Wednesday 15th May 2024:  kick-off 7.45pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Livingston

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

I watch many horror type films but I find it increasingly difficult to find something that actually has the effect it is supposed to. I saw the Exorcist at a young age and although it freaked me out at the time it means that nothing phases me now. Generally the better film are less is scarier but still not really scary. Does anyone have any hidden gems that might give me a sleepless night?

Made the mistake of watching the new Ghostbusters last night (it was free on "on demand" ok?)

Really not a redeeming factor about it, awful film, only watched it all because there's fukc all else on TV on Saturday night here and I was curious to see the "cameos" from the original team.

Don't bother if you've not seen it.

Made the mistake of watching the new Ghostbusters last night (it was free on "on demand" ok?)

Really not a redeeming factor about it, awful film, only watched it all because there's fukc all else on TV on Saturday night here and I was curious to see the "cameos" from the original team.

Don't bother if you've not seen it.

I watched it couple of weeks ago and whilst not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, it was mildly entertaining in my humble opinion

Any science fiction fans out there?

I was watching a film being shot from my living room window a couple of years ago, Spectral it's called.

Anyway it was due for release in August, it's finished but the company has delayed releasing it for reasons known only to themselves.

I just wondered if any film buffs know what the fuck is really happening.

I've no interest in actuality watching the film but it would be interesting to see the bits I saw being filmed, and of course to find out if it was any good.

Seen 'the impossible' the other night,based on a true story about survivors of the Tsunami in 2004.

Hard to work out if it was a film,or a film account of the event.Some impressive scenes throughout,but thought the script was pretty poor. Could have been better  6/10

For what it was I was fair impressed by the impossible. Dont think the film script was the intended focal point, think the focus was placed on the visualisatin of how helpless everyone was and the grand scale of the event and how destructive it was to the nation and communities and how difficult and impossible it would be to return missing family members and repair the community. I think the script was merely the baseline of the premisis. Think it was a low budget film as well, overall weel made!

Each to there own, 6/10 is a fai judgement. Certainly tugged at my heartstrings n brought a tear fan i watched it!

• 2 weeks later...

I, Daniel Blake is a very powerful, evocative statement on austerity

My daughter sat with tears streaming down her face at the end

A sad reflection on today's society

Thanks to your post and having now read a bit more about it, I want to see it.

Not at the main cinemas just now and not on Netflix, where can I see it?

Edit: found it! Belmont. Should've known to look there first. Will go in the next 48 hours.

I, Daniel Blake is a very powerful, evocative statement on austerity

My daughter sat with tears streaming down her face at the end

A sad reflection on today's society

Just back from I, Daniel Blake. The best film I've seen for many many years.

It wasn't about "austerity" though.

And it's not "a sad reflection on today's society". On the contrary, it was a celebration of common humanity.

Probably Ken Loach's best work and his is a genius body of work to choose between.

It's about the way the government has reacted to save millions of pounds by targeting the poorest and most vulnerable people in our society so yes it is a reflection on austerity

"Director Ken Loach, now 80, came out of self-imposed retirement to make this powerful and urgent social drama that serves as a scathing indictment of austerity Britain"

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/film/i-daniel-blake-review-austerity-britain

It is certainly worth a watch both for the terrific warmth and humanity that shines through from Daniel and to witness what a fucked up society we live in when a woman has to go without sanitary products cause she cannot afford to buy them and feed her kids

"Austerity" was a label, a lie sold to the people from corrupt governments.

The "economic recession" was a related lie, a manufactured consequence from when the parcel being passed was getting too hot to hold. The people didn't suddenly down tools. Economic output didn't slow down or evaporate. The workers didn't do anything different.

It was "the system" being "crashed" deliberately. They tested it on us in 2008. In Britain, it was Northern Rock who was the poor guinea pig that they sacrificed. That was just the taster for what followed.

Loach wasn't commenting on "austerity". He was skilfully illustrating how the Conservative government have introduced a Kafkaesque welfare state system to kill its own citizens. This denigration of individual self respect is another tool of the state to enforce the divide and conquer strategy. That Loach punctuated this nightmare with credible and realistic examples of humanity - recognising the nature and the value of community with warmth, selflessness and love - was the genius of the work and the genius of the man.

The welfare state is only one example. The wider agenda is everywhere around us.

• 4 weeks later...

Any science fiction fans out there?

I was watching a film being shot from my living room window a couple of years ago, Spectral it's called.

Anyway it was due for release in August, it's finished but the company has delayed releasing it for reasons known only to themselves.

I just wondered if any film buffs know what the fuck is really happening.

I've no interest in actuality watching the film but it would be interesting to see the bits I saw being filmed, and of course to find out if it was any good.

I think it's out now on Netflix.

It must be really shite if they have bypassed putting it out as a real film in picture houses.

• 2 weeks later...