Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Managers in England

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Funny manager Ranieri.  According to Wikipedia, he has managed 1,325 games and has not really been out of a job for a significant spell since starting out in 1986.  His CV of clubs managed is a who's who of European football including Napoli, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Chelsea, Roma, Inter, Parma, Monaco, etc. But apart from his amazing feat at Leicester, his trophies won are a few lower league titles and a couple of domestic cups.  Every time he gets a new gig you do wonder, would you really want this guy in charge of your club? Cannot see him being in charge of Watford at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Funny manager Ranieri.  According to Wikipedia, he has managed 1,325 games and has not really been out of a job for a significant spell since starting out in 1986.  His CV of clubs managed is a who's who of European football including Napoli, Fiorentina, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Chelsea, Roma, Inter, Parma, Monaco, etc. But apart from his amazing feat at Leicester, his trophies won are a few lower league titles and a couple of domestic cups.  Every time he gets a new gig you do wonder, would you really want this guy in charge of your club? Cannot see him being in charge of Watford at the end of the season.

Probably not far wrong. He seems to move on regularly and Watford’s owners seem to change managers every 10 to 12 months. 

The jury still out for me on Gerrard's managerial ability.  He won the league, yes, but with a monumental amount of invest by SPL standards.  Lampard though, why on earth would you give him an open cheque book?  Find it hard to believe he would even be in their thoughts as being a potential manager.  Surprised Shearer has not been mentioned because they are going to be doing as much as they possibly can to look good in the eyes of the geordie public for the next few months.  He would surely be the ultimate appointment to get the fans flocking in.

4 hours ago, Jute said:

Two early favourites according to SSN are Frank Lampard and Gerrard from the Tribute Act. Latter would be hilarious for the rage it would induce in Govan. 

Don't know if I am missing something but why would a club that will be the world's richest hire a manager like Gerrard, completely unproven at that level when they can have their pick of any manager in the world I'd imagine.

Glass played for Newcastle. Don't think Dave would necessarily be overly difficult to deal with in terms of compensation.

3 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

The jury still out for me on Gerrard's managerial ability.  He won the league, yes, but with a monumental amount of invest by SPL standards.  Lampard though, why on earth would you give him an open cheque book?  Find it hard to believe he would even be in their thoughts as being a potential manager.  Surprised Shearer has not been mentioned because they are going to be doing as much as they possibly can to look good in the eyes of the geordie public for the next few months.  He would surely be the ultimate appointment to get the fans flocking in.

Shearer with Keegan as director of football 😉

Gerrard would be an idiotic appointment unless they bring Beale and MacAllister as well, at that point they’d be as well appointing Shearer with those two. Can’t see the geordies being as enthused with Gerrard as a figure head as the huns are.  
Someone like Mancini or Rodgers would make more sense.

Looking forward to another team upsetting the self appointed “big” clubs. 

Just now, baggy89 said:

Gerrard would be an idiotic appointment unless they bring Beale and MacAllister as well, at that point they’d be as well appointing Shearer with those two. Can’t see the geordies being as enthused with Gerrard as a figure head as the huns are.  
Someone like Mancini or Rodgers would make more sense.

Looking forward to another team upsetting the self appointed “big” clubs. 

I’d find it funnier if they failed completely tbh

1 minute ago, baggy89 said:

Why. I’m not in favour of the Saudis or their regime but let’s not pretend the the EPL don’t have Russian, Italian and American gangsters as owners already. 

Continuing the geordie anguish (sorry Al). I’d find it amusing. And yeah, completely acknowledging your latter point. No denying it. I’m sure I say the same whenever a big money consortium comes in. 

16 minutes ago, baggy89 said:

Why. I’m not in favour of the Saudis or their regime but let’s not pretend the the EPL don’t have Russian, Italian and American gangsters as owners already. 

So more of them makes it better, or more favourable? I don't get it to be honest. Team buys big team status. Repeat. It's fake. 

I don't get why fans of Scottish fitba, who witness first hand the ridiculous state of inequality in the game, get any enjoyment out of another twat buying stuff. It's fucking Hunnish (buying success, I mean), regardless of how many do it. I'd feel the same if the Dons (or anyone) decided to splash millions on catching the scum too. It'd make us Huns in my mind. English fitba is Huns.

Edit: feel free to insert Tims in place of Huns if preferred

Edited by RicoS321

So at what point does it become “Hunnish” as you call it. How much would Cormack have to put in for us to reflect your analogy? Is bidding £500k for a player from a rival Hunnish? Yes?? No??? How much would it take? £1MM, £2MM, just how much money has to be thrown about? Are we already Hunnish to the likes of livi and Hamilton? Sonia Cormack “another test buying stuff”! What makes us any different, right now. 
mot is being done by us, just in a smaller scale so get off your moral high horse. 
It’s done in the highland league. It’s done in the lowland league. Kelty are a prime example. 
Cove are another. Salford city another. 
Teams that have bought big team status. Just in a different pond. Sometimes it doesn’t work.

Venkys at Blackburn being a prime example. 

Leicester did it…not on the same scale as City it Chelsea but they did it.
it happens in every industry…not just football. It’s not fake, it’s reality.

8 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Continuing the geordie anguish (sorry Al). I’d find it amusing. And yeah, completely acknowledging your latter point. No denying it. I’m sure I say the same whenever a big money consortium comes in. 

Fair enough, I can get that.
I’ve never minded the geordies. 

19 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

So at what point does it become “Hunnish” as you call it. How much would Cormack have to put in for us to reflect your analogy? Is bidding £500k for a player from a rival Hunnish? Yes?? No??? How much would it take? £1MM, £2MM, just how much money has to be thrown about? Are we already Hunnish to the likes of livi and Hamilton? Sonia Cormack “another test buying stuff”! What makes us any different, right now. 
mot is being done by us, just in a smaller scale so get off your moral high horse. 
It’s done in the highland league. It’s done in the lowland league. Kelty are a prime example. 
Teams that have bought big team status. Just in a different pond. Sometimes it doesn’t work.

Edit: sorry…fat fingers! Sonia Cormack is not Dave’s wife…I don’t think!? It was meant to say So is Cormack “another twat buying stuff”? 

34 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

So more of them makes it better, or more favourable? I don't get it to be honest. Team buys big team status. Repeat. It's fake. 

I don't get why fans of Scottish fitba, who witness first hand the ridiculous state of inequality in the game, get any enjoyment out of another twat buying stuff. It's fucking Hunnish (buying success, I mean), regardless of how many do it. I'd feel the same if the Dons (or anyone) decided to splash millions on catching the scum too. It'd make us Huns in my mind. English fitba is Huns.

Edit: feel free to insert Tims in place of Huns if preferred

I don’t mind it because on the whole I couldn’t give a shit about English fitba. EPL is a different sport really. In fact not a sport it’s just entertainment.
I live down here and the club I started going to 24 years ago are run like a proper club. I’ve watched them in conference, 3rd division, league 2 and league 1. The best season by far was the season they were back in the conference.

Cheltenham were approached by the Russians that then bought Bournemouth. Chairman at the time gave them short shrift, would not sell to anyone who might threaten their existence. Board turned down Dale Vince (of FGR) too.
There was a point, in the late 90’s where the 2 richest people involved in British football were on the boards of Aberdeen and Cheltenham. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sheepheid said:

Good question. It becomes Hunnish when you buy your way to success, getting yourself in debt (whether that be bank or donor) and operate way beyond your means for an extended period of time. Whether successful or not of course. The Huns were still total Huns in the championship losing league and playoff. There is a good argument that teams like Kelty, Bora, Cove Huns are just finding their level.

Alternatively, you have the Newcastle situation, where you turn a blind eye to the nefarious cunt buying your club and bask in his money. Like Charles Green, the easdales and so on. The player equivalent would be goodwillie of course - that was fucking Hunnish.

It doesn't currently happen at pittodrie, but we've seen glimpses in the past. Milne's cheap attempt to become the Huns, whilst retaining the voting structure was unforgivable for example. The Hernandez signing looked like it might be the start of something, but that was just a weird anomaly it seems. The training ground is capital expenditure, as would a new stadium, designed to increase turnover and doesn't fall into the operating category.

Hope that clarifies it for you. I think we have to bear in mind that my classification of Hunnishness isn't subject to law.

17 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Good question. It becomes Hunnish when you buy your way to success, getting yourself in debt (whether that be bank or donor) and operate way beyond your means for an extended period of time. Whether successful or not of course. The Huns were still total Huns in the championship losing league and playoff. There is a good argument that teams like Kelty, Bora, Cove Huns are just finding their level.

Alternatively, you have the Newcastle situation, where you turn a blind eye to the nefarious cunt buying your club and bask in his money. Like Charles Green, the easdales and so on. The player equivalent would be goodwillie of course - that was fucking Hunnish.

It doesn't currently happen at pittodrie, but we've seen glimpses in the past. Milne's cheap attempt to become the Huns, whilst retaining the voting structure was unforgivable for example. The Hernandez signing looked like it might be the start of something, but that was just a weird anomaly it seems. The training ground is capital expenditure, as would a new stadium, designed to increase turnover and doesn't fall into the operating category.

Hope that clarifies it for you. I think we have to bear in mind that my classification of Hunnishness isn't subject to law.

Newcastle should be a big club.
No hunnish-ness involved, neither projected nor real. They’re a proper working class football club. With a history of glorious failure. Stadium in the city centre, passionate local fan base, no southern affiliations (they fucking hated Ashley et al for being cockney wide-o’s). Absolutely no way they would let their club get liquidated EVER, even if this Saudi experiment goes tits up. 
On fan base alone they’d be top? 1?  They could double the size of St James’ and still fill it (with a hint of success). The only way to win anything anywhere now, is with billionaire sponsors, they’ve got the billionaires of billionaires. 
It’s a risk but let them enjoy it. 

• Like 1