Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Managers in Scotland

• 3 weeks later...

"He's smarter than the average bear"

Considering your average "bear" is barely literate and drags his knuckles on the ground whilst singing about paddling about in a vessel containing blood that reaches halfway up their legs...

Mr Hughes on the other hand....

• 2 weeks later...

Csaba Laszlo (ex Hearts manager) to be appointed at Arabs. He did okay on his first season at Hearts from memory.

I thought that was because he was mates with somebody that kent Vlad? I didn't realise he was an actual manager. Although, joining the arabs isn't necessarily confirmation of that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following on from the other Scotland thread, you can’t give the boy O’Neill grief for leaving NI. It’s his home nation and they’re offering a better deal. I think he wants to come back to club management as well, so a national job with major scrutiny from the off wouldn’t be appealing.

As for our nations boss, I’d quite like someone with SPL experience. All they really need to be is a coach at the end of the day; and someone with the balls to play domesticly based players would have my vote. They’ll care and give more than the faceless pointless call ups we have been making!

• 3 weeks later...

I see Ross is in talks with Barnsley at the mo, that’ll put an end to him ever succeeding McInnes if he’s successful then.

Going there will net him a hefty pay rise but realistically will it ever improve his stock and get him an even better job in future? Right now they are sitting in one of the relegation positions in the Championship with Hull, Birmingham and Bolton sitting right above them, all of whom possess far greater resources. If he kept them up this season he would be hailed in a similar way Alex Neil was when he got Norwich promoted in his first 6 months.

However if he did keep them up he still faces the prospect of managing a club which in financial terms is probably still going to be in the bottom 3 comparatively against his rivals, regardless of who comes up from League 1. I doubt anyone would ever expect Barnsley to ever be serious challengers for promotion to the Premier League but their board and support would probably want to see a manager keep them comfortably mid table to be regarded as a success. But on a budget far less than 90% or more than their rivals.

And if, as is a more likely scenario, they drop down to League 1 at the end of this season, the only scenario their board will tolerate is instant promotion back up. If they weren't in the top 6 of League 1 at this point next season ( and within 9-10 points of the top team) it's highly likely he would be facing the bullet and returning back north of the border with his reputation tarnished.

I hope he thinks very carefully before jumping ship.