Aberdeen struggling to agree terms with star striker Chris Maguire, admits WM

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agent’s gag on Maguire claim is rubbished by Aberdeen

dons ready to make young attacker one of pittodrie’s highest earners

Published: 03/02/2011

Aberdeen have offered attacker Chris Maguire a three-year contract extension which would make him one of the highest earners at the club.

Maguire, who has received his first Scotland call to Craig Levein’s squad to face Northern Ireland in Dublin next week, is considering his options and is in no rush to respond.

Aberdeen have rejected suggestions from Maguire’s agent Willie Mackay that they prevented the player from talking to other clubs during the transfer window.

Mackay said: “A number of clubs wanted to sign Chris during January but, due to Aberdeen’s involvement in a number of big games, Chris was unable to speak to any of the interested clubs.

“Obviously Aberdeen are in pole position to secure Chris on a new contract, but Chris is well within his rights to talk to other clubs about a deal for next season.”

The Dons have dismissed the claim as total nonsense.

Although Maguire is out of contract in the summer, interested clubs would have to pay Aberdeen compensation under Fifa regulations as the player is under 24 years old.

The Dons expect a fee of around £300,000 should Maguire move, but they insist no contact has been made to negotiate.

Dons director of football Willie Miller told Maguire’s agent to instruct any interested parties to get in touch, but manager Craig Brown said: “There was not one single call from any club regarding Chris, which I was happy about.” Maguire is content to focus on his football before making a decision.

He said: “We are no further on regards my contract situation. I am still at Aberdeen and I am enjoying my football. The main thing for me is to keep doing what I have been doing recently and scoring goals for Aberdeen.

“I am pleased with my form as I have scored a few goals and the big thing is I have been playing week-in, week-out this season.”

Brown has been counting the cost of Tuesday night’s 3-0 defeat by Celtic.

Defender David McNamee suffered a groin injury and is struggling to be fit for Sunday’s Scottish Cup tie against Dunfermline at Pittodrie.

Midfielder Ryan Jack came off worst in a collision with Celtic’s Kris Commons in the build-up to the Parkhead club’s opening goal.

Brown is also awaiting results for attacker Sone Aluko and defender Nikola Vujadinovic who have Achilles and calf problems.

Defender Andrew Considine will miss the SPL trip to St Johnstone next Saturday due to suspension following his second-minute red card against Celtic.

Brown, whose side face six matches in 20 days in February, said: “We still feel aggrieved about the decision to send Considine off. We have been hit with a triple-whammy of punishments with the penalty, the sending-off and now the suspension.

“For me it was not a red card offence, but I doubt there would be much point appealing.

“We have to get on with it, but it was a difficult night.

“There is not much space to move in treatment room at the moment.

“We need everyone fit for this spell.

“The games are coming thick and fast so it is a very important spell for us.

“We have come through a difficult couple of weeks. It is always a big ask against the Old Firm, but especially when we did not get a single break in any of the games.

“I was really pleased the supporters stuck with us on Tuesday night and hopefully things might go our way in the next few weeks.”

What a load of pish from Mackay.  It would be impossible for the Dons to prevent Maguire from speaking to other clubs.

Mackay = Cunt 

This

Fuck Willie Mackay and every other cuntish leech that make obscene amounts of money for being nothing but a cock. The sooner people like this are removed from the game the better. 

This

"Chris, Chris, Chris, leave Aberdeen and go somewhere else! It's in my......i mean your best interests!"

And this!

Seems to me that Mackay is simply the current version of John Viola. At the end of the 2001-02 season, Viola was the agent of six Aberdeen players. All six players were refusing to sign new contracts at the end of 01/02.

Viola was an absolute cretin back then - out to make as big a coin for himself without any real regard for the players he represents. I just about threw up when I looked at John Viola's website and realised his "agency team" now includes Gordan Petric and Craig Moore.

Seems to me that Mackay is simply the current version of John Viola. At the end of the 2001-02 season, Viola was the agent of six Aberdeen players. All six players were refusing to sign new contracts at the end of 01/02.

Viola was an absolute cretin back then - out to make as big a coin for himself without any real regard for the players he represents. I just about threw up when I looked at John Viola's website and realised his "agency team" now includes Gordan Petric and Craig Moore.

Vaguely remember that at the time Viola was the agent the club recommended to its players as well.

The problem I see, in Scotland anyway, is most agents are ex players or fans and, as such, will have history/loyalty/affinity/support for certain Scottish teams.

Now, far be it from me to suggest this might directly influence their fucking money-grabbing-fuck-you attitude but it might affect some of them subconsciously?

Obviously I don't include the genuinely altruistic and honest ones here!

I would have thought the main problem was that most of them are perfectly willing to generally not act in their client's interests in the search of an extra pound.

Allied to the fact that most of their clients are as thick as shit in the neck of a bottle and its a recipe for disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
Wiser Chris Maguire comes of age on the pitch and off it

Published Date: 13 February 2011

By Andrew Smith

WHEN Chris Maguire had the bright idea of making abusive comments about Barry Ferguson and Alan Hutton on a Rangers-supporting pal's Bebo site in December 2007, the Aberdeen forward was dismissed by a spokesman for the Rangers Supporters' Trust as a nonentity who would be "playing for East Fife and working in Asda in three years".

Three years and six weeks on, the 22-year-old has become a full Scotland internationalist following his senior debut last week. He earned the elevation on the back of his finest few months in club football that, as he enters the final months of his present deal, have made his contract talks a pressing matter for the Pittodrie side.

The striker maintains he has grown up now and stopped shooting from the lip. Yet he still eschews the bland for the honest and provides straight answers to straight questions. Like how he feels about the author of the lower-division shelf-packer-in-waiting jibe.

"He'll probably be looking back and thinking: 'what did I say that for?' That's the same with me. I look back on it and think what happened in the past was with me being young and naive. It's all behind me and I just want to move on."

Maguire's candour deserts him only when questioned about whether he wants to move on literally as well as figuratively. Yet even then, not entirely. "The club know themselves if they asked me this time last year if I was staying (when out on loan at Kilmarnock] the answer would have been 'no' because since I'd broken through I've never really had an opportunity. I'd always been a bit-part player, in and out each week. Mark McGhee gave me that opportunity (of a consistent selection] and I've just taken it. If I get a good offer from the club then I would really think about signing again. But I'm not going to sit here and say I'm signing again or not signing again. I've started talks and I'll wait for them coming back to me."

He has flourished under McGhee's replacement Craig Brown, though he has not become as prized by the Pittodrie side as certain reports have suggested. "I want to let everyone know, at the moment, for me it's not all about money. I mean, in the Aberdeen papers the other day it was said that they had offered me a three-year deal to be the highest-paid player. That made me laugh to be honest, so it did. I just want to let everybody know I'm not out there to try and fleece the club."

Maguire, it seems, now has a handle on what should be aired in public forums.

The question is "What is he worth to AFC?"

He's not irreplacable, but we'd probably have to buy a replacement, would we get enough for him to afford that? If paying him more on a 3 year contract works out cheaper than getting him replaced then that's what we should be doing. Factor in what he might be worth in future transfer fee and goals helping AFC make more money in competition as well. All very speculative I know, but I'm pretty sure I trust that that's exactly what Brown and Miller are doing (at least I hope so)

If he's not going to give us a profit in terms of fees, prospective winnings etc, let him go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...