Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

On this day

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlights from Sportscene on the night of that game.

Great post Bobby.

Just spent the last half hour watching that.

Fair brings back the memories, and you and the Rocket are right, Neale Cooper was running about lashing out like a fucking maniac particularly in the first half.

That was brilliant, loved the bit when Butcher was blatantly time wasting...followed by our winning goal 20 seconds later.

Also love the old VHS video crackles working their way down the screen, I miss those bad boys.

Great post BB, what a team, what a game, what a support, great memories.

Souness supposedly whipped Cooper into a frenzy before the match because he had been training with us and we had decided not to sign him - Souness was giving it the "you're not good enough for this lot" and he was clearly losing the plot on the park.

Have to say I really enjoyed Simmie toeing the ball into Brown's stones and then McKimmie punting that diving prick Walters into the air. Good old fashioned football with two teams just getting on with kicking lumps out of each other. Hewitt's tackle at the end was rather enjoyable too.

How many sides after that would our players have looked out for each other in the manner that team did? As soon as those manky bastards were at Simmie Miller, McLeish, McKimmie were in about it. Maybe the teams from then up until 1993 or so, but I'm really struggling to think of teams after that who would have fought for each other in that manner. Part of the overall problem I suppose.

And, how good was Charlie Nicholas?

Souness supposedly whipped Cooper into a frenzy before the match

Was there not a similar story about Ferguson winding cooper up for a week before a Celtic match, only allowing him to say the words 'Charlie Nicholas' in training? I'm sure the story goes that within seconds of kick off Nicholas was taken out by a red blur, and went on to have a pretty quiet game.

Amazing how you forget certain things with the passage of time, like the fact that we actually took Cooper back to Pittodrie after his spell with them, even though he never actually played for us during that second spell.

I don't even remember him having a 2nd spell with us.

I don't even remember him having a 2nd spell with us.

In the 1988–89 season, he transferred to the now defunct Rangers but injuries restricted him to only seventeen league appearances. In the summer of 1990, he re-joined Aberdeen but was never fit to play. Next season he signed for Reading but after only seven appearances moved to Dunfermline Athletic where he at last was able to play regularly. After three seasons in the First Division, he moved into management with Ross County

In the 1988–89 season, he transferred to the now defunct Rangers but injuries restricted him to only seventeen league appearances. In the summer of 1990, he re-joined Aberdeen but was never fit to play. Next season he signed for Reading but after only seven appearances moved to Dunfermline Athletic where he at last was able to play regularly. After three seasons in the First Division, he moved into management with Ross County

I don't remember that either - I knew he was training with us after Villa but we never signed him and the huns got him. Have no recollection of him signing for us in 1990 at all.

10th October 1903

The newly formed Aberdeen 'A'team make their debut at Pittodrie Park in a friendly win over Citadel of Inverness. Barron & Wilson scored the goals.

So BigAl was Barron any good?

Shite, but loads of pace, a real flyer...in fact the original Red........

Get it  ;)

• 1 month later...