Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3903194/Derby-3-Portsmouth-1.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

First start and goal for Derby

chrismaguire1399499a.jpg

CHRIS MAGUIRE pointed the finger at Liam Lawrence over the elbow that left him with blood streaming from his nose.

The Rams ace had to be subbed after the clash with Lawrence left him crumpled in front of the dug-outs midway through the second half.

And the Scottish striker blasted: "It was a full whack. I just tried to take the ball on the outside and he's put his body in front — with an elbow."

Lawrence escaped punishment but Maguire was left fuming.

The 22-year-old revealed: "He's come in afterwards and apologised.

"At the time you don't think much of it. But if he's come in and apologised then you think maybe it was a wee bit deliberate, because you don't really apologise in football if it's an accident. At the time he obviously meant it."

Maguire was patched up with a butterfly stitch in a long gash on his nose.

He added: "Fortunately it isn't broken. It's just bent! I'll be OK for Cardiff on Wednesday — if I'm picked."

It was an unhappy end to an otherwise perfect day for Maguire. He had marked his first league start since moving from Aberdeen in the summer with his first goal.

Maguire ducked in bravely in a melee on the goal-line to bundle home Derby's second after Pompey keeper Stephen Henderson had blocked Theo Robinson's 14th-minute shot.

He said: "I don't know which part of my body it went in off and I don't really care.

"It's not the best goal I've scored — it's probably the scrappiest. But they all count. I'm just delighted to get my first start and to score as well."

Maguire has been forced to bide his time at Pride Park but long-term injuries to Steve Davies and Nathan Tyson have opened the door.

He added: "I've been waiting patiently — well, I've not always been patient. I've been a bit frustrated but I couldn't let people see that. I've come in every day and worked hard in training.

"I've had a word with the gaffer and he's been brilliant with me.

"At the same time the boys have been doing well and winning. So that was a bit of bad luck for me. Hopefully I've shown people what I can do."

Derby's victory ended a run of five games without a win and keeps them firmly in the play-off places.

• 4 months later...
Pompey have signed Scotland international Chris Maguire on a one-month loan from Derby.

The 23-year-old striker – who is available to play in Saturday’s Championship match at Brighton – will wear the number 22 shirt during his time at Fratton Park.

Maguire joined Derby from Aberdeen last summer and has scored two goals in eight appearances for the Rams.

His only Championship strike to date was against Pompey, when the Blues lost 3-1 at Pride Park in October.

Blues boss Michael Appleton said: “Chris is a talented lad who can play in a few different positions. He’s comfortable as a striker, but also out wide in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 system.

“He did very well at Aberdeen, although it’s become a bit stop-start for him at Derby. But I’ve been aware of him for about a year and know how good he is on the ball.

“And he scored against us earlier in the season before I joined the club, so our players will know all about his strengths.”

Maguire won his first full Scotland cap in the Tartan Army’s 2-1 Carling Nations Cup victory over Northern Ireland in February 2011.

• 4 weeks later...
Portsmouth have extended Chris Maguire's loan from npower Championship rivals Derby until the end of the season.

Maguire joined Pompey on an initial month-long deal on March 9 and the striker has scored two goals in six appearances for Michael Appleton's team.

The 23-year-old will be unable to play against Derby on April 21 but will be available for Portsmouth's other five matches as they battle to avoid relegation.

Maguire joined Derby from Aberdeen last summer but has made only three starts and eight appearances in total. His last outing for the Rams was as a substitute in a home defeat to Hull in mid-November.