relieved to have FPTP, just to fuck up the kippers.

Just a shame that all the good work the SNP have done, the tory majority has fucked things up completely. Almost rules it irrelevant because the power is with the Tories.  :hammer:

Boris has already suggested it.

The SNP did not 'help to deliver a Tory Government'.

We have a Tory government because people in England voted for one overwhelmingly, and they have a massive in-built majority in the Commons.

This result illustrates starkly that the politics Scotland votes for will always have precisely fuck all influence on the Government at Westminster.

The need for electoral and constitutional reform is now overwhelming but I fear that, with the Tory majority any that does take place will be on their terms, so we can expect fuck all.

The SNP did not 'help to deliver a Tory Government'.

We have a Tory government because people in England voted for one overwhelmingly, and they have a massive in-built majority in the Commons.

This result illustrates starkly that the politics Scotland votes for will always have precisely fuck all influence on the Government at Westminster.

The need for electoral and constitutional reform is now overwhelming but I fear that, with the Tory majority any that does take place will be on their term, so we can expect fuck all.

I'll tell you what would be ideal. If we had our own parliament and that we got the government that we voted for an if it had genuine power to shape the country rather than a few token powers that Westminster deem unimportant enough to let us decide for ourselves.

Many voted because there was a chance that they could be in a coalition and actually have a say.  But now we have another 5 years of austerity, unless Cameron reaches out to the SNP which he really has to do.

English voters have rejected the SNP.  If they wanted a coalition of Labour/SNP they would have voted for it.

I don't believe that for a minute - why would you choose to vote for a hypothetical coalition  :dunno:

English voters i don't honestly think really gave a fuck about the SNP - they also didn't give a fuck about Milliband being PM and this imo is why we have another 5 years of the fucking tories

I don't believe that for a minute - why would you choose to vote for a hypothetical coalition  :dunno:

Exactly.

It's all utter bollocks.

The english voted for the tories because they are a nation of tight fisted cunts. They don't give a fuck about anything beyond their own front door, unless its something they can blame for their own shortcomings.

They don't admit to planning to vote for the self interest party because that would out them as selfish cunts, and god forbid the neighbours might think know they're tight.

The sadist in me can't wait for these people to moan in 10/20 years time about not being able to send their kids to University or those same kids living at home into their forties. In fact I can't wait to point out how lucky they are, given the cuts to social care spending, that their uneducated socially inadequate child/ren can at least provide them with the care they need, free of charge...

Out of interest how many voted in the 2011 referendum and if so did you vote yes or no?

My blame for this current situation lies firmly with those who voted no back in 2011 plus those in the yes campaign who fucked it up.

But of course I've learned to let it go  :doh:

Out of interest how many voted in the 2011 referendum and if so did you vote yes or no?

My blame for this current situation lies firmly with those who voted no back in 2011 plus those in the yes campaign who fucked it up.

The referendum in 2011 was a huge set up. Blame the lack of ruthlessness of the lib dems and their agreement to possibly the worst representation of pr.

Huge set up - yes.

A classic example of the british public failing to understand the situation - yes

Lib dems not ruthless enough - already ahead of you

Similar things could be said about the 2014 referendum

Interesting that down south it has taken old Nigel's antics to get public to start bitching about FPTP,

Under PR the government might look like this

Tory - 239 seats

Labour - 197 seats

UKIP - 81 Seats

Lib Dems - 51 seats

SNP - 30 seats

Green - 24 seats

DUP - 3 Seats

Plaid Cymru - 3 Seats

Sinn Feinn - 3 Seats

UUP - 2 Seats

SDLP -2 seats

Alliance - 2 seats

The Speaker - 1 Seat

12 seats split between the rest

Of course this is just indicative as PR ballot papers (as far as I am aware) are massive as they need to include every single party in the election

Of course this is just indicative as PR ballot papers (as far as I am aware) are massive as they need to include every single party in the election

That's a great point, so highly likely under Nicola's current UK wide wave of popularity, that the SNP would have had significantly more MPs than the 56 we've actually got, and that many of the UKIP protest votes would very well have gone to the SNP.

That's a great point, so highly likely under Nicola's current UK wide wave of popularity, that the SNP would have had significantly more MPs than the 56 we've actually got, and that many of the UKIP protest votes would very well have gone to the SNP.

Not so sure that the right wing little Englanders who voted UKIP would have switched to the SNP under a PR system. More like SNP were an option nationwide they would have just taken more votes of Labour.

Not so sure that the right wing little Englanders who voted UKIP would have switched to the SNP under a PR system. More like SNP were an option nationwide they would have just taken more votes of Labour.

Agreed, Id find that hard to believe that the SNP would make significant gains down here. A lot of people whilst admiring the work Sturgeon has done, its still a scottish party and thats how the english view them.

This grinds my fucking gears. You're far from the only no voter to be giving it the "let it go" pish along with the others going on about "sour grapes" and other such childish pish. This wasn't a fucking football result. It was the future of our country and it was taken from us by a mixture selfishness, fear and ignorance. These folk moaning about Scottish nationalism whilst brandishing Union Jacks and completely unable to see that as British nationalists they're just as bad.

But we did vote no and as a result we have the government that we deserve. I cannot wait until the day comes that we can properly govern ourselves.  ::)

At the risk of kicking the whole referendum debate off again (be it 2011, 2014 and seemingly the future 2017 one) 3 of the biggest aspects of human nature are selfishness, fear and ignorance hence why we have a 2 party system, gross inequality throughout.

Personally I wish the Yes campaigns for the last 2 referendums would acknowledge that their campaigns were seriously flawed and were pretty much doomed from day 1 because they didn't have enough time to really get their own heads around how the situation would work.

Lib Dems and other smaller parties given just over a year to convince the UK Public to change from a system that they had used all their lives. Tuitions fees are the default back bone fuck up for clegg but not demanding minimum 2.5 years (leaving 2.5 years to work out how to change the whole system if it had been approved) is where I will always criticise him.

The Scots Nats and other Supporters given less than 2 years to convince an entire country to change from the system they had known all their lives. A system which was flawed and irritating still brought a fairly comfortable life to a large chunk of the country unlike the breakup of Balkans or the USSR had not led to civil war, mass starvation and in some areas genocide.

When you have survived those sorts of things it makes it much easier to say 'yes' and unfortunately there is scar tissue concealing large parts of the wounds left by the thatcher-ites

For me the 'no' vote were 'selfish' because they 'feared' the uncertainty of an Independent Scotland and if your life isnt that bad, your mortgage is still being paid and your kids arent going hungry you aint gonna risk losing that.

The 'Yes' vote on the other hand were 'selfish' and 'ignorant' because too many got the saltire tinted braveheart specs and were aggressive to anyone who they felt didnt think their way instead of trying to debate and convince them. Most importantly they failed to get hold of the formal Yes Campaign and say 'fuck sake will you start producing evidence, economic plans, basic simple answers to the doubter's questions instead of playing this tit for tat bullshit with the No campaign. You are falling into their trap just like the Lid Dems did 2-3 years ago!'

Tories, Labour etc knew fine well that agreeing to have an independence referendum or an alternative vote referendum after the 2015 election was political suicide. Essentially a 'Ctrl + Z' option for Scotland and potentially death to their stranglehold on the rest of the UK.

By the time all the dick measuring, political swaggering, accusations or intimidation, fear mongering and flat out lying were done very little had changed from their original stances and we got the results that we did. Both occasions stitched up by the UK Government as they knew it was all about 'time'.

Cats out of the bag now though and I dont doubt if either of those previous referendums were scheduled for this time next year the results would be reversed. However whether or not they would bring the results the people think they would is another matter altogether.

Now lets see how the various campaigns for the EU 'in-out' referendum play their hands. This time it could be classed as 'Tories & UKIP' vs the rest (although not every tory is for leaving) but based on last thursdays results I fear it could be the only referendum in Cameron's legacy that gets a 'Yes'

I don't buy that either. I can't understand why people persist with this "the Yes/SNP campaign shouting down again". Pish. Yes there will have been folk who raised their voices but it is sheer mind-boggling ignorance to genuinely believe that that happened on only the SNP/Yes side. That happened on both sides. I'm all for debating like adults but when these clowns were voting for their sense of british national pride or because their partners had told them who to vote for it was frustrating. Then of course there was the "I have my reasons for voting no. I'm not going to go into them though" mob.  ::) And don't get me started on the phone calls that pensioners were getting telling them they if Yes won they'd lose their pensions. If anything the Yes campaign were a bit naive by not blatantly lying as much as the No campaign.

There were answers to questions. But the No folk just ignored them because they had made up their minds. That's fine. But you can't say there weren't answers when there were - they just didn't suit your agenda.

My mortgage gets paid and I'm relatively comfortable. I don't have kids but I'd really have to think about it if I do... By the time they got to university age I'd bet they'd have to pay tuition fees! But I read the numbers and to me it was clear that we'd be better off without the rest of the UK. Which is why I wasn't shitting myself that my mortgage would quadruple or my hoose would collapse (or whatever yous were all worried about) in the event of independence. As far as I could see the gains outweighed the risks.

But I agree re one thing. If there was another referendum in 2017 I don't think the result would be any different. Although maybe all the farmers would then have to vote yes this time to get back into the EU since Cameron is determined to get the UK oot. 

What absolute pish - has it ever occured to you that maybe just maybe folk voted for the SNP for their policies and for the fact they are an anti austerity party - give voters credit for voting for what they believe in

A massive change swept through Scotland last night  and it has fuck all to do with the tories

Every voter in Scotland could have voted Labour and the Tories would still have got in. I voted what I felt was best for Scotland so we could have a louder voice. Just wonder how many more yes votes there may have been if us expats were allowed to vote in the referendum

Every voter in Scotland could have voted Labour and the Tories would still have got in. I voted what I felt was best for Scotland so we could have a louder voice. Just wonder how many more yes votes there may have been if us expats were allowed to vote in the referendum

I knew more no voters than yes ones down here (had they been allowed to).