Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Olympics 2012

Kowalski

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The negativity towards the Olympics, now that it has started, is surprising.

I could understand not looking forward to it or not giving a toss that it was imminent but the competition and the spectacle has been excellent. There has been so much tremendous drama already.

Highlights for me so far include Ye, GB gymnasts nailing the three last floor exercises and getting bronze, no, silver, no, bronze, China's synchronised diving win (where Daley and the boy were leading after 3 Rds until the massive fuck up) and the head-to-head archery from 70m. The boy getting his 19th medal last night was pretty outstanding.

People invest thousands of hours over many years to train for sports that some people have no interest in yet these people complain? Can they not change the channel? Do they object to the athletes participating at all? What?

Ye on the other hand, performed so well that the fingers of suspicion are upon her. Not content with her clean doping tests, some are suggesting her masking agents are beating the system.

It appears that not only are we unable to enjoy excellence in sporting achievement for what it is, some would rather they weren't competing at all despite having zero appreciation or experience of the minority sport in question. Same old, same old...

I appreciate the application and dedication and the sporting excellence. That's not the same as enjoying it. There's only so many sports I have the capacity to care about. As was said before it's the one good thing about the Olympics that there are so many sports and will be something for everyone.

Toffs on boats and horses doesn't do it for me at all though.

I appreciate the application and dedication and the sporting excellence. That's not the same as enjoying it. There's only so many sports I have the capacity to care about. As was said before it's the one good thing about the Olympics that there are so many sports and will be something for everyone.

This.

That being said, I do watch the Winter Olympics. Some cool events on during that.

That the guy that was pwning the college scene?

Yeah, and everywhere else:

International:

Pan American Champion (74 kg Men's Freestyle - 2011)

World Champion (74 kg Men's Freestyle - 2011)

U S World Team Trials Champion (74 kg Men's Freestyle - 2011)

Two-Time US Open Champion (74 kg/163 pound) (2011,2012)

2012 Olympic Trials Champion

2012 World Cup Champion

Collegiate:

Two-Time NCAA Champion (2009,157; 2011, 165)

2011 Hodge Trophy winner

2011 InterMat Wrestler of the Year

Three-Time All-American (3rd, 2008; 1st, 2009; 1st, 2011)

Four-Time NCAA Qualifier (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011)

Three-Time Big 12 Champion (2008, 149; 2009, 157; 2011, 165)

Outstanding Wrestler of 2008 Big 12 Championships

Midlands Champion (2011, 165)

2011 Dan Gable Most Outstanding Wrestler Award (Midlands Championship)

Nebraska Most Outstanding Wrestler (2008, 2009, 2011)

128-20 career record

Fourth-most wins in school history

Tied for fifth-most dual wins in school history (62)

Sixth-best career winning percentage in school history (.865)

Tied for fifth-most falls in a single season in school history (20, 2011)

Four-time Big 12 Wrestler of the Week

2011 Nebraska "Heart and Soul Award" winner

Talk of him going into MMA after the Olympics if he doesn't stay in freestlye until Rio

Sailing and horses are things I can't watch either. Yet. There is a 15 year old in the North East of Scotland who may well appear in the next Olympics. She's been brought up on the back of a horse since before she could walk and has already achieved victories all over Europe and the UK in showjumping and stuff. The fact that she, nor her family are "toffs" nor could they ever be described as such might make it particularly interesting if she can beat the blue bloods in their own backyard.

I found the older woman in the silver-winning horsey team yesterday more than disturbing. She was naturally ecstatic with joy and full of appreciation for her team-mates and for the support that they got from the home crowd and it's great to see such positive energy but my old prejudice kicked in when her grating, contrived ruling-class accent revealed itself. The vacancy of facial expression that couples the tones of her verbal expression just screams unnatural and inbred to me. I would love to see a North East lassie whip these aristocratically accented freaks in Rio 2016.

The negativity towards the Olympics, now that it has started, is surprising.

I could understand not looking forward to it or not giving a toss that it was imminent but the competition and the spectacle has been excellent. There has been so much tremendous drama already.

Highlights for me so far include Ye, GB gymnasts nailing the three last floor exercises and getting bronze, no, silver, no, bronze, China's synchronised diving win (where Daley and the boy were leading after 3 Rds until the massive fuck up) and the head-to-head archery from 70m. The boy getting his 19th medal last night was pretty outstanding.

People invest thousands of hours over many years to train for sports that some people have no interest in yet these people complain? Can they not change the channel? Do they object to the athletes participating at all? What?

Ye on the other hand, performed so well that the fingers of suspicion are upon her. Not content with her clean doping tests, some are suggesting her masking agents are beating the system.

It appears that not only are we unable to enjoy excellence in sporting achievement for what it is, some would rather they weren't competing at all despite having zero appreciation or experience of the minority sport in question. Same old, same old...

Agree pretty much completely.

So far I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the games. Some more than others obviously but some much more than I thought I would. Anything horsey I can't really be arsed with. Not a fuck has ever been given by me towards Zara Philips and the rest of them. I've always enjoyed watching gymnastics and have a huge amount of respect for the athletes because of how difficult some of those events must be. Swimming, Rowing and Cycling are some events that to my surprise I've thoroughly enjoyed watching. The women's road race was absolutely gripping. I was watching it with my Dad who obviously wanted the Dutch lassie to win and the 3 leaders made it an amazing spectacle.

Other sports such as Hockey, Volleyball and Handball I've also really enjoyed watching as I expected I would. I don't see what the problem is with only watching them every 4 years. If they were on more regularly I might watch them more but at the end of the day the Olympic games is the pinnacle for sports like this. With football that's not really the case so they should probably get Olympic Football tae fuck.  :wave:

The men's team gymnastics the other night was absolutely superb viewing.  The fact that one of them was a ginger Scotsman (Daniel Purvis) made it even better.

I want TeamGB to fall flat on their faces in the fitba for obvious reasons, and then I see Kim Little fae Mintlaw and I'm egging her on to do the NE proud.

I usually enjoy the Hockey as well and although I haven't had the chance to see any yet, Judo, which I think is a wondeful sport.  And of course I'm keeping everything crossed for Andy Murray in the tennis.

Stunning by Stanning. Lovely by Glover.

First GB gold in women's rowing ever and first GB gold in 2012.

Hard not to be moved by their joy. Superb effort.

Well this is it.  The amount of emotion shown by people who win, lose or, erm...... come in 2nd or 3rd is amazing.  Couple that with sheer amount of countries pushing past history, politics, religion or grievances aside and you have something very special.

On the sport side of things I can agree that there are 'only so many sports I have the capacity to care about' and I certainly don't class men jumping around in tights as one of those.  But I'll still sit and watch just about any of it whilst marvelling at what the human body is capable of.  As far as who wins?  Well who cares.

As for the negativity towards horses/rowing/the so called elitist mob.  So what?  Daddy bought them a pony and yours didn't.  Boo-fucking-hoo.  I can't remember anyone expressing that opinion when they're watching F1 drivers fly round a track having been put there by Mummy and Daddy.

If there were gold medals for being dour bastards then Team GB wouldn't be short of record breaking Olympians.

As for the negativity towards horses/rowing/the so called elitist mob.  So what?  Daddy bought them a pony and yours didn't.  Boo-fucking-hoo.  I can't remember anyone expressing that opinion when they're watching F1 drivers fly round a track having been put there by Mummy and Daddy.

If there were gold medals for being dour bastards then Team GB wouldn't be short of record breaking Olympians.

I would agree with your final statement. I love the rowing personally but can't watch the sailing and I can't stand F1. This is nothing to do with how they got there. It's my opinion only on the sport itself. That I added an observation about the scary older wifie who got silver yesterday, born from my own prejudices (as acknowledged and expressly stipulated), does not qualify me for the 25 million man GB team for the dourness olympic event soon to be introduced. Good luck to those of you who do go to Rio though.