Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Managers in England

Correct. He's achieved fuck all yet. I don't doubt that he will though. Assuming he's smart enough to move. He'll be the Spurs and England all time top scorer by some distance before too long but unless he moves he'll win fuck all with Spurs or with England.

I agree with the Spurs part. However with England? They've got a fantastic group of youngsters starting to establish themselves in the international set up. With home advantage next year they might just have a decent shot at winning the European championship. My apathy with the international game, brought on by watching Scotland's 30 year decline into utter dross has also caused me to no longer even caring if England win, such has my ABE enthusiasm waned.

I agree with the Spurs part. However with England? They've got a fantastic group of youngsters starting to establish themselves in the international set up. With home advantage next year they might just have a decent shot at winning the European championship. My apathy with the international game, brought on by watching Scotland's 30 year decline into utter dross has also caused me to no longer even caring if England win, such has my ABE enthusiasm waned.

I live in fear of England winning but luckily they won't any time soon. They do have some good players. Most of them are vastly overrated by the Sky "Best League in the World" Sports brigade.

They don't have a decent goalkeeper. That wee ned prick Pickford isn't up to much.

TAA as a full back is class but he's in the minority.

Harry Maguire is hugely overrated. Man Utd panic-spunked £80m on him and he's not fit to lace the boots of a proper world class centre back. Same goes for John Stones. Both failing to impress at their respective Manchester clubs. Who else plays at CB? Jones? Smalling? Mings? Half decent players at best. Not sure who they'd have as the other full back. Rose is fucking shite but I don't think he gets picked anymore does he?

Midfield they have Divey Ali who's another vastly overrated player and has done fuck all for the past few years apart from moan and play Fortnite. Henderson's limitations are well-known although he's a decent player no doubt. He's in the same bracket as Oxlade Chamberlain in those terms. Who else is there? Declan Rice? ??? Barkley? Drinkwater? Excuse me whilst I shite myself.

Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane are the other two who you could argue are world class (certainly Raheem Sterling. What a player he is). No one else in the England setup stands out on the world stage for me and no one should be scared of them. Maddison has a lot of potential and there are others with potential like Mount and Abraham but in my opinion they're miles away from the likes of France or Germany. Odoi might be in this bracket too but I've never laid eyes on the cunt so how good could he be?

Let's not forget in the last world cup they had the easiest run to the final of all time and still fucked it up.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

I can only see failure here. Mourinho is not a modern manager. 10-15 years ago yes, but not now. Plus he will not be given the time he needs - a mourinho team needs mourinho players and that will take a fair few transfer windows.

Crazy appointment by spurs.

A lot of people seem to have invented this thing about Mourinho being out of date and past his best but it was only four years ago that his team won the english league.  I don't think he is a spent force by no means and can see Spurs challenging for the league next year.  They were in the Champions League final just six months ago with Pochettino at the healm and Mourinho is a better manager than he will ever be.  Jose was laughed at for his work at Man Utd but last time I checked his successor was 18 points off the top after just 12 games so maybe his job there was not as bad as everyone made out.  Two trophies in two years is not all that bad. 9/1 for Spurs to win this years FA Cup is particularly tempting.

A lot of people seem to have invented this thing about Mourinho being out of date and past his best but it was only four years ago that his team won the english league.  I don't think he is a spent force by no means and can see Spurs challenging for the league next year.  They were in the Champions League final just six months ago with Pochettino at the healm and Mourinho is a better manager than he will ever be.  Jose was laughed at for his work at Man Utd but last time I checked his successor was 18 points off the top after just 12 games so maybe his job there was not as bad as everyone made out.  Two trophies in two years is not all that bad. 9/1 for Spurs to win this years FA Cup is particularly tempting.

Foreign managers don't give a fuck about domestic cup competitions. 9/1 is shite. He turned Man Utd into a dreadful team to watch and the results weren't justifying the performances. He's lucky that OGS has made him look not as bad by being even more shite.

Mourinho might do well at Spurs but I can also see this being the first job he's taken where he'll win fuck all and be gone before too long.

Interesting first news conference (to Spurs TV) from Jose.

He said that he will continue to make mistakes but that they will be "new mistakes" as he isn't going to be making the same mistakes as he made before. A rare show of humility and admission that he did make mistakes previously, not that this wasn't obvious to everyone although possibly except him at the time, when he was at Chelsea and Man U.

By the time he was shouting "Respect Respect Respect" at Old Trafford, he was gone. He wasn't enjoying it, Pogba had undermined him and he had lost the dressing room. When the players turned it on for OGS in the two months after Mourinho, they did their club a disservice. The suggestion was that OGS was some sort of messiah or genius, and Rio Ferdinand famously fell foul of this overly-optimistic unrealistic thinking when as a pundit he was getting his wallet out and saying that "we are back".

West Ham may well get thrashed in his first game but the real tests are going to come thick and fast. I reckon we will have a good idea how successful or otherwise he's going to be at Spurs pretty quickly.

They should really go all out for Brendan Rodgers, he would be a fantastic Arsenal manager and get them back playing how they were in the Henry, Pires days.  They won't of course, they will go for some obscure appointment like Arteta and cock it right up.

They should really go all out for Brendan Rodgers, he would be a fantastic Arsenal manager and get them back playing how they were in the Henry, Pires days.  They won't of course, they will go for some obscure appointment like Arteta and cock it right up.

Tim mate of mine who is still very bitter about the way he left them. Was surprised he hadn't packed his bags for London already  :rofl:

Rodgers won't go to Arsenal. For many reasons.

Arsenal fan I know is desperate for them to get Rodgers but said yesterday there is no chance Rodgers will take the job as too many issues on and off the field at Arsenal.

He reckons they will get Eddie Howe from Bournemouth.

I reckon we will have a good idea how successful or otherwise he's going to be at Spurs pretty quickly.

Three games in and I predict success.

Six goals conceded isn't great but this is a different Mourinho, the old Mourinho, the masterful manager with something new that he's not had before, humility.

He's had a scare by fucking up and being sacked his last two jobs and he's learned from that. His management of Dier after he needed to take him off after 29 minutes was very brave at the time but it worked and he handled the player with great sensitivity both face-to-face and with the press.

Slightly surprised he's not started Eriksen in all 3, he didn't even come off the bench yesterday. He's too good a talent but this may well be master management again, keeping him hungry before releasing his potential in the weeks ahead. Or the player may still have an attitude and isn't working hard enough in training, time will tell.

Great to see his interaction with the ballboy who's quick actions led to the important goal on Wednesday. The human side of Mourinho was something conspicuous by its absence when he was in trouble in his previous failed appointments.

There's no doubt Howe deserves a chance at a bigger club than Bournemouth. But will Arsenal think he's a big enough name?  I have a feeling the top English clubs will want to see him take charge of a perceived bigger club than Bournemouth (Everton, West Ham or the likes) before they take a chance on him.

• 3 weeks later...

What a bunch of nuggets they are. 

Just saw Duncan Ferguson’s post match interview , there’s a guy who is full of enthusiasm and energy and I think it showed in their form under him.

Manager material? No, probably not but he knows it. He really should be involved motivationally though, even if not at Everton then somewhere.

Aye MBT, got a strong head on him  :laughing:

I got your comment. Just having seen him the last 3 games and the way his team responds, why not? National team is as close to a joke as we’ve been in a while, you never know. Honesty, hard graft and passion, wouldn’t do any harm.

He made clear in his playing days that he wasn't interested in our national team. I don't think he's manager material at all. At any level. There's just something very odd about him that I can't quite put my finger on.