Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Brown: This isn't my team

This is not yet my Dons team, says manager Brown

By Paul Third

Published: 05/07/2011

Bookmark with:  CRAIG Brown hopes to add at least two more players to his squad before the start of the season, but the manager insists this is still not his Aberdeen team.

Colombian goalkeeper David Gonzalez will join fellow newcomers Isaac Osbourne, Youl Mawene and Chris Clark at the club’s training camp in Holland today, but Brown believes it is too early to label his squad his own.

He said: “It is a fallacy to believe this is my team. The supporters say this is my team now, but it will take four or five transfer windows before I would call the team my own.

For the full story, pick up a copy of today’s Press and Journal or read our digital edition now

Imagine the uproar had McGhee said this.

Did he not say something very similar, in as much as he wanted 11 new players at one point  ???

I'm reading this as Brown wants to move just about everybody out but figures it is going to take 2+ years to find the money, finish the contracts on those who no-one would buy from us, find replacements etc.

But I do admit, my first thought was - getting his excuses in early !

Think this is clearly a slow news day.  Guys been in charge for 6 months and is exactly where he should be.

Holland?

In all seriousness, it was reported elsewhere today that Brown has said that there are still quite a few players he'd like to get rid of. 

Who do you reckon then?

Holland?

In all seriousness, it was reported elsewhere today that Brown has said that there are still quite a few players he'd like to get rid of. 

Who do you reckon then?

realistically, would we disagree with him though? I'd argue, consi, mccardle, mackie and Paton?

What i mean is he's in the job six months, had time to take stock and is now looking at how to shape the team in the manner he wants. 

As for who he wants out the door i would hazard a guess at mackie and  paton, maybe mcardle too

realistically, would we disagree with him though? I'd argue, consi, mccardle, mackie and Paton?

Not fussed about this comment in the slightest, I'm sure CB is too experienced and far too long in the tooth to not have made it perfectly clear to the Aberdeen squad which players are part of "his" team and challenged others to prove to him they should be part of "his" team.

I also doubt Considine is one of those hinted at, wasn't the comment from Brown when he came something along the lines of "Andy is a far better player than he believes he is"? Which would suggest that even if Broon does think he might not be up to the task he's not likely to come out in this manner to give him a kick up the arse.

Did he not say something very similar, in as much as he wanted 11 new players at one point  ???

I'm reading this as Brown wants to move just about everybody out but figures it is going to take 2+ years to find the money, finish the contracts on those who no-one would buy from us, find replacements etc.

But I do admit, my first thought was - getting his excuses in early !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/8604546.stm

Saturday's defeat by Kilmarnock finally ended the Reds' hopes of reaching the top six of the Scottish Premier League.

"I've said all along that I'm here to rebuild and strengthen and it takes transfer windows to do that," he said.

McGhee is hoping that he will be able to improve his squad in the summer to make sure the Dons enjoy a better campaign next season.

"I had no opportunity to do it at Christmas because I had no flexibility in our budget," he added.

"We brought a couple of player in on loan who have not done as well as we would have hoped.

If we had had Sone and Zander we would have been five or six points better off

Mark McGhee laments the absence of two key players

"So this summer when players are out of contract and likely to leave, I will have money free in the budget which I will try and spend in order to rebuild a squad that will be more competitive next season.

"At the very beginning I was asked how long it was going to take and I said 18 months to two years, three or four transfer windows, and at this moment in time we are on schedule."