Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

On this day

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen 6 Rangers 0. This day 1954. Scottish Cup Semi Final.

:ultras:

Joe O'Neil scored a hat trick that day, which is amazing in its self but check this out:

Joe had suffered a depressed fracture of the skull in a game against Falkirk only three weeks earlier but declared himself fit for the game against Rangers, against the doctor's advice

Poofs the lot of them. In my glittering 5 and 7 - a - side career I got my foot broken in two places in a tackle 10 minutes into the game. I played on because I'm a fucking committed cunt and went on to score a hat-trick before going off half an hour later. Fuck me it was sair the next day.  :hammer:

Poofs the lot of them. In my glittering 5 and 7 - a - side career I got my foot broken in two places in a tackle 10 minutes into the game. I played on because I'm a fucking committed cunt and went on to score a hat-trick before going off half an hour later. Fuck me it was sair the next day.  :hammer:

You'll not be going back to those two places in a hurry then.

• 4 weeks later...

Same, the bounce for Theo's save is up there in "Greatest Ever Bounce" and it abruptly ended as everyone realised our next taker happened to be big Irvine...  ;)

I can only imagine the pessimism everyone felt before the ball hit the back of the net

Nerves rather than pessimism I'd say, he took it rather superbly though  :thumbsup:

This was actually the very first football match i ever watched all the way through.  Looking at it now it might actually have been better for my life if we had lost that shoot out.  Potentially i could have decided that AFC were not worth the effort and saved myself years of misery

If I remember it was a god-awful 120mins before the shootout

Yeah, not many chances. Nicholas had one cleared off the line in the first half and Gillhaus hit the side netting in the second but not much else happened. Don't remember Snelders making a save other than rogan's pen.

Have to look at the quality of the penalty kicks and I put Theo's save as one of the greatest Penalties saves of all time.

These days either the goalkeepers have dramatically improved or the top players cant handle the pressure mounted on them to score from 12 yards. Its almost a special skill

It could be down to the excessive coverage of the game but I seem to recall a penalty being saved or missed as being almost headline news. Now it seems to be a regular occurrence

Same, the bounce for Theo's save is up there in "Greatest Ever Bounce" and it abruptly ended as everyone realised our next taker happened to be big Irvine...  ;)

There was a lot of whispered - "oh Christ it's Dobbin next"  around our section. 

I never used to realise just how fortunate a young man I was to be an Aberdeen fan and to see the team win so many trophies.