Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Managers in England

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only thing left on his CV that needs filled is international management. His own country I doubt could ever win a World Cup so I doubt he would manage them for now but Spain or Italy could be viable. Or indeed, Brazil as he speaks the language.

Saw he was linked with a return to Inter but surely that would be a retrograde step

• 3 weeks later...

Some posters reckon Liverpool will win the EPL this season. Understandable given their 4 point lead at the top but what about the Klopp factor? Has he really got what it takes to cross the line? Is his core made of steel? Is he made of the right stuff? Or was he a tall specky kid who got lucky?

I really like the man. His enthusiasm is infectious. He knows how to smile and have a laugh and there's no doubt that he's assembled a superb unit at Anfield. He's got a great eye for a player and there's no doubt that they are properly motivated under him. But his personal record in the biggest of matches, including the Champions League finals that he's lost is either bad luck on the day or a symptom of his true nature. Even last week, their first defeat of the EPL season was a defining game. Had he won that, 10 points would've been a massive advantage but they would still have had to grind it out with 51 points still up for grabs.

Winners are tough. They don't care about being popular and friends with everyone. They're driven to succeed and have desire and determination levels that are almost scary when you're in their presence, so utterly focused as they are. Most of all, they believe that they're the best. I don't know if Klopp believes it. Maybe he's still this gangly awkward kid who's blustered his way into the upper echelons of the game, albeit on the back of some excellent management and some solid results. But like the excellent technical golfer who's often in contention but yet to win a major, there must be a question mark about his ability to cross the bridge and actually deliver on the biggest of stages. Winning the EPL would be a testament to his stamina and mental fortitude, just as winning the biggest trophies requires total belief. It is these specific issues that he's yet to prove. Will be a very interesting next four months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

There are certainly two ways to skin a cat. When Leicester won the league they regularly had around 35% possession and won a lot of games by the odd goal on the counter attack. Watched a fair bit of them this season and they have actually played very well in a number of their games but failed to win. Last night's highlights showed they had 27 attempts on goal and 65% possession yet got beat 4-1.

• 2 months later...

I see a lot of outrage regarding the Hughton sacking, but hasn't he spent 70+ million? Finishing 17th. I appreciate that the EPL is obviously more difficult, but they were almost relegated and when you see he's spent a decent chunk more than several clubs that finished above them, added to the dire Football apparently on show, it kind of makes sense.

Maybe they feel they can attract a manager that puts a better squad together for the money they have available to spend, but I am not sure what they expect, I very much doubt they'd qualify for Europe or that, so is a Mid Table the best they can hope for? The prize money becomes rather different the higher you finish, naturally, so maybe that is their thinking? Who knows.

Brighton should be on their knees thanking Hughton for keeping them in the EPL. I'm not sure what exactly they expect of him but any manager doing as he has done deserves another season. Even spending £70 million (and putting it into perspective, clubs in the top 6 will spend that on a single player)……..Norwich and Sheffield United will spend at least that much this summer and if they finish 17th next season will consider every penny of it well spent. 

• 1 month later...
Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

So Benitez leaving Newcastle, Stevie G high up on the bookies list of potential replacements  :o

So Benitez leaving Newcastle, Stevie G high up on the bookies list of potential replacements  :o

He is also wanted by Derby County to replace Chelsea bound Lampard.

Allegedly to be offered £2.5m basic and £8 million bonus if he leads then in Premier League

Don't know about the rest of you, but think I'd damn near pish my pants if he walked out on them pre season  :thumbsup:

At first glance it would be faf if Slippy were indeed to fuck off to Derby (or Newcastle).

However sevco would then be due a whack of compo from whatever team he went to and the law of averages says that they must hit upon a fairly competent manager sooner or later. So on balance I'd rather he stays on. They'll fire him if he goes another full season without a trophy (and maybe fairly quickly if they are a good few points behind Celtic at the halfway stage, possibly not even in second position in the league). At that point sevco become liable for Slippy's remaining salary plus needing to fund a replacement (with Celtic one title away from 10IAR they'd be desperate and likely go over what they can afford getting in a big name with a decentish reputation.....my bet would be Sam Allardyce who looks finished down south)

I would agree with that TC.  I said when he got the job that I suspected he would last 18 months. Not even a cup final last season and nothing special on the park, ultimately the next few months are massive for Gerrard.  If they get papped out of Europe and don't make the league Cup final he will be under huge pressure, that could only be mitigated by being top of the league.  Not impossible by any stretch, the tims have a big rebuild to do  (expecially in defence) but have a much bigger budget to do so and Lennon knows what he is doing.  Being binned by Xmas is very possible in other words if you ask me.