Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

DT Politics Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Cameron's speech was bad enough - or at least the "highlights" as presented by the media, like I would watch that predictable and very insane public schoolboy wanker - but the coverage of it by the Sky and BBC news channels defies belief.

Maybe it's me? And my wife. Maybe we're the ones who are mad and who have got the totally wrong end of the stick about hug-a-hoodie Dave? But does nobody have a robustly functioning instinct any more? That doesn't lie. Maybe the dumbing down and the starving people of education and the complicit institutions have won and folk can't feel anything any more, let alone see and think with clarity.

It's a shite state of affairs to be in Tommy and all the fresh air in the world won't make any fucking difference.

No words can ever truly express how much I despise the conservative's. The worst part is whoever replaces Cameron, either Osbourne or Johnson you would think, is going to be worse. It breaks my heart to think we could have been free of them.

This is my biggest fear. You can tell Osborne looks like a tory extraordinaire and makes that pug faced cunt a tory lite. Johnson would be a puppet for some other unknown evil.

Here's how it works:

The UK holds a general election. More people vote Conservative than any other party so Conservatives get into power. Shortly before that Scotland voted on and rejected independence. What this means is that we cannot break away and then vote in a government of our own (highly unlikely to have been a Conservative government) but that we're stuck with whatever government other, much more populous parts of the UK vote in for us.

It's literally what we voted for. We deserve every tiny bit of depression and misery that comes from our government in Westminster because all the "British" wankfucks and the pussies that let themselves get bullied voted no. Happy days.

Most of them aren't bothered about responding though. You could tell the spastic (usually female) no voters a mile off with their "I have my reasons and they're private" line.

I went to see Kevin Bridges last night. One of his jokes was about a man that he was talking to in New York. The man was saying that he can't believe Scotland rejected independence. He mentioned historical figures such as Robert the Bruce and William Wallace. And Kevin said "That's all very well but we thought Asda were going to bump up their prices.  There's only so much we're willing to pay for crispy pancakes."

It would've been funnier if it was so tragically accurate of the average No voter.

Oh Jesus. Not the "get over it" pish again.  ::) That's even more tedious than us still going on about it.

Bad football result, losing your debit card, speeding fine, missing out on gig tickets, knee injury or getting a puncture. All examples of things that you can "get over" given time.

The rejection of independence from a war-mongering, elitist and fundamentally corrupt from top to bottom nation like the UK isn't something you get just "get over" if you've got 2 fucking brain cells to rub together.

Will you be one of the masses fucking off to live in other countries once Scotland becomes independent?  :wave: :wave: :wave: Or are you one of the numpties that actually thinks it won't happen?

It won't happen - but if it does, Yes I will be fucking off somewhere else and will sadly watch Scotland go down the tubes from afar.

Had the shoe been on other foot and the Yessers had won said referendum... I'm making a wild stab in the dark that you'd have been one of the first to say FFS get over it.

Such hostility towards the concept of home rule.

To see bleakness in a possibility is a Scottish trait, undoubtedly.

But to openly declare support for No is to declare trust, if not support for Westminster.

That's what I don't get.

I knew most people are thick and so the 55% is no surprise.

But rather than hearing the same old politician lies, I'm genuinely intrigued to hear from one of the 55% why they trust the establishment?

Is it the media? Is it their Eton accents? Was it their parents conditioning?

How on earth in this day and age an intelligent Scotsman can vote No is beyond me. What did they miss? What do they think, if indeed they are capable of critical thinking. How can anybody NOT see through our history and the corruption of the political establishment?

Amazing.

It won't happen - but if it does, Yes I will be fucking off somewhere else and will sadly watch Scotland go down the tubes from afar.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing::wave: :wave: :wave: Don't let the door hit your arse on your way oot.

Had the shoe been on other foot and the Yessers had won said referendum... I'm making a wild stab in the dark that you'd have been one of the first to say FFS get over it.

Your wild stab would be wholly incorrect. Unlike 99.9% of No voters (and, I'm sure some Yes voters too) I am actually able to grasp how big a decision this was/is and, as you're aware, have been unable to just passively dismiss it.

But to openly declare support for No is to declare trust, if not support for Westminster.

That's what I don't get.

But rather than hearing the same old politician lies, I'm genuinely intrigued to hear from one of the 55% why they trust the establishment?

How on earth in this day and age an intelligent Scotsman can vote No is beyond me. What did they miss? What do they think, if indeed they are capable of critical thinking. How can anybody NOT see through our history and the corruption of the political establishment?

Amazing.

That's British nationalism for you. Meanwhile they're shouting out about how Scottish Nationalism is poisonous. Aye it's poisonous to you aforementioned British wankfucks.

That's what I don't get.

Amazing.

I can see why people voted No. I didn't, and was never going to, but the SNP "vision" was just a Scottish version of the status quo. It was truly fuckin dire. They avoided the currency issue like the plague, because the most obvious and best solution for Scotland - creating its own currency - was unpalatable for most economy-spakkers. The complete and utter lack of vision in the white paper was staggering, and the failure to mention issues such as resource use, the environment, work-automation - i.e. the massive head-in-the-sand topics for our UK government meant we were essentially voting for PR in order that we could get a better option after independence. I suspect many people saw a Scottish establishment replacing a UK one, and they could be forgiven for thinking that. So for many, the changes presented weren't worth the risk where the debt-fuelled status quo for most people is being a job-loss away from losing your house, marriage, car etc. The SNP - because it was all about the SNP - didn't nearly do enough to reassure people that there'd be a safety net, that the right of the person would trump those of the corporation and that the state would provide the fall-back if things didn't go swimmingly.

When you're selling something as big as the SNP were, it's not good enough to say that we're capable of running things, so don't worry. You need to give people the scenario if things don't go well for them too. The SNP still haven't provided that, nor have they produced a credible currency option. They're relying on things getting so bad under Westminster - either through a financial crash or a Euro exit - that they'll get a back-door referendum 2. At which point they'll dust down The White Paper and sell us the same stunted vision. Voting Yes required/requires a hell of a lot of trust, assumption and vision that many people weren't/aren't willing to give or can visualise. I would suggest a lot of people voted No through scepticism rather than stupidity.

That's a good argument. I also regret the weakness of the SNP's presentation but I wasn't voting for them.

New currency and EEC-free was what I wanted, issues that were far too radical for the electorate to consider. I wanted independence to mean truly independent.

I don't buy the "scottish establishment" line. There isn't one. There's nothing near the same extent as the aristocratic, public-school, London club culture that has bred a self-serving elite political ruling class in Engerlund. We don't have neither the same institutions nor the history to breed a new corruption post-independence. Plus, being a smaller country, any self-serving would be easily exposed.

That alone was a big factor in my support for home-rule. Not just the transparency of a smaller company/ organisation/ nation being easier to run than a larger one but the inherent integrity of the Scottish people, weegies, fifers, neds and work-shy welfare-state institutionalised scum aside. And boy do we have a load of them! Again though, easier to tackle - i.e. sterilise or clandestinely exterminate - when the population is a tenth the size.

How else can we get a Republic of Aberdonia? Got to get Scottish Independence first. Then we can arm ourselves with Nukes and tell the rest of the fuckers to dee fit they're telt.

I voted yes for many reasons but top of the list was never be ruled by tories ever again.  I was really surprised the yes campaign didn't put up billboards with pictures of thatcher, portillo, tebbit, IDS, Osbourne and Cameron with the tag "never have to tolerate their like again"

I voted yes for many reasons but top of the list was never be ruled by tories ever again.  I was really surprised the yes campaign didn't put up billboards with pictures of thatcher, portillo, tebbit, IDS, Osbourne and Cameron with the tag "never have to tolerate their like again"

I see no difference between the Tories and Blair, Brown, the Milibands, Andy Burnham, Harman et al.

It's the institutionalised cuntishness that's wrong, not the one or the other.

Much as I believe in the integrity of Corbyn, it's never going to happen. He's not the man to break the mould. A good heart only goes so far. This McDonnell cunt is indeed embarrassing. Integrity without nous is unenforceable. This is a golden fart happening. Corbyn hasn't got support from any do-ers. Only idealists. Any cunt can think. It takes balls to change stuff. He's fucked already. Unfortunately.

With hindsight the Yes campaing should have tried to win by any means necessary like what the No campaign reverted to. The No campaign didn't hesitate to spout whatever lies they felt would help their cause where as Yes, naively, didn't do that.

Remember when Darling said "Vote No for faster, better change in Scotland"?  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

With hindsight the Yes campaing should have tried to win by any means necessary like what the No campaign reverted to. The No campaign didn't hesitate to spout whatever lies they felt would help their cause where as Yes, naively, didn't do that.

Remember when Darling said "Vote No for faster, better change in Scotland"?  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There's no way the Yes campaign could have out-lied a Westminster and Murdoch/Rothemere etc backed lie campaign. Nor did they need to. PR alone was good enough to vote Yes for if we'd had our own currency. That would have put us on a level starting point with every other sovereign country in the world, but with a fair voting system. An instant step up from being part of the FPTP UK.

Fit are everyone's thoughts on the EU referendum then? In or oot?

I'm swaying toward out at the moment. Not in an immigration/Faragey type way though. I just think it's a shambles. A TTIP loving shambles, which has forgotten - or never had - many of the progressive leanings that it is lauded for. I don't believe we (Europe, as a whole) need it for trade, or human rights and I think it's grown to the stage where it's too big to change and move forward. The ECB is basically a political wing of the German government, and the politicians are owned by corporations - it's a scaled up version of Westminster in my opinion.

Fit are everyone's thoughts on the EU referendum then? In or oot?

I'm swaying toward out at the moment. Not in an immigration/Faragey type way though. I just think it's a shambles. A TTIP loving shambles, which has forgotten - or never had - many of the progressive leanings that it is lauded for. I don't believe we (Europe, as a whole) need it for trade, or human rights and I think it's grown to the stage where it's too big to change and move forward. The ECB is basically a political wing of the German government, and the politicians are owned by corporations - it's a scaled up version of Westminster in my opinion.

I don't know enough about it to be honest, but something I intend to learn more about.  Though I would agree about your last sentence, that much is clear.  I know we always joke (I certainly do to my german friend - and even they agree) that it's just a more acceptable way of them taking over Europe.  That doesn't really bother me though.  I don't think it would really bother me if we were in or out of the EU.