Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

Is it a case of him not seeing it or rather protecting him? Every run of games he's had has ended with a month or two on the sidelines, might be for the best if we ease him back into the team.

Broon stated at the NOTW roadshow that Pawlett was suffering from a knee injury which flared up after a couple of days training or a game which therefore means he has to sit out the next one.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only really shown what he can do this season and I think he would be silly to move. However, I won't lose much sleep over him going.

Nor shall I. He has always shown flashes of what he may be capable of doing but never with any consistency. He has played better this season but I have seen nothing to make me think he will not be easily replaceable if he does leave. See him scoring against us for Dundee United in a couple of seasons when his big move to the championship does not work out.

Maguire weighs up his options

Dons hope to keep attacker but agent says the time could be right for a new challenge

By Michael Gannon

Published: 23/03/2011

Aberdeen have dismissed the suggestion attacker Chris Maguire has rejected an improved offer to extend his contract in the summer.

The 22-year-old’s deal expires at the end of the season and agent Willie McKay last night claimed the player had knocked back the Pittodrie club’s latest proposal.

The Dons believe otherwise.

Maguire, who is with the Scotland squad in La Manga, Spain, in the countdown to Sunday’s international against Brazil, met manager Craig Brown, director of football Willie Miller and chief executive Duncan Fraser last Friday where he received an increased offer.

The forward was told to consider the deal while away with the national team and the club has yet to be informed of any decision either way, contrary to agent McKay’s claims.

McKay said last night: “Chris has rejected Aberdeen's latest contract offer as it stands. Chris understands the current economics in Scottish football but he feels the offer does not match what he feels he deserves.

“Chris has been at Aberdeen for 10 years and maybe the time is right for a new challenge.

“I am talking to a number of clubs about Chris and we will decide what is the best option for him.”

As far as the Dons are concerned, the negotiations are continuing.

Maguire has attracted interest from several clubs in England but none came in during the January transfer window and he has yet to be offered a pre-contract.

Brown is refusing to concede defeat and still hopes he can prolong the player’s stay at Pittodrie.

The former Scotland manager said: “We are determined to keep Chris Maguire. It is very difficult to compete with some of the finances spoken about but we have made him a very competitive offer. There is also the issue of compensation which will have to be addressed if he does decide to go.”

The player has remained non-committal throughout the saga but has never ruled out extending his deal. He said: “We are still speaking.”

He is one of a number of players who are coming to the end of their deals at Pittodrie. Talks have started with midfielders Rob Milsom and Derek Young, defender Zander Diamond, goalkeeper Jamie Langfield and attacker Sone Aluko, while Brown is also keen on keeping loan defender Stevie Smith and forward Michael Paton.

Brown wants all player negotiations to be on hold until after the Scottish Cup semi-final against Celtic on Sunday, April 17.

If Chris Maguire (and his retarded agent) can't see the benefits of another 2 years working under coaches like Brown and Knox, he deserves what's coming to him. 

As dons fans, we've seen this situation countless times before, but how many former afc players can truthfully say a move away from Pittodrie worked out as they expected?  The grass isn't always greener, and I fear Maguire will learn that the hard way.

Good luck to him.

If Chris Maguire (and his retarded agent) can't see the benefits of another 2 years working under coaches like Brown and Knox, he deserves what's coming to him. 

As dons fans, we've seen this situation countless times before, but how many former afc players can truthfully say a move away from Pittodrie worked out as they expected?  The grass isn't always greener, and I fear Maguire will learn that the hard way.

Good luck to him.

Chris Clark was in one of the papers at the weekend saying much the same thing (not specifically about Maguire though).  Not that Maguire or his agent will listen to common sense when there is a buck to be made.

Appreciate we have a cup semi final on 17th of next month, but can we really afford to place all contract talks on hold until after that. In the unlikely event that we actually turn up for this one and get a result, what then ? Do we then put contract talks on hold further until after cup final  ??? We would be at the end of the season and have a number of players still to decide their future. Risky business if you ask me. Surely this is just the public comment from Messrs Brown and Knox and in reality we will surely be working away in the background.

Appreciate we have a cup semi final on 17th of next month, but can we really afford to place all contract talks on hold until after that. In the unlikely event that we actually turn up for this one and get a result, what then ? Do we then put contract talks on hold further until after cup final  ??? We would be at the end of the season and have a number of players still to decide their future. Risky business if you ask me. Surely this is just the public comment from Messrs Brown and Knox and in reality we will surely be working away in the background.

I'm guessing they're delaying the announcement about inevitable departures until absolutely necessary, just to try and keep a feel-good factor among the fans.  It's all PR bollocks, they think we're all stupid.

Aberdeen's Craig Brown hopeful of Chris Maguire deal

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown insists Chris Maguire has still not turned down a new deal with the club.

The striker's agent, Willie McKay, has been quoted as saying the 22-year-old has rejected an improved offer to extend his contract in the summer.

Brown confirmed that Maguire had gone away to think over the terms.

"Hopefully, Chris will come back and discuss it with us. I wouldn't imagine him doing anything without a full discussion back at Pittodrie," he said.

Maguire is currently in La Manga with the Scotland squad for a training camp ahead of Sunday's friendly against Brazil.

But Dons' director of football, Willie Miller, and chief executive Duncan Fraser spoke to him before he left on Friday, as did Brown.

"They gave him a new, improved offer," said Brown. "I think it was verbal. He went away to consider it.

"Agents are part and parcel of the game now and we've got to accept that.

"I've been dealing with agents for the last decade, so I know what's involved and what can happen.

"But hopefully Chris will come back and speak to us personally and hopefully we'll get things ironed out."

Brown earlier this week confirmed to BBC Scotland that he was keeping an eye on Brechin City striker Rory McAllister and has now also admitted his interest in midfielder Steve Jennings, from the Dons boss's previous club, Motherwell.

"When I'm asked about players, such as Rory McAllister, I say 'yes, we've looked at him'," Brown told his club website. "We're interested in all good players.

"Jennings is in the same category. The mention of Jennings and Aberdeen came from his agent I understand, it didn't come from us.

"Steve Jennings is a good player and we would be interested in him if he was available.

"I know his contract is up at the end of the season, but he is a guy from Liverpool and whether he wants to stay in Scotland or not, I don't know.

"I personally have not spoken to Steve Jennings about it, so I think we are jumping the gun thinking that Jennings is coming to Aberdeen."

Verbally given him a new offer it seems.

Well they might want to get it down on paper rather quickly as Aberdeen will forfeit the rights to compensation if they don't.

See previous contract offer. Any club will have to pay compo as we have already offered him a contract on paper.

• 1 month later...
The manager was also asked about the latest news on the Chris Maguire situation. Reports in the papers suggested that the Dons had offered the striker a renewed contract.

" I think these are exaggerated reports, I read one which said that I had met with his agent. That is not true.

"I had spoken to his agent. That's true. I did have a chat with his agent yesterday. We tried to see where we were but as you well know I don't handle the budget. That is down to Duncan Fraser and Willie Miller. They do the deals. We identify the players we want, Archie and I, and they make the appropriate financial offer to the player. Chris Maguire

"From what I hear Chris has had a very good offer and hopefully he will consider it favourably. I think the change might have been in the structure of it and maybe the duration of it. Some players want a short duration for their own reasons so that they are free. Others want a longer one. It is more the duration rather than the finance.

"I have always been hopeful that Chris will stay and I still am. I think it would be very much in his own best interest to remain and to progress his career rather than risk going somewhere where he could possibly find himself on the bench or not even selected. He has got to have faith in his own ability which I hope and sincerely believe he has.

"He has got to think that he could play at any level anywhere but he has to bear in mind what has happened with some other players who have gone south. For example Jim O'Brian. Jim has found himself on the bench for most of the season at Barnsley. That would be backward step for Chris Maguire.

From what I get out of that, the boy has been told about how many clubs are interested in him and how much £££'s he's going to get and then reality has now hit and he realises what little clubs are actually going to follow up their initial interest and offer him a contract. So now, he is willing to discuss a new contract but just a 2 year deal which allows this cycle to occur again.

2 year deal is fine by me. After 1 year we can shift him on for a fee if he progresses.

I agree, if he plays out of his skin for two years,  thinking that he is always in the shoppie window (even becoming the 20 a season scorer that we have been craving since Shearer) then more power to us.

He's a reasonably good SPL striker... he'll end up on the bench at some Championship side for stupid money, then he'll come back to Hearts or Hibs or United when it's apparent he's nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

If we can get 300k for him then we should bite the arm off of whoever offers it.

Chris Maguire: I'll stay at Aberdeen if new deal is for two years

May 15 2011 Anthony Haggerty, Sunday Mail

TWO-GOAL hero Chris Maguire last night told Aberdeen he will stay if they shorten the length of deal on offer.

The hitman insisted he is still undecided about his future on the day Jamie Langfield committed himself to Pittodrie for another 12 months.

Maguire, 22, is out of contract this summer and has refused to sign a three-year contract.

But he will put pen to paper if the club reduce the terms to two years.

Maguire said: "I haven't made my mind up. If it is my last goals for Aberdeen, it's a nice way to go.

"It's a three-year deal but I'm trying to narrow that down to a two-year deal. Hopefully something will be sorted in the next week or so."

Dons boss Craig Brown said: "I hope Chris stays. I also urge him to take extreme caution before making any decision.

"JimO'Brien left Motherwell last season and is not getting a game for Barnsley after setting the SPL on fire.

"No matter how brilliant Chris is it is a different ball game in England.

"If I were his dad or agent I'd say 'give it another couple of years and then you go on a big transfer and you're right into a Premiership team and because they've paid £2million for you, they play you'.

"He is in a comfortable environment at Pittodrie and Craig Levein has already picked him so he does not need to go south to play for Scotland.

"Aberdeen have put a lot of time and effort in developing Chris and we would love him to sign a new deal because we could then get a transfer fee for him as he's under 24.

"Chris is a valuable player and if he signs a short-term deal say for a year he can then leave for nothing which might suit him as opposed to leaving for £400,000 which is the development fee we would get."

A 2 year deal is an utter waste to us. If we agree, theoretically, we have one year to sell him on for a bit of money. If we don't, we lose the compo and if he stays till the end of the 2 year deal then we lose him on a free.