Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Managers in Scotland

The Real Kashmir documentary was hilarious. Davie Robertson was a winner, the best LB I've ever seen at Pittodrie and in his role as manager, he's living up to his Psycho moniker. He's a dinosaur and the lament at the end about no offers coming in for him from Scotland ain't gonna change any year soon. But like Lennon and unlike McInnes, he had a great football career. He's like Lennon and unlike McInnes in many other respects too but unlike McInnes and even worse than Lennon, he's not the sharpest tool in the box. McInnes uses his sleekit bullshitness to carve a wage from a cunt of a chairman and we stupid fuckers have been facilitating it.

Surprised any of his players could understand a word he was saying. Just swore at them constantly even when he was happy with them. Shame the political violence is possibly going to stop them winning the league with their next home game being shifted to a neutral venue in New Delhi. Looks a fascinating place to live and work if a bit dangerous.

Absolute cunt of a man. I can understand guys like Dougie Bell, Stephen Wright and even the Rat signing for oldco/sevco directly from us as they all grew up as supporters of the Hun clubs but Robertson grew up a Dandy and knew exactly what signing for them would do to his reputation. It's not as if he didn't have other clubs after him either.....Leeds wanted him and had he chosen to go down south he would have left with our best wishes ( and would likely have had the option to return to us for 2 or 3 years at the back end of his career should he have wanted to). Signing for oldco meant he could never return.

I remember being at Dens Park the season before he left and heard a conversation between a couple of our fans, one of whom seemed to know him and his family. Rumours of oldco interest were gathering pace....this boy assured the other that there was not a cats chance in hell that he would ever sign for them. He obviously didn't know him that well...

The Real Kashmir documentary was hilarious. Davie Robertson was a winner, the best LB I've ever seen at Pittodrie and in his role as manager, he's living up to his Psycho moniker. He's a dinosaur and the lament at the end about no offers coming in for him from Scotland ain't gonna change any year soon. But like Lennon and unlike McInnes, he had a great football career. He's like Lennon and unlike McInnes in many other respects too but unlike McInnes and even worse than Lennon, he's not the sharpest tool in the box. McInnes uses his sleekit bullshitness to carve a wage from a cunt of a chairman and we stupid fuckers have been facilitating it.

McInnes had a very good playing career though. Not as good as Lennon or Robertson, but better than a hell of a lot of others. Captain of West Brom (to promotion from the championship and into the EPL), Arabs, Millwall* and St Johnstone. He was clearly a decent player and a leader on the pitch.

*With Nigel Spackman saying: "Every Millwall player on that pitch should be a Derek McInnes." when he signed him at age 34.

• 1 month later...

Part of me feels sorry for McLeish but he was never right for the position when he was given it.

Heads should have rolled over the O'Neill fiasco.

Patently McLeish was second choice (at best), the support never backed him and frankly he has proved he was never up to the position in the first place.

Against that, if someone came along when you were out of work and offered you a nice little contract, then I would suggest all of us would take it.

I have zero faith in those in the corridors of power to get this right with the next appointment.

Who would want it ?

Who would take it ?

Who is available that is a reasonable option ?

Fucked if I know, looks like another wait to qualify for a major tournament is on the cards and my apathy towards the national team will continue.

Davie Moyes has expressed an interest. Probably the best we can hope for in the circumstances but my concern would be that if he steadied the ship and got a few reasonable results, he would be offski the minute an English club (not necessarily even EPL level) came calling.

Having said that.............he might not be interested for too long  on finding out the wages the SFA pay in comparison to other national associations. My concern would be that we end up with someone like Owen Coyle, or even worse, Fat Sally. My faith in the SFA to get this right is almost non-existant.

It's a weird one like. I was reasonably positive/hopeful when he was appointed until I heard his first couple of interviews. It was like he had completely forgotten why he wanted to be a manager. He's never been the most articulate, but there was always a visible confidence and determination about him and that just seemed to have gone. To the extent that if you'd interviewed him there's no way that you could have looked beyond it. Nothing like the manager that we had first time around. Shame like. His approach to playing players from Scotland was refreshing (and exactly what many fans have been crying out for) and, annoyingly, the next manager will revert to championship subs further distancing the national game from the league game. A better manager would have managed those SPL players to a far better standard, so it's frustrating that playing SPL players will be the easy target.

I think Strachan will get the gig again. I fucking hope not, obviously. You could be right with Malky though Rocket, but I don't see him as any better a manager than some Owen Coyle chunt. But that is based on very little evidence whatsoever, I've never paid that much attention to him.

I don't know that much about Malky really and he wouldn't have even been in the frame for me but for two reasons. Working within the SFA (in whatever the fuck he's been doing) at least means the personality is known and I suspect he's a stable, diligent type. The bigger reason for me was how well organised we were when he was caretaker and we beat Holland at Pittodrie. Plus he had the balls to try something different. Playing Ryan Jack at RB was inspired, something beyond my imagination and it worked superbly. That's been the only time in many times of watching Jack that I ever considered him capable of being an excellent footballer, instead of the mostly competent, sometimes good and rarely very good as he was.

I don't know that much about Malky really and he wouldn't have even been in the frame for me but for two reasons. Working within the SFA (in whatever the fuck he's been doing) at least means the personality is known and I suspect he's a stable, diligent type. The bigger reason for me was how well organised we were when he was caretaker and we beat Holland at Pittodrie. Plus he had the balls to try something different. Playing Ryan Jack at RB was inspired, something beyond my imagination and it worked superbly. That's been the only time in many times of watching Jack that I ever considered him capable of being an excellent footballer, instead of the mostly competent, sometimes good and rarely very good as he was.

Don't think we did like. Although I was pleasantly surprised at how much better we were that night than I thought we'd be.

Canna mind. It might have been a draw but it (the performance) felt like a win despite the meaninglessness of the fixture.

Edit: oops, we got beat! Still, it was a very good performance.

It was a narrow (1-0) defeat as far as I remember. The booing of the Snake was the highlight for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

McIntyre punted by Dundee about 8 weeks to late. Was a very odd appointment in the first place.

He was unlucky to have been punted at Ross Co. So probably deserved his chance at a (slightly) bigger club. But Dundee can congratulate themselves on effectively ending the managerial careers (at a decent level) of 2 guys in 8 months

He was unlucky to have been punted at Ross Co. So probably deserved his chance at a (slightly) bigger club. But Dundee can congratulate themselves on effectively ending the managerial careers (at a decent level) of 2 guys in 8 months

Think McIntyre made a fine job of ruining his career himself. Dundee fans I know had been saying for months he was a disastrous appointment and would take them down.

A lot of noise on Social Media from columnists/journalists for smaller, more independent newspapers etc... that McInnes is seriously considering the Scotland job, added to the fact that he's allegedly their top target, despite what has been reported elsewhere regarding Steve Clarke.

Interesting one this, as far as I'm aware, a few players have already signed pre-contracts ( will be announced after Hibs ) so if there was any truth in his decision regarding Scotland, surely players wouldn't agree to come on a pre-contract?

Anyone think he'll take it? If he's even offered it, bookies making McInnes & Clarke strong favourites, everyone else is not even close when it comes to the odds, so I do expect an approach from the people responsible for hiring.

Lets face it, if he did go, now's the right time, lets a new manager in before the season starts, he can asses what's left of the squad and implement his own ideas etc... in Pre-Season as well as recruit his own players.

I believe the SFA should be chasing McInnes, his record at Aberdeen should be enough to have them interested. It would also be a good time for him to move on from us as both he and the club are becoming a bit stale and I don't think he will get anything which is a step up from Aberdeen club wise for the foreseeable future, so the national managers job could well give him the chance to move back up the career ladder long term, IF he were to make a success of it and I think he would do a good job.

Of all the current Scottish managers, McInnes and Clarke are without doubt the guys who have the strongest case. You can probably throw in Moyes as well in recognition of his past exploits with Everton (though it has been underwhelming at best for the last 4 years).

However I dont think either of DM or Clarke will take the job. Clarke wants back down south to be with his family. And DM is finally landing the training ground he has craved since he joined. FWIW i believe he has taken us as far as he can and it would be a good time go our seperate ways but when Mcinnes does eventually leave us, he's made no secret of the fact he wants another crack at management in England. Although there appears little evidence recently that after turning down Sunderand that English management wants another crack at Mcinnes.

Had he been 10 years older I think he would jump at the appointment. But unless Moyes lands a club job in the summer, I think that is who will end up taking it.

Had he been 10 years older I think he would jump at the appointment. But unless Moyes lands a club job in the summer, I think that is who will end up taking it.

I'm not sure the age thing really holds true for a manager moving from the SPFL to the Scotland job though. It's a comparatively quick route to the EPL all things considered. McInnes should be seriously considering it like. Win two fixtures in the play-offs and you're the first Scottish manager this century to qualify for the euros. You'd be an instant hero and an instant target for bigger clubs than you'd ever be considered for managing in the SPFL. He's got the confidence in his own ability, so he'll believe he can improve on McLeish (coming in after McLeish is also a good time to take it). Players like him, so he wouldn't face the call-offs. His prior hun background gains him the backing of the establishment and the press. His lack of actual hunnishness makes him completely fine in the Tim book also. Returning to club management is a simple case of saying "I prefer the day-to-day work involved at club level" and you're good to go.

I don't see a downside for him to be honest. Avoids the massive re-build that he'd leave behind too. Unless AFC are offering him an astronomical budget then he's caught in a rut. We're not going to match the scum financially to proceed in the league, and evidence suggests that he's probably not got the style (of play) to win trophies as the underdog, so he'd be reliant on - at least - the tims being knocked out by someone else in a prior round.

I think people forget that Mcinnes, whatever you think of him, has genuine love for our club.  Can't see him going anywhere for a while yet.

FWIW I like McInnes but that doesn't mean I don't think he's gone as far as he can with us. Having said that I'd develop strong feeling for Rangers if they paid me £12k a week for my limited ability.