Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

EE: Aberdeen FC must get hang of 4-3-3

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1315624

ABERDEEN FC boss Mark McGhee is confident his men will quickly get to grips with the new system he wants them to play.

Aberdeen FC failed to get a shot on target in their 1-0 friendly defeat by 1860 Munich in Austria, despite McGhee going with three strikers.

But McGhee will persist with the system because he’s convinced it will bring more goals and entertainment for Aberdeen FC fans.

“We will learn as we progress because we have the personnel to cope with going 4-3-3,†said McGhee.

“I’m not happy we failed to create chances, but there were still encouraging signs in Austria.

“Sone Aluko and Lee Miller appeared to understand and play the system well enough in the first half.

“Chris Maguire seemed to understand it a little less but we will work on that.

“The next stage is clearly to get us creating more scoring opportunities.

“But when you have players as talented as Sone and young Chris in your squad you know that will eventually happen.

“The lack of chances wasn’t just down to the strikers, though.

“We concentrated far too much on keeping the ball, when getting it forward to players who had made good runs was the right option.

“But I expected that to happen in our first game going with the 4-3-3 formation, so it’s no big worry.

“Charlie Mulgrew and Richard Foster will also have to be encouraged to get forward to fill the holes down the side.

“They seemed a bit worried about getting up there too early and maybe running the risk of getting caught out.

“But once they have the confidence to do that, we will be fine.â€

4-3-3 never really worked before but if he is going to stick with it and hammer it in it may work.

It never worked because our last manager had it set up as a 4-5-1 which was really obvious with little support for our target man, I am sure it will work iof the players and McGhee put in the hard work.

Thats an interesting poinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I'd personally prefer we just mastered the 4-4-2 for now. Something smells a little tactically naive about 4-3-3 and while it pays great service to the demands for attacking football you have to be able to ensure you can control a game as well as run about like schoolboys looking for goals. I fear we will get out muscled in midfield by too many big teams who will play a dull but effective game against us. Huns, Hearts and UTD will all out box us if we play a sloppy 4-3-3.

I'd personally prefer we just mastered the 4-4-2 for now. Something smells a little tactically naive about 4-3-3 and while it pays great service to the demands for attacking football you have to be able to ensure you can control a game as well as run about like schoolboys looking for goals. I fear we will get out muscled in midfield by too many big teams who will play a dull but effective game against us. Huns, Hearts and UTD will all out box us if we play a sloppy 4-3-3.

Aye, it's a simple game!

I really don't like the idea of us playing a 4-3-3, didn't work under either JC or Skovdahl, but, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt sofar.

4-3-3 will work if we have two effective wingers. Mackie and Maguire can play on the wing, but they ain't really wingers.

Unless McGhee is planning on deploying the left and right forwards on the left and right edge of the box, rather than out on the wings. But that leaves us very thin on players on the wings.

I do not think our full backs are good enough defensively for a 433 to work as I can see the wide players of the forward three having to spend most of their time tracking back to support them meaning that the formation quickly becomes a 451. Also do not think that a midfield 3 of Kerr, McDonald and Duff is strong enough to play against at least one if not two more in midfield every week. Can see them getting over run. Would much rather we stuck with 442.

It never worked because our last manager had it set up as a 4-5-1 which was really obvious with little support for our target man, I am sure it will work iof the players and McGhee put in the hard work.

Perhaps because he didn't allow our full backs to overlap. One of the reasons I think that Jackie Mac was such a disaster at our club.

Guest fatshaft

Would prefer 4-4-2, as historically that's all we've ever been able to play.

But its the results the matters so hope this 4-3-3 works out.

historically, 4-3-3 gave us the greatest moments in our history

Each will have their own opinoon on this one and if it's good enough for Man U and Arsenal, it's good enough for the dons...besides everyone knows we've better players anyway  ;)

In summary, I wouldn't judge the 4-5-1 formation based on JC's application , just like I wouldn't judge Portugal as a bad family holiday destination based on the McCann's application.

Each will have their own opinoon on this one and if it's good enough for Man U and Arsenal, it's good enough for the dons...besides everyone knows we've better players anyway  ;)

In summary, I wouldn't judge the 4-5-1 formation based on JC's application , just like I wouldn't judge Portugal as a bad family holiday destination based on the McCann's application.

:lolabove:

I'll reserve judgement but certainly recently we've not been at our best when we've adopted said formation, but its a new manager with a new management style, so he may be able to get something out of the players that previous had been unable.

No surprise that Miller is adapting well, he seems to be an intelligent player. I still maintain we have a pretty thick squad meaning MM has a tough gig getting his tactics drilled home. 442 worked best because it was fairly simple.

I'm glad someone else picked up on this. Through one of his articles, may even be in this thread, McGhee mentioned that the team had taken his tactics too literally. That to me read that he found out our team is stupid too.

I'm glad someone else picked up on this. Through one of his articles, may even be in this thread, McGhee mentioned that the team had taken his tactics too literally. That to me read that he found out our team is stupid too.

It's one of the big differences between players at this level and those at say the Premiership... the ones at SPL level, in the main, don't have a clue how to play the game.  Look at the difference players like Gary Mcdonald or Barry Nicholson made to our side, simply because they had a bit of a clue about when and where to run.

It's one of the big differences between players at this level and those at say the Premiership... the ones at SPL level, in the main, don't have a clue how to play the game.  Look at the difference players like Gary Mcdonald or Barry Nicholson made to our side, simply because they had a bit of a clue about when and where to run.

Ex-fucking-actly! No surprise that he is a potential captain.