Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

On this day

I remember at the final, it was before drinking on the street was banned in Glasgow, and a whole bunch of Dundee and Aberdeen fans were quite happily drinking together on the grassy bank (if memory serves, near to where ASDA is now) which was the last place you could have booze before the stadium.

This wee ned gets his vauxhall nova (or similar) with ridiculously oversized spoiler and exhaust got stuck in traffic, right in front of the crowd. Presumably having forgotten what day it was, he had decided to wear his rangers (remember them?) top, and when the crowd spotted this, an extremely localised shower of half-empty beer cans formed on the bonnet and roof of his car.

The best part was there was absolutely nothing he could do but sit and take it until the traffic loosened up enough and he could pull a three pointer and speed away.

Two cops came slowly walking down from the stadium, with the air of not really being arsed doing anything about it, but by the time they got there it was all over and everybody had assumed an innocent look of "who us? Nah, wouldn't hurt a fly, mate. Look, we're even sitting drinking with the other lot."

That was a chuckle.

:lolabove: I wish I'd seen that! My memories from that day are sketchy at best. I was only 10 years old at the time. I do remember going down on the BoD supporters bus and being surprised about how quiet everyone was on the way back up the road!

I also won a tenner on the bus sweeper that day. A tenner was a lot of money to me then. What a day!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went down on a bus from Banchory with my bro.  First away game and first trip so far a field without my parents (although I think one of my dad's mates was meant to be keeping an eye on us)  Being 15 and my bro 12 we didn't head to any pubs pre match and I remember hanging about the East End of the stadium counting down the minutes till the gates opened. 

Great day, great support, great goals and Glass won a moutain bike as MotM bizarrely. 

I was also surprised by how quiet the bus was on the way back, and indeed the crowd as we left the stadium, suppose even then it was taken as a routine cup win over some shite from Tayside.

The atmosphere on the bus was probably dampened more than it might otherwise have been by the fact on the the way out of Glasgow some ned lobbed a brick at our bus, shattering the window.  It didn't fall in straight away but about 30mins up the road we had to pull over and knock the window out.

Needless to say a Journey back up to Deeside, in November with a missing window wasnae much fun.

Still, great day.

I went down on a bus from Banchory with my bro.  First away game and first trip so far a field without my parents (although I think one of my dad's mates was meant to be keeping an eye on us)  Being 15 and my bro 12 we didn't head to any pubs pre match and I remember hanging about the East End of the stadium counting down the minutes till the gates opened. 

Great day, great support, great goals and Glass won a moutain bike as MotM bizarrely. 

I was also surprised by how quiet the bus was on the way back, and indeed the crowd as we left the stadium, suppose even then it was taken as a routine cup win over some shite from Tayside.

The atmosphere on the bus was probably dampened more than it might otherwise have been by the fact on the the way out of Glasgow some ned lobbed a brick at our bus, shattering the window.  It didn't fall in straight away but about 30mins up the road we had to pull over and knock the window out.

Needless to say a Journey back up to Deeside, in November with a missing window wasnae much fun.

Still, great day.

Also recall it being pretty quiet as we left the stadium. Few guys were singing (or rather staggering and getting the odd 'we're reeeee.........d' before having to steady themselves. My dad was surprised that the fans were not segregated on the trains out to Mount Florida and even after the game there were a few Dundee fans mixed in.

The train back to Aberdeen was mobbed too even though it left about 9 ish. My Dad then turfed the 1995 equivalent of the GUASC out of our seats too.

Shite claim to fame is when watching the highlights just as Glass goes past his marker to cross for Shearer you can see me waving my flag. 5 years later said flag was lost on some bus back from the hibs semi final which i didnt even attend. Learned that day to never lend anyone a piece of sentimental memorabilia.  :hammer:

I remember going to this one too. Would have been living in Moray at the time and drove down with a couple of friends. I remember the mad dash back up the A9 to try to get home whilst there was a bar open somewhere so we could celebrate, amazed I didn't get nicked that day!

We were singing like mad in the car, scarves oot the window and all that pish. Never thought at the time it would be our last trophy...........for now ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:-*

How could I have forgotten about that......fucking hell twenty nine years ago  :o

Bet MBT was there as well ;)

I was there,  I was only 9 so my memories are kind of blurred. But I remember thinking the same that this was the norm to be beating the best teams in Europe.